8 Times Charged 98% Battery Life

Reaction score
I have only charged my P3S eight times and yet the battery life is already down to 98% - I live in Iowa, and it's been quite cold, but I've only flown it under the recommend minimum temp once. I never store the battery at full charge (more like 50% - 75%).

Any idea what might be going on? Anything I can do to restore the battery or prevent further "damage"?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Lipos have a limited life which is stated on the DJI website. The short end is about 50 cycles, I believe it is rated to 150 cycles, but I may be wrong on that.

Search the forum. Here are a couple...

Battery complete life | DJI Phantom Forum

Battery life | DJI Phantom Forum

That only states what the warranty is... I wonder what the most amount of cycles people have gotten with the P3 battery. Seems many only get >50. I suppose it depends on how it is cared for too.

That only states what the warranty is
Right on. But, if DJI rated them at less than 200 cycles, that would be extremely odd since they feel the batteries should make it to 200 cycles.

Right on. But, if DJI rated them at less than 200 cycles, that would be extremely odd since they feel the batteries should make it to 200 cycles.
No dispute there. I am curious to know what DJI research showed for the longest life they achieved in testing.

Reactions: Noah Buscher
got 47 flights and battery is at 97 percent run it down to 30 all the time

I have only charged my P3S eight times and yet the battery life is already down to 98% - I live in Iowa, and it's been quite cold, but I've only flown it under the recommend minimum temp once. I never store the battery at full charge (more like 50% - 75%).

Any idea what might be going on? Anything I can do to restore the battery or prevent further "damage"?
Mine did the same thing in the beginning. But after I did a deep cycle discharge, it went back up to 100%

Reactions: Noah Buscher
Can any one provide a name or link in the U.S. of a device or easy process to perform a deep discharge? Sometimes I THINK I am out for a full day of flying but suddenly I can't and have a load of fully charged batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can any one provide a name or link in the U.S. of a device or easy process to perform a deep discharge?
I have this battery discharger. The bulb gets super hot, so you need to be careful when using it. There is also a similar option that discharges with a fan.

Sometimes I THINK I am out for a full day of flying but suddenly I can't and have a load of fully charged batteries.
By default, the batteries will start auto discharging down to a safe storage level after 10 days. The discharge process takes about 2 days to complete. If you press the button on the battery, that 10-day period will be reset. This is the best way to discharge your batteries when you're not planning on flying for a while.

You can change that 10-day period in the "Aircraft Battery" section of the DJI GO app. The DJI GO app must be connected to your Phantom when modifying this setting -- and, it must be done for each battery.

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.png

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing in the beginning. But after I did a deep cycle discharge, it went back up to 100%

Did you use a special tool like discharger to discharge a battery or you use only a drone?
After how many normal charges you use deep cycle discharge?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav