9.23mi 40min Flight - Midnight Skunk Works!

Took the SOLID P3A out to 9.23 miles tonight. A direct result of the collaboration of some of the brightest, most innovative and "balls-of-steel members" (you know who you are), "Midnight Skunk Works" has achieved a major accomplishment in less than perfect conditions. This could go 10mi+ in ideal conditions. Video pending...

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

VTEBemY.png
What mods did you get and can you please share links?! [emoji173]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Challenge still stands. Cut-off time 8:00 PM tomorrow. All participants need to register on this thread. Furthest flight, 15 miles or greater, in 60 days takes the crown. Winner takes all. No winner, no money. Who is in?

Jerry

Challenge is stupid (I assume you know this and want to keep your money safe and just wanted a bit of drama)
Either that or wow, do you have a lot more money than brains!
Get your own thread. I've found it hard to read what should be a good thread through all the drivel you've posted on someone else's thread.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
15 miles, 30 miles total won't happen anytime soon at least not with a DJi product. I have only seen (online) 10 miles with a DJi Matrice 100 done by DBS Mods. 5 additional miles is a huge jump from there. I'm sure it'll happen someday but as Ed said the battery tech just isn't there, the power to weight ratio.

15 miles in one direction? Or specifically 15 miles from the RC? If it's just a 15 minute flight in one direction - it should be possible now with Ed's setup! All he needs to do is drop off a friend and his phantom somewhere - then drive 7 miles away lets say East, call your friend and have him power up the drone- ideally from the roof of a high-rise so you have line of sight. Then take off and fly east! The first 7 miles would be towards your position, and then the next 8 miles would be away from you. Is that good enough to enough to collect the $5k for 15km flight! Choose a starting point which will provide a strong tailwind for the entire flight and you can probably go 20km easily!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dnihilist
All,

I do need to apologize, I had more than one too many. I apologize for screwing up this thread and for wasting everyone's time. I am a Man of my word though so the challenge still stands. I'll go back and try to clean up what I can.

Congrats, Ed.

Jerry

In case you didn't know, it's over and resolved, just like ordinary American men. Now lets get on with the video Ed209 is working on.

Mr. NRJ,

I apologize to you as well. Maybe you can go through this thread and delete a few of your posts as well and we can give everyone this thread back.

Jerry

60 mph really 15miles 15 mins the quad does not do 60 mph to travel 1mile a minute you need 60 mph..

If you read this entire thread - any part of it - or just the subject line - you'd see that Ed was able to get 40 min out his current setup. So - even with no tailwind, at 35mph - he'd be capable of 23 miles in a straight direction.!

But maybe with the heavier battery configuration, he can't go 35mph anymore...? @Ed209 - what's the top speed of your drone when its configured for 40 min of flight (with no headwind/tailwind) ?

How did you go to FW 1.1.9 with new motors. I have a new motors P3P with FW 1.4, never been higher, and cant even go back to 1.3.2

With a fpvlr kit, do you thing it makes any difference whether it is a GL 300 A o r B ?
I got lucky when I bought this P3A brand new it happened to have 1.3.2 so I downgraded.

Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference on the controller since I'm running boosters.

If you read this entire thread - any part of it - or just the subject line - you'd see that Ed was able to get 40 min out his current setup. So - even with no tailwind, at 35mph - he'd be capable of 23 miles in a straight direction.!

But maybe with the heavier battery configuration, he can't go 35mph anymore...? @Ed209 - what's the top speed of your drone when its configured for 40 min of flight (with no headwind/tailwind) ?

I can definitely go the full speed 35mph and since I'm on fw 1.1.9 I can go faster with a tailwind. As you see in the log, I got up to 38.34mph. Max speed I've flown with this bird is 56.3mph when just breaking some batteries in on a windy day.

I can definitely go the full speed 35mph and since I'm on fw 1.1.9 I can go faster with a tailwind. As you see in the log, I got up to 38.34mph. Max speed I've flown with this bird is 56.3mph when just breaking some batteries in on a windy day.
I get 35-36 as well w/ all (3) models of P3 and that battery.[emoji41]

All,

I do need to apologize, I had more than one too many. I apologize for screwing up this thread and for wasting everyone's time. I am a Man of my word though so the challenge still stands. I'll go back and try to clean up what I can.

Congrats, Ed.

Jerry

Hats off to you for that post. Never easy to admit when we've done something wrong/silly.

Im just a rookie (even though Im 49 years old) and your my new hero! Maybe when I get all growed up I can be just like you! And I think your lying.....you had to be wearing chainmail armor!
Awesome job keep it up!
Rick K from Athens Texas

I guess the last thing a Skunk Works quad needs ... for that extra mileage ... is a mini-electrogravitics "lift" drive? For that you'll need ... clearance "Q".

Im just a rookie (even though Im 49 years old) and your my new hero! Maybe when I get all growed up I can be just like you! And I think your lying.....you had to be wearing chainmail armor!
Awesome job keep it up!
Rick K from Athens Texas
Don't doubt too much in the drone world. As it's an obsession to too what was previously done. I believe he did it. I'm thinking of nice setup if I can not have wires hanging all over the place. :)

Why not day for better footage?

This spot in my town is very popular with lots of tourists and locals walking the boardwalk. I can't tolerate the same old questions. Call me a grump or whatever but I just like to focus so it had to be night time. I do have other more secluded spots to fly from the shoreline but that night, the wind determined my location.

Hey all... Just posted the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Two things. Turning lights back on may have helped your battery go faster. Don't think needed to land. But I'm just curious how when at critical battery it can keep flying and not auto land at some
Point? The bypass is maybe because of your mod? ****. 1%. I thought once at 10% or critical battery level that I would no longer have control of the aircraft? Am I missing this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31