9.23mi 40min Flight - Midnight Skunk Works!

Thanks. I've done 10.28mi since...Now it's just a matter of having optimal conditions.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome result.
I thought the World was round though not completely flat!!!
Don't you have any hills?
Where is that? Midwest somewhere?

What type of lights or setup do you use to fly at night? Ive tried buying some cheap led lights (24 leds in a circle) but so far neither of them worked. I have a phantom 2v+ and Im looking for something they will work but fairly easy to install since Im no genius when it comes to electronics. I can solder really good and I do have some knowledge on the subject. Please help!

I just have stock lights.

Awesome result.
I thought the World was round though not completely flat!!!
Don't you have any hills?
Where is that? Midwest somewhere?

That was the point, to fly in a flat area for max range. My home area has more hills and so I had to actually travel 45min away in order to get this boring,flat,land.

That was the point, to fly in a flat area for max range. My home area has more hills and so I had to actually travel 45min away in order to get this boring,flat,land.
Well I thought I was going out of my way driving 20/30 mins for a perfect fly spot? You got me beat! we like to fly that's for sure!!

Im looking more at just a headlight/ forward light to allow me to maybe use camera at night or just to make it look cool. Maybe if this idea dont work then I might try something like that but right now Im trying to do headlight only. If anybody has any simple ideas or know of a kit please let me know.

Im looking more at just a headlight/ forward light to allow me to maybe use camera at night or just to make it look cool. Maybe if this idea dont work then I might try something like that but right now Im trying to do headlight only. If anybody has any simple ideas or know of a kit please let me know.

Have you ever seen a police search helicopter with the big light on it that points at the ground? It only lights up a small area on the ground - and it's large and heavy.

There is no way you'd be able to affix any kind of light to your phantom that will help with using the camera at night - however, if you just want it to look cool - and be more visible to other possible air traffic - there are lots of the LED style lights on Amazon for the P3 series which I've used successfully. They come with a connector that slips over the existing battery terminals so you don't need a secondary power source.

I think you mentioned you had a P2 though. I've never gone looking for them for a P2 - but Amazon would be the first place I would check for them. If they aren't available there, you'll probably need to do something custom - perhaps with one of the self-adhesive P3 LED headlights. Powering it should be your only challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I always thought, maybe wrongly so, that smart RTH was an algorithm that kicks in a RTH automatically when it calculates, between distance from home point and available battery power remaining, it's necessary to do so. Different than the RTH button on the remote or a soft button on the screen for the user to instantiate, it's an automatic failsafe to help avoid the pilot unwittingly getting too far out to be able to safely land because of not enough battery power to do so. I'm still not sure that's what the smart RTH setting does, but it sure makes sense that's the explanation of it. And by disabling it, the pilot turns off that safety net and takes on the calculation themselves. What I question is whether in a modified battery setup, is the smart RTH calculation still accurate or is it adding something to have to cancel out of unnecessarily? Or more to the point, am I completely wrong about what I think smart RTH actually is, and does. Not the RTH button, but the smart RTH setting that can be enabled or disabled in the app settings.

Yes it's still accurate, I have tried it.. It calculates the distance back by the % of battery you have remaining.. And with a battery mod, since all battery's will be connected In parallel, it will be more like one giant battery vs 2 or 3 separate smaller packs. The onboard computer doesn't know the difference and just reads it as a whole I guess you could say. so yah the quad still reads the % pretty accurately..

If doing long distance you always wanna make smart rth is off.. You were correct that once you get out of that "safe to fly back zone" that the quad will automatically initiate rth.. So when log distance flying.. You always want this feature turned off, but yes of course you want to always pay very close attention to your battery levels when doing this, cuz if you do one miscalculation with wind speed, wind direction, air temperature, or distance, your have a very good chance that your quad is NOT gonna make it back ... Speically when your out at this kinda range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an amazing flight.. Have you guys ever seen Keith's flight?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course. Keith is a great pilot!

Ahhh.
My girlfriend is from Kansas and it doesn't get much flatter lol.
Which, Kansas or your girlfriend? Sorry, couldn't help the bad shot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers