Your highest altitude flown?

Reaction score
After seeing quite a few unconfirmed youtube videos of Phantoms being flown to unbelievable heights, I wanted to see what other pilots on this forum would-honestly- say is the highest altitude you have flown your Phantom.
Here, in Canada, Transport Canada cautions that 400 feet is the limit, but we all know Phantoms are flown above that every day. Pretty hard to police the restriction.
If you are flying in a wide open space and your aircraft won't endanger anything , I don't really see any problem with seeing what it will do. Not something you would do very often, but perhaps every once in awhile.

Some of these youtube videos are unbelievable. I have my doubts when someone says they have flown their Phantom beyond 4,000 feet using stock equipment.

I have flown my Phantom II Vision Plus up to 1,080 feet on a clear day with light wind.
No problem at all with WiFi or any control.
Nice photos taken from that height.

How high have you flown?

I honestly don't know. But if I had to guess I would say I haven't flown it above 400ft, FAA regulations limit you to that, and I live just outside the 5 mile range of an airport...6.5 so I try to be safe about it.....and that's the honest truth.

If you are flying in a wide open space and your aircraft won't endanger anything , I don't really see any problem with seeing what it will do.

If you are flying out of sight how would you know the space is wide and open :rolleyes:

I hit the built in limiter on one occasion. Just under 400'. I too do not wish to break the law.

Someone post a link to said "law". I would like to see something beyond the "recommended" 400' elevation.

Hit the limit yesterday in San Angelo. I was filming & shooting images for a Memorial park. It is a 40+ acre park. I took it up to get a shot of as much as I could get. I got the warning Height limit reached:)

Hit the limit yesterday in San Angelo. I was filming & shooting images for a Memorial park. It is a 40+ acre park. I took it up to get a shot of as much as I could get. I got the warning Height limit reached:)
You have the new Vision Plus 3.0, correct?
I guess the 400 foot ceiling is built into the software,right?
So, even if you wanted to exceed that, the Phantom won't let you.

If you are flying out of sight how would you know the space is wide and open :rolleyes:
Straight up from the middle of a huge 3 field soccer complex.
Clear,bright day with little wind.
I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it,but I did want to see what my Phantom would do.

The Phantom I was flying at the time was the Vision Plus and did not have the altitude ceiling limit built in.

Since then, I have purchased the Vision Plus 3.0 and I understand the altitude ceiling has been installed into the software.

Straight up from the middle of a huge 3 field soccer complex.
Clear,bright day with little wind.
I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it,but I did want to see what my Phantom would do.

The Phantom I was flying at the time was the Vision Plus and did not have the altitude ceiling limit built in.

Since then, I have purchased the Vision Plus 3.0 and I understand the altitude ceiling has been installed into the software.

You can change the limits.

How do you do that?

If I wanted to change the altitude limit to, say, 600 feet, how do I do it?

It's on the limits tab in the advanced section in the assistant.

If I wanted to change the altitude limit to, say, 600 feet, how do I do it?

You plug in to the naza assistant and on the page for the limits you just enter 600 for your height limit then. hit ok on the pop up window that says some thing about it being at your own risk and that dji takes no responsibility yada yada yada and then the new limit is set.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrmccabe
Where I am it is the law, but anyway other aircraft are clear down to 500'. Why would anyone want to risk going higher in those circumstances?

to the moon.....
alice_5bff98fdfa0d697debc8c15fac1f3d3423b30481_zps9i0vesrf.jpg

1014 feet...

Last edited:
1015 feet...ha

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Reactions: DevildogSoldier
4000 feet plus is absolutely doable with stock equipment on a p2v+. Phantom needs to be 300feet horizontally away from you, side facing you and your transmitter aimed directly at phantom entire time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.