9.23mi 40min Flight - Midnight Skunk Works!

Excellent response Def feel that. I would've shat myself. But confidence paves the way.

This spot in my town is very popular with lots of tourists and locals walking the boardwalk. I can't tolerate the same old questions. Call me a grump or whatever but I just like to focus so it had to be night time. I do have other more secluded spots to fly from the shoreline but that night, the wind determined my location.
This app is confusing

Two things. Turning lights back on may have helped your battery go faster. Don't think needed to land. But I'm just curious how when at critical battery it can keep flying and not auto land at some
Point? The bypass is maybe because of your mod? ****. 1%. I thought once at 10% or critical battery level that I would no longer have control of the aircraft? Am I missing this?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I turned the lights off on the way out to get rid of the red corners on the video... On the return I had no visual of the bird and I was preparing for 10% auto land so I knew I had to watch my altitude closely in DJI Go and I wouldn't be able to look up in the sky that much. I had no clue where it was visually since I was so nervous about it ditching into the water. I turned the lights on so that once it got to about 800ft away I could look up and quickly spot it to adjust the flight path. For 99% of this flight I was flying by navigating the map.

To answer your comment about the lights draining battery faster, I wondered the same. But if you look at the voltage, it doesn't have any major effect on it. I think the difference is trivial. I have not hooked a meter up to the lights but I believe they are only 5v? And to your other question, you can delay the auto land by "fighting" it with the stick UP. Watch again and see me fight it. If I let off, it starts to descend :)

I just realized you are "No Fly Drone" on youtube. I love your channel and ive been a subscriber for a long time.

One question. On your healthy drones signal map, it shows so few minor signal errors its strange to me. Does it always look like that?

I just realized you are "No Fly Drone" on youtube. I love your channel and ive been a subscriber for a long time.

One question. On your healthy drones signal map, it shows so few minor signal errors its strange to me. Does it always look like that?

Hey thanks man. I can imagine distance flights are pretty boring so I try to speed them up and sync them with some good tunes.
Minor signal errors are completely normal once you get pretty far out there. It usually is a little jitter in the video feed that's all. On this flight the Go app freakin crashed out 3miles. I think that's why I had a major signal error. I was in the dark for 16sec or something like that. That's why that crazy line goes way off the map on the replay. It doesn't affect the real distance numbers though. Have had that happen a few times now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NormanNormal
Well I noticed on my logs and others ive seen will get dozens of minor signal errors in green on every entry. Even at close range for some reason. It never seems to cause an issue. However on yours most entries are zero or one error even all the way out. Maybe its a result of your boosters? Does it normally look like that for you? Ive never seen a log like that.

Also im curious as to the psychology of this. How do you feel knowing your bird is out there 9 miles away all alone over open water at night no less? Must be an intense feeling. Especially coming in and landing at 2% battery over water. Were you worried at any point you bit off more than you can chew and you had lost it?

Reactions: Ed209
Well I noticed on my logs and others ive seen will get dozens of minor signal errors in green on every entry. Even at close range for some reason. It never seems to cause an issue. However on yours most entries are zero or one error even all the way out. Maybe its a result of your boosters? Does it normally look like that for you? Ive never seen a log like that.

Also im curious as to the psychology of this. How do you feel knowing your bird is out there 9 miles away all alone over open water at night no less? Must be an intense feeling. Especially coming in and landing at 2% battery over water. Were you worried at any point you bit off more than you can chew and you had lost it?

Yeah I was flying straight out over water and the Kp index that night was a 2 so there was really great conditions. I flew out pretty low and still had no issues. Full bars most of the time maybe lose 1 bar and get it right back. I've had flights where I get crap signal out to 5mi even with boosters and the log shows the errors. The boosters definitely help I'd say, although I've never run my setup without them.
I love the psychology of it! That's why I do it! I don't really get nervous over water or at night since I do that a lot. But pushing it and turning around at 45% I was prepared to lose it. You gotta be willing to accept that you are probably going to lose it eventually. I really gotta find a spot that is over land and has a clear shot, but this area isn't completely flat so water is the best. I was a little worried at 20% and still around 3mi out. Then fighting the auto land while still out over a mile got the heart pounding; I could feel it in my head! All I was thinking was "don't drop out of the sky right in front of me!"

@Ed209 (or anyone else that can help) - I'm sure it's been asked and answered somewhere in the forums - but I've searched and can't find it... Hoping you'll be able to point me to the answer...

How do you turn the output of your flight replay in the DJI Go app into a movie? I'm using iOS. Thanks in advance.

If you're on a mac computer you can use quicktime player then select new movie recording and you can select the iPad/iPhone as the device to record. It records in real-time so you have to just let it run. Not sure if it's the same for Windows.

@Ed209 (or anyone else that can help) - I'm sure it's been asked and answered somewhere in the forums - but I've searched and can't find it... Hoping you'll be able to point me to the answer...

How do you turn the output of your flight replay in the DJI Go app into a movie? I'm using iOS. Thanks in advance.
You should create a thread if you can't edit. Don't hijack another thread not related to topic. We will gladly help you figure out how to edit. But not here. It's not how the forum works. Good luck.

Windows simply get the app windows movie maker. It's pretty easy.

I watched this video several times. Every time, I'm like... WHHHHHAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT~. Sorry for the caps. This is the only way I could express myself on the internet.

Reactions: NormanNormal
If you're on a mac computer you can use quicktime player then select new movie recording and you can select the iPad/iPhone as the device to record. It records in real-time so you have to just let it run. Not sure if it's the same for Windows.

Thanks Ed - I'm glad you're a little less picky than some about what you will and won't answer.

I'm not looking for any editing help and it was definitely not worth starting a new thread to get the 4-line answer I needed from Ed. My question is not even all than unrelated since Ed did exactly this in the video he posted - so it's hardly a hijack - and once again - people complaining end up messing up the thread more than a quick and simple answer would have.

Thanks again Ed - your answer was exactly what I was after.

Awesome flight. Do you turn smart RTH off? What do you put your low battery warning and critical battery warning percents at? The battery progress line on the app is confusing a bit. I'm guessing the app itself has to be confused about actual available power. It didn't start ticking down till around 3 minutes and then stayed at 25 minutes for a long time. The yellow H progressed to the right and passed the battery line dropping and it kept on going to the right like it was not in sync at all with percentage drop. Since I'm doing the plug and play version shortly from horizon fpv, I guess I have to get used to understanding how things change in terms of reading battery dropping- and I make the voltage show as well. Wonder what that would show. Confusing, but I don't think I'd ever push it so long as to freak out that much.

I cancel the RTH when it pops up. The progress bar is as accurate as it can be because it doesn't go above 25min so at first it sits at --/-- for a while then stays at 25:00 due to the extra capacity mAh. The Go app does not account for wind speed on the return trip thats why I was able to push it well beyond when the app said to go home. Also, the critical battery autoland starts around 10-11%. On this flight it happened at 11%. So you have to keep giving throttle to keep it from landing. My low battery warning is at 15%. I wish it could go lower since it's not like I'm not paying attention to my battery [emoji3]. I don't like hearing the r/c beep at me. Adds to the anxiety!

I cancel the RTH when it pops up. The progress bar is as accurate as it can be because it doesn't go above 25min so at first it sits at --/-- for a while then stays at 25:00 due to the extra capacity mAh. The Go app does not account for wind speed on the return trip thats why I was able to push it well beyond when the app said to go home. Also, the critical battery autoland starts around 10-11%. On this flight it happened at 11%. So you have to keep giving throttle to keep it from landing. My low battery warning is at 15%. I wish it could go lower since it's not like I'm not paying attention to my battery [emoji3]. I don't like hearing the r/c beep at me. Adds to the anxiety!
Lol, I bet that beep gets the heart going, yes. Does disabling smart RTH help to eliminate that happening when the app think it has to? That's what I thought that setting was all about and why they give the option to turn it off.

Lol, I bet that beep gets the heart going, yes. Does disabling smart RTH help to eliminate that happening when the app think it has to? That's what I thought that setting was all about and why they give the option to turn it off.
No it doesn't. Smart RTH just allows you to control the bird during RTH. You can push right stick fwd to speed up the rth from the default 22mph. Some people rely on smart RTH so they dont have to worry about steering and just let it handle the angle and they throttle it up with the right stick to add speed.

No it doesn't. Smart RTH just allows you to control the bird during RTH. You can push right stick fwd to speed up the rth from the default 22mph. Some people rely on smart RTH so they dont have to worry about steering and just let it handle the angle and they throttle it up with the right stick to add speed.
So if you disable smart RTH, all you're doing is giving up the ability to speed up on the way in? Huh, didn't know that. I always have it on. At least now I know what it'll do for me. Thanks.

Actually, I think I'm still confused on this issue and it matters with prolonged flight even more.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1