Antenna Booster Analysis

Hey guys- ( pre-apologize for the length of this- but it might be useful)

I'm a new P3P owner and it's a rainy day. I'm also an RF engineer. I've spent 4 decades optimizing
signals / antennas / transmitters / receivers. The Windsurfer style antenna boosters were a great idea for the Phantom series. Thing is, I can tell from it's design that nobody has really put the calculator to optimizing it. I'm going to do so. We can do a full analysis of the antenna's "gain" and "pattern". It's likely that the various basic designs of the ones out there are within 20% of a perfect design. They are close - but not optimum. I'll offer easy to understand theory here too- so folks can grasp exactly what is going on - and use these reflectors to the best advantage.

Part 1: The current reflector design is whats called a "Corner Reflector" or "Parabolic Reflector" antenna. The added part is the reflector. As you might imagine, it reflects the radiated RF from the controllers antenna - towards a forward direction instead of 360. Antenna designs don't amplify the signal, they concentrate it. And they don't just take the rear 180 degrees of radiated power - and face it forward. It's more complex than that.

Antennas are rated in "DBi gain". This DBi gain is compared to an imaginary pin-head antenna that has a perfectly even radiation pattern - like a 360 degree sphere. No antenna does this... ALL antennas have a "pattern" that is not equal in all directions. You design them to make the pattern you desire. The more you concentrate the power in one direction, the narrower the signal's "Beamwidth" becomes...like focusing a flashlight or hose. You don't get something for nothing! The signal is reduced to the rear. This is called the "Front to back ratio" - and is also in DB. Most times, you Want a lower signal to the rear. In our case, not so much.

Part 2: Because antennas are fed with RF energy of a certain frequency, the conducting elements of the antenna have to be "resonant". They have to be the correct length so that the RF wave reaches it's end - at the end of the antenna. If the antenna is not the right length, some of the power will be bounced back towards the transmitter and cause heat build-up. This is what's called SWR.. or Standing Wave Ratio. It need's to be 1 to 1.. or 1:1.Designers optimize an antenna's design for "resonance" and signal "pattern" (as well as it's beamwidth)

Part 3: In designing antennas, usually only one piece of metal is actually fed with the power from the transmitter. The rest of the antenna interacts with that "hot" element through the air (called "passive" elements). The spacing and size of all the other elements of the antenna have to be exact - to operate optimally. Changing these sizes will change the antenna's "pattern" of radiation. In the case of a corner reflector, the distance from the real antenna element and the reflector is critical. The size of the reflector is also critical. Usually, designers use a reflector with a fold /crease in it (like a "V") - rather than the parabolic reflector (smooth curve) like the windsurfer design. Corner reflector antennas like this can give 12-15DB of forward gain. That's about 13-17 times concentration of the power forward! They reduce the signal to the rear of the reflector by 25DB...That means that less than 1/100th of the original signal is going backwards. Up close, you can get to the Phantom if it was in back of your reflector antenna, but out at any range, if you faced away from it, it Would loose your signal using a "beam" antenna like this.

Part 4: 2.4 gigahertz is the band used by the Phantom (it uses 5.8ghz for other purposes). It is a microwave band just above microwave oven operating frequency (2.2ghz). It's known to engineers as "S" band. It is a "Line-of-Sight" frequency. Since it is so close to microwave oven operating frequencies, it too will be absorbed by water easily. Trees, leaves, dirt, rain...all convert 2.4 ghz into heat. Thus, your range will be near zero if you are blocked by any significant water-bearing thing. Wet bricks absorb 2.4ghz nicely. Conversely, if YOU are elevated to a good vantage point - above average elevation - and have a clear view of your Phantom over existing terrain, you can have phenomenal range. If you have normal trees and are at ground level, you'll have to increase the Phantom's elevation as you go away- to maintain line-of-sign signal conditions. The Phantom 3 uses a 4 element "Phased Array" with it's antenna elements in the legs. If you put a larger parabolic dish (like 24") on the Phantom controller, you could probably cover a range of 10 miles line of sight.

Part 5: Short... Antennas have polarity. They favor horizontal or vertical usually. If the transmit antenna is "cross-pole" or 90 degrees off from the receiving end, at least half the power is lost. The Phantom's antennas are Vertical. Your controller antennas should be too. Here is the catch: The craft rotates in relation to you. It's overhead, then it is in front...it's signal is bouncing all over the place and rotates in space before it gets to you. This was first seen in Spacecraft as satellites rotated and the ground stations had signal fading. The Russians invented the Helix- or circular antenna for this. It is the corkscrew design you see on one of the aftermarket antenna upgrades- AND the new Drone jammers. A helix transmits equally in both planes...half as much power in each though. A short one does not have much gain. FM stations use circular polarization in order to get to moving cars. Once you make the corkscrew longer, you get gain.. and narrower beamwidth.
(Like over 6 inches on 2.4 ghz)

Conclusion: Because of battery life, making a simple "Beam" antenna by making a reflector - will result in a range boost that is nicely in-line with your maximum travel range. If you go out in a straight line away from your starting point, you'll be able to get a few miles out there and come back with the stock battery safely. Without increasing your battery capacity significantly, there is no reason to boost range over 2-3 miles. Operating your Phantom past where you can see is is actually against FAA rules anyhow - and puts you at much greater risk of loosing your bird. The Controller is transmitting at 38 milliwatts -not much. But the Phantom is transmitting with around 750 milliwatts and the 4 elements in it's legs provide "gain". It wouldn't matter which side you improved the gain of the antenna on- the communications link between them would improve. The gain of the antennas helps the receiving side equally. Engineers sit there and run all the numbers (antenna gain, TX power, receive sensitivity, computer signal decoding gain, frequency path loss) to figure out weather the system is going to work- and over what distance. And Height is much more important than power and antennas. Get your controller up and in the clear- and you are in control!

Lastly: The Phantom's engineers have done a fantastic job in this RF system. Think of a router and how far WiFi goes on the same 2.4ghz band. The Phantom uses Spread Spectrum transmission techniques in which the computer decoding the signal can add gain - buy using what is called FFT - of Fast Fourier Transform. It is able to discriminate desired information from background noise by knowing what "should" be real information - mathematically. In other digital signalling systems, it allows decoding of very weak signals which are actually below the background hiss of the earth. Your GPS does this. All said, the Phantom system is highly optimized and certainly to be admired as a piece of engineering. Bob - AB5N

Excellent read. Thank you!

Even with a crappy simple windsurfer design, if you are elevated and are line of sight with the Phantom, you will have great range. It's about not having trees and buildings between you. Bob

I am not an engineer but I have done a lot of experimentation with the stock RC vs the windsurfers and I have shown the above frequently. I do a lot of long range flying and there are some places where I consistently hit 'blind spots' at roughly the same range and others where I get 5 km without a hitch.
The windsurfers definitely add a level of reliability and consistency in the places where 'blind spots' are a problem, but ultimately I am still limited (safely) to around 5.3 km (LOS) because of the batteries.

(Very good post!)

Last edited:
Excellent post and discussion. Thanks RF Guy and all the others for the info presented here, and also for keeping it real and positive. I agree that DJI has come up with some seriously sophisticated piece with the P3, everything considered. I've been into RC and hobby models for yrs and up until now we were not able to fly long distances smoothly with copters and planes, even less with cars and other devices - and certainly not with FPV for such amount of $! At some point it wasn't even an issue, at least not as it seems to be now lol.

So, to me the whole point in trying RC mods has always been more about the consistency of signal within desired range/distance than the distance itself. To that point, I've found a simple windsurfer works good enough, I've been able to get strong signal in situations/places where it has been weak or even LOS before, and was even able to try a long distance flight (3K+) a couple of times.

I totally understand pilots trying everything to establish distance and height records (even PRs), and won't lay judgment on actions even in light of the laws and limits, but I have enough fun flying bellow 3K/2mi with my P3 which for my previous parameters (I'd even say to any parameter) is already A LOT! Even though the battery would have been enough for maybe a 4-5K I decided it was enough to make me more confident when flying under my needs and brought it back.

To RF Guy and others, what do you think of the 32 channel hack in view of the explanations and points discussed here and the use of a windsurfer? I've got one tablet with the hack and the other with the GO app "OEM" but wasn't able to perform comparisons in performance so far, and the reviews vary altho most seem to get good, consistent and reliable signal with the hack in manual mode. Look forward to other opinions on this topic!

Thanks and regards!

32 channel hack will not deteriorate P3s performance in anyway. You have more options to select a channel with less interference around. Only question is does law of the land allows us to use those channels? Secondly, it's imperative that we monitor interference at the flight height and location to decide which channel is best for us. Checking at home point may not suffice.

I am not an engineer but I have done a lot of experimentation with the stock RC vs the windsurfers and I have shown the above frequently. I do a lot of long range flying and there are some places where I consistently hit 'blind spots' at roughly the same range and others where I get 5 km without a hitch.
The windsurfers definitely add a level of reliability and consistency in the places where 'blind spots' are a problem, but ultimately I am still limited (safely) to around 5.3 km (LOS) because of the batteries.

(Very good post!)

What is your recommendation for placement/positioning of the stock antennas?

I have the one piece and two piece windsurfers. I got the two piece so I could put the antennas V shaped. To me, it performs better V shaped with windsurfers on.

What is your recommendation for placement/positioning of the stock antennas?
I have not tried any orientation other than parallel, with the flat sides facing the quad. Everything I have read (except the post immediately above this one :p) suggests that is the most efficient.

Has anyone seen and/or experienced a RTH initiate after a loss of the RC signal at far distances? I've been playing around with flying up to 1.5 miles / 2.4 km away and have to admit that I always get nervous. I set my "low battery" alert to 40% and it's when I usually start to head back, preferably downwind.

Has anyone seen and/or experienced a RTH initiate after a loss of the RC signal at far distances? I've been playing around with flying up to 1.5 miles / 2.4 km away and have to admit that I always get nervous. I set my "low battery" alert to 40% and it's when I usually start to head back, preferably downwind.
As a matter of fact I have. I was about 16000' out. I wrote about it here:
New: HealthyDrones.com - cool health checks for your Phantom | Page 16 | DJI Phantom Forum

Yes, it happens and it is really hard time. Also safe parameters like RTH altitude set high, conservative battery level alarm help a lot. Almost always I was able to get control quickly soon after the lost of link. Having enough battery reserve allow to use a high RTH altitude (100m on mine) and insure a safe return.
Only one time the wind was too strong at some distance and pushed it behind a mountain, hard time but it comes back finally over the mountain as there was no more strong wind behind it.

Yes, it happens and it is really hard time. Also safe parameters like RTH altitude set high, conservative battery level alarm help a lot. Almost always I was able to get control quickly soon after the lost of link. Having enough battery reserve allow to use a high RTH altitude (100m on mine) and insure a safe return.
Only one time the wind was too strong at some distance and pushed it behind a mountain, hard time but it comes back finally over the mountain as there was no more strong wind behind it.

Wow..you got lucky! :)

For me the two piece wind surfer is good enough, well past 2mi typically. However I don't use them half the time, when I know I'm going to be less than a mile to my subject. For me the ergonomics of the two piece 3D printed wind surfer is the ideal range extender because the reflectors easily fit in my backpack. I also own the FVPLR setup on another craft, along with an amp also, which I use if I'm going over a mile. The FPVLR antenna is ergonomically undesirable from a backpack point of view, a hassle removing it using a wrench, and it still doesn't fit in a backpack very easy. Given the low cost, portability and performance, windsurfer's are great.

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
Hey guys- ( pre-apologize for the length of this- but it might be useful)

I'm a new P3P owner and it's a rainy day. I'm also an RF engineer. I've spent 4 decades optimizing
signals / antennas / transmitters / receivers. The Windsurfer style antenna boosters were a great idea for the Phantom series. Thing is, I can tell from it's design that nobody has really put the calculator to optimizing it. I'm going to do so. We can do a full analysis of the antenna's "gain" and "pattern". It's likely that the various basic designs of the ones out there are within 20% of a perfect design. They are close - but not optimum. I'll offer easy to understand theory here too- so folks can grasp exactly what is going on - and use these reflectors to the best advantage.

Part 1: The current reflector design is whats called a "Corner Reflector" or "Parabolic Reflector" antenna. The added part is the reflector. As you might imagine, it reflects the radiated RF from the controllers antenna - towards a forward direction instead of 360. Antenna designs don't amplify the signal, they concentrate it. And they don't just take the rear 180 degrees of radiated power - and face it forward. It's more complex than that.

Antennas are rated in "DBi gain". This DBi gain is compared to an imaginary pin-head antenna that has a perfectly even radiation pattern - like a 360 degree sphere. No antenna does this... ALL antennas have a "pattern" that is not equal in all directions. You design them to make the pattern you desire. The more you concentrate the power in one direction, the narrower the signal's "Beamwidth" becomes...like focusing a flashlight or hose. You don't get something for nothing! The signal is reduced to the rear. This is called the "Front to back ratio" - and is also in DB. Most times, you Want a lower signal to the rear. In our case, not so much.

Part 2: Because antennas are fed with RF energy of a certain frequency, the conducting elements of the antenna have to be "resonant". They have to be the correct length so that the RF wave reaches it's end - at the end of the antenna. If the antenna is not the right length, some of the power will be bounced back towards the transmitter and cause heat build-up. This is what's called SWR.. or Standing Wave Ratio. It need's to be 1 to 1.. or 1:1.Designers optimize an antenna's design for "resonance" and signal "pattern" (as well as it's beamwidth)

Part 3: In designing antennas, usually only one piece of metal is actually fed with the power from the transmitter. The rest of the antenna interacts with that "hot" element through the air (called "passive" elements). The spacing and size of all the other elements of the antenna have to be exact - to operate optimally. Changing these sizes will change the antenna's "pattern" of radiation. In the case of a corner reflector, the distance from the real antenna element and the reflector is critical. The size of the reflector is also critical. Usually, designers use a reflector with a fold /crease in it (like a "V") - rather than the parabolic reflector (smooth curve) like the windsurfer design. Corner reflector antennas like this can give 12-15DB of forward gain. That's about 13-17 times concentration of the power forward! They reduce the signal to the rear of the reflector by 25DB...That means that less than 1/100th of the original signal is going backwards. Up close, you can get to the Phantom if it was in back of your reflector antenna, but out at any range, if you faced away from it, it Would loose your signal using a "beam" antenna like this.

Part 4: 2.4 gigahertz is the band used by the Phantom (it uses 5.8ghz for other purposes). It is a microwave band just above microwave oven operating frequency (2.2ghz). It's known to engineers as "S" band. It is a "Line-of-Sight" frequency. Since it is so close to microwave oven operating frequencies, it too will be absorbed by water easily. Trees, leaves, dirt, rain...all convert 2.4 ghz into heat. Thus, your range will be near zero if you are blocked by any significant water-bearing thing. Wet bricks absorb 2.4ghz nicely. Conversely, if YOU are elevated to a good vantage point - above average elevation - and have a clear view of your Phantom over existing terrain, you can have phenomenal range. If you have normal trees and are at ground level, you'll have to increase the Phantom's elevation as you go away- to maintain line-of-sign signal conditions. The Phantom 3 uses a 4 element "Phased Array" with it's antenna elements in the legs. If you put a larger parabolic dish (like 24") on the Phantom controller, you could probably cover a range of 10 miles line of sight.

Part 5: Short... Antennas have polarity. They favor horizontal or vertical usually. If the transmit antenna is "cross-pole" or 90 degrees off from the receiving end, at least half the power is lost. The Phantom's antennas are Vertical. Your controller antennas should be too. Here is the catch: The craft rotates in relation to you. It's overhead, then it is in front...it's signal is bouncing all over the place and rotates in space before it gets to you. This was first seen in Spacecraft as satellites rotated and the ground stations had signal fading. The Russians invented the Helix- or circular antenna for this. It is the corkscrew design you see on one of the aftermarket antenna upgrades- AND the new Drone jammers. A helix transmits equally in both planes...half as much power in each though. A short one does not have much gain. FM stations use circular polarization in order to get to moving cars. Once you make the corkscrew longer, you get gain.. and narrower beamwidth.
(Like over 6 inches on 2.4 ghz)

Conclusion: Because of battery life, making a simple "Beam" antenna by making a reflector - will result in a range boost that is nicely in-line with your maximum travel range. If you go out in a straight line away from your starting point, you'll be able to get a few miles out there and come back with the stock battery safely. Without increasing your battery capacity significantly, there is no reason to boost range over 2-3 miles. Operating your Phantom past where you can see is is actually against FAA rules anyhow - and puts you at much greater risk of loosing your bird. The Controller is transmitting at 38 milliwatts -not much. But the Phantom is transmitting with around 750 milliwatts and the 4 elements in it's legs provide "gain". It wouldn't matter which side you improved the gain of the antenna on- the communications link between them would improve. The gain of the antennas helps the receiving side equally. Engineers sit there and run all the numbers (antenna gain, TX power, receive sensitivity, computer signal decoding gain, frequency path loss) to figure out weather the system is going to work- and over what distance. And Height is much more important than power and antennas. Get your controller up and in the clear- and you are in control!

Lastly: The Phantom's engineers have done a fantastic job in this RF system. Think of a router and how far WiFi goes on the same 2.4ghz band. The Phantom uses Spread Spectrum transmission techniques in which the computer decoding the signal can add gain - buy using what is called FFT - of Fast Fourier Transform. It is able to discriminate desired information from background noise by knowing what "should" be real information - mathematically. In other digital signalling systems, it allows decoding of very weak signals which are actually below the background hiss of the earth. Your GPS does this. All said, the Phantom system is highly optimized and certainly to be admired as a piece of engineering. Bob - AB5N
Finally. Thanks much

well i don`t know mats o physics... but i have the printed crappy design of windsurfers and i have to say that it works very good .... sure as the article says the design its not optimum but i`m very sure that it works...i have flown more than 3.5 Km whit no a single line of drop connection, i always get back because the battery , i know i can go further, at the same place and doing the same pattern of flight whit out the windsurfers i get 2.3 Km wen i start to have poor connection messages, and video signals drops, so i have my distance limited by the battery and my nerves

Attachments

• 20160211_133353.jpg
    20160211_133353.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write that. I learned alot and it's a breath of fresh air to hear from someone that really does know what they are talking about

RF Guy, if you wouldn't mind giving your opinion on the windsurfers I got, I'm concerned that the copper surface isn't smooth and has wrinkles on them, do you think that is a problem? Here are some pics

e39e40e4a1739de75e54065df09d84e8.jpg

f3340490456d8e3efafb90a67b6de271.jpg

4586848a1cc042afad3c3d8140bdfc3d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

RF Guy, if you wouldn't mind giving your opinion on the windsurfers I got, I'm concerned that the copper surface isn't smooth and has wrinkles on them, do you think that is a problem? Here are some pics
Normr I was wondering if Copper would work better then the thin metal tape that most of the wind surfers are made of. I seen one that the whole thing was made from aluminum. Maybe someone will pipe in and say if an are better.

I would never use those. The whole point is smooth and reflective

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member