Battery Charging/Discharging - How do You do It?

Reaction score
I've read numerous and multiple threads on numerous and multiple forums about the care and feeding of the P4P Intelligent Flight Battery. And I'm confused.

(These comments and observations may apply equally to any and all DJI batteries; however, as I fly a P4P, I use that AC as a reference. I'm also not looking for a chemistry lesson surrounding the science behind Lipo batteries. I do want to understand and hear how others handle the vague information surrounding this topic. )

The one common theme everyone agrees with is these batteries should not be stored fully charged for an 'extended period of time.' DJI sets, as a default, a maximum storage time of 10 days at full charge before the batteries begin a self-discharge cycle to a state of 50% of full charge.

I have seen quite a number of YouTube videos and read quite a few threads, where pilots recommend changing the default self-discharge setting from 10 days to three. Another recommends five days, and another states he never lets his batteries sit with a full charge for more than 24 hours. Most say they leave theirs fully charged and on the 10 day default setting for self discharge, but may fly and recharge multiple times within that 10 day window - so the batteries are never stored at the preferred 50% level, but always fully charged. (BTW, it apparently takes a fully charged P4P battery three - four days to self discharge to the 50% storage level. It is much faster to charge a depleted battery from 20% or more to 50%.)

Even though DJI has benchmarked the 10 day window as being an appropriate and/or reasonable time to allow the batteries to remain fully charged before automatically self discharging for longer storage, I haven't found anywhere in the manuals or GO App settings where it addresses this, including the other charging tools DJI makes available, other than to state the automatic self discharge default is set at 10 days. In every instance I could find where battery storage was addressed, time in storage was only referenced as 'an extended period of time.'

So the question is, what exactly is an 'extended time' as it pertains to the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery?

For my routine, I fly on a full charge, return, fully charge the discharged batteries and pack them away for the next flight. I have five batteries and numbered them to start keeping track of their use. I've had my P4P since the end of January and have flown approximately three dozen flights. Some flights have been as much as 20 days apart, due to weather, etc. If I knew for certain I wouldn't be able to fly for a month or more, then I would store my batteries at 50%. However, for routine, regular, flights - say at least once or more in a week, or a couple of flights within a two week window - is it really necessary to keep batteries at 50% for the few days between flights?

What do you do?

Storage at any time......2 bars on the battery. ( Approx...25/40%) give or take. I have 3 two year old batts maintained this way....No issues and still work great. ( Over 100 Charge cycles). Self discharge set for 3 days, or 7 days,depending. Just maintain them at the 25% to 40% level regardless of how or how often you fly. They will last.....all of your wording above was a waste of rederick IMO.

Even though DJI has benchmarked the 10 day window as being an appropriate and/or reasonable time to allow the batteries to remain fully charged before automatically self discharging for longer storage, I haven't found anywhere in the manuals or GO App settings where it addresses this, including the other charging tools DJI makes available, other than to state the automatic self discharge default is set at 10 days. In every instance I could find where battery storage was addressed, time in storage was only referenced as 'an extended period of time.'

So the question is, what exactly is an 'extended time' as it pertains to the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery?
What's best is whatever setting keeps your batteries from sitting around with a full charge for most of the time.
If it could be several days or weeks between flights, only half charge them and top up when you know you will be flying

Reactions: svjobeth
Storage at any time......2 bars on the battery. ( Approx...25/40%) give or take. I have 3 two year old batts maintained this way....No issues and still work great. ( Over 100 Charge cycles). Self discharge set for 3 days, or 7 days,depending. Just maintain them at the 25% to 40% level regardless of how or how often you fly. They will last.....all of your wording above was a waste of rederick IMO.

Thanks for the input -

What's best is whatever setting keeps your batteries from sitting around with a full charge for most of the time.
If it could be several days or weeks between flights, only half charge them and top up when you know you will be flying

Well put - thanks!

This is what do. I have 4 batteries 2 years old (P4). About 100 charges each. Store them at 50% , I use the dji charging hub for this. Full charge on fly day and try to get back home around 20%. When I have 2 batteries left and only need another 20 minutes I will use the 2 batteries down to 50%. The most I have left my batteries fully charged is about 1 week and my auto discharge is still set at 10 days. 2 years later and over 8 million feet with around 100 cycles and my battery life is still 4 full lights on the battery and the last time I checked airdata said 94% life on that battery.

Also, I have read that letting them sit discharged/idle over 30 days could render them non-chargable. I can't imagine not flying 30 days, so this isn't one of my concerns.

This is what do. I have 4 batteries 2 years old (P4). About 100 charges each. Store them at 50% , I use the dji charging hub for this. Full charge on fly day and try to get back home around 20%. When I have 2 batteries left and only need another 20 minutes I will use the 2 batteries down to 50%. The most I have left my batteries fully charged is about 1 week and my auto discharge is still set at 10 days. 2 years later and over 8 million feet with around 100 cycles and my battery life is still 4 full lights on the battery and the last time I checked airdata said 94% life on that battery.

Good information - thank you for the input.

Also, I have read that letting them sit discharged/idle over 30 days could render them non-chargable. I can't imagine not flying 30 days, so this isn't one of my concerns.

Hmmm, are you referring to batteries being stored with a deep discharge? Say, at 20% or less? I've not seen information on this for batteries stored in the 50% range of discharge.

I can't imagine not flying for that amount of time either...it could happen though, I suppose. Thanks for the input!

So...I'm hijacking my own thread...sort of...but curiosity has taken hold again:

After my last flight, I charged all of my used batteries to 50% and discharged my unused batteries to around 50% as I'm not likely to fly again for two or more weeks. But a nagging question arose and I've not found any info on it: how should the P4P+ remote controller be long term stored?

Should it be stored at roughly 50% capacity, as the Intelligent Flight Batteries are? It just happens to be at 55% at the moment. I've decided to leave it there until I charge the flight batteries.

So...is this a good practice? I wouldn't leave the RC on a deep discharge, say 25% or lower, but is there harm in leaving the RC fully charged for a few weeks, or even months? Is treating it as an Intelligent Flight Battery a better idea?

So...I'm hijacking my own thread...sort of...but curiosity has taken hold again:
Take a deep breath my friend. I keep the RC at 2 to 3 Bars. Sometimes I don't fly for quite some time, but I always check charge every 2 to 3 weeks or there about's. It takes about 5 min to just do the check on AC batts and controller.

Take a deep breath my friend. I keep the RC at 2 to 3 Bars. Sometimes I don't fly for quite some time, but I always check charge every 2 to 3 weeks or there about's. It takes about 5 min to just do the check on AC batts and controller.

LOL, it's good. As I said, curiosity is all. That, and I found it odd there are so many discussions on the care and feeding of the flight batteries, but next to nothing on the controller battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj