Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The infamous lose or week signal, max range 50m FW update bugs?

Discussion in 'Standard' started by Daito, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Daito

Greeting all. I'll be as descriptive as i can give you as much info as i can.

So, I along with others i see are having issues with there DJI Phantoms not getting above a set height. some people are reporting 150m 200m.
    For me i cant even get above the height of my house before the RTH kicks in and wants to land the craft.

Just a little back ground info about this drone (Phantom 3 Standard) :
    I acquired this drone for Free!! No ITs not stolen. I was clearing out a house for a home owner who rents out homes and the tenant left, left every thing in the house and the home owner said i can keep any thing i find of use and bin the the rest. And as luck would have it i come across the drone, The kids are going Nuts at the moment with this thing..
    After inspecting the drone at home i noticed that one of the blades was damaged, so iv replaced that after fining some blade in the original box along with the tool to help remove the blades.

what Iv done so fare from day 1 of acquiring it:
    • Charged every thing, RC, drone, downloaded the DJI Go app and turning every thing on for the 1st time i was promoted with an update Firmware v01.09.0200. I done that right away before even flying the thing.
    • Done a test flight, that was a success. confirmed to my self that every thing is looking like it working as it should.
    • while at the testing area i though i would give it a altitude test to see if i could get above the tree line where i was. The trees are no bigger then say 10-15m or so.
    • At that height a message pops up on the DJI Go app saying lose/ week signal. Then hear a voice say "returning home"
    I get home start looking in to whats going on,as I know and have see these drones go way out in the distance from Vids iv seen on YT.

since that 1st flight what iv done.

• Downgraded the FW to v1.05.7 manualy
    • Updated the FW bk to v1.09.02 from the DJI App
    • downgraded bk to v1.07.9 from the DJI App
    • Downloaded the FW v1.09.2 manual
    • checked the log reports on the Text file you get on the SD card all saying success.
    • read a post on here saying to log out of DJI GO app and log back in as it rests this 50m hight restriction
    • flowed some instructions on Youtube for how to reconnect the RC to the drone, re calibrate the compass/gps
    Now i'm here looking for any kind of info, maybe im missing some thing or just doing it wrong.
    I see a post on here of people taking about FTP and setting the UK file/code to UK OK. but that kind of thing is way out my league. On the same thread there are some vids or people taking the drone apart to do some soldering work on the Circuit broad.

if any one can help or have any suggestions it would be much appreciated

#1 Daito, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Daito

My FW results if this helps

Attached Files:

3. Daito

A short Clip of whats going on with this thing..

4. RodPad

5. Daito

ya, im all over the net looking for any thing that might help.

6. Daito

OK, just an Update.
    I have been testing the Drone a little more to day.

with these settings.
    RTH Altitude 100m
    Max Altitude 120m
    Max flight Distance 120

My thought were, that if i did not input the information in to the DJI Go App to tell the drone the height and distance I wanted to fly it would just, by default. Limit the drone to 20m range and cut out the signal and RTH would take over and bring the drone bk, witch it did but some thing interesting happened this time!!!

Rather then just RTH. It increased in altitude to 100m then it started moving to where it 1st took off.

So i'm started to get the impression that the FW update is fine, the drone is fine but its the RC that is at fault..

So before i send it in to these guys Heliguy - Quadcopters, Drones and Training - DJI UK Dealer
    How do I update the FW on just the the RC and how do I check the FW on the RC is uptodate since i done the update from the DJI Go app?

7. Oso

Oso

Are you always checking this by flying directly overhead as in the video you posted?

8. Daito

im flying is all directions possible. fly straight up was just to get the signal loss to show up on the app.

Oso likes this.
  9. Daito

Just an Update:

looks like I could be sending in the drone to these guys Heliguy - Quadcopters, Drones and Training - DJI UK Dealer
    As every thing I have tried is just producing the same result.
    It could set me back £175.
    I will sleep on it before I make a decision as to whether its worth it or not. Up to now the drone has cost me nothing. So I could look at it as being a £175 purchase.

I'll keep this post updated with any results if i go ahead with this.

10. elent1

Are you,by chance, in beginners mode?

11. Daito

Nope, 100% sure im not in beginner mode.