You are not Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this forum was to discuss the art of drone flying, equipment, etc. ................

Reactions: PJC5301
I thought this forum was to discuss the art of drone flying, equipment, etc. ................
Don’t understand these type replies
True the thread may be better suited for Off Topic sub-forum but aren’t there other threads here for you to view?

Do you have to browse? reply?
How is this thread souring your chat forum experience?

It seems to be on thread topic at least.

Reactions: With The Birds
I have a relative working in an alphabet agency he assures me no such thing as anonymous if they want to find you....lol...i dont want to be a tes case, do you?

Don’t understand these type replies
True the thread may be better suited for Off Topic sub-forum but aren’t there other threads here for you to view?

Do you have to browse? reply?
How is this thread souring your chat forum experience?

It seems to be on thread topic at least.

It's an opinion. My opinion. BTW, with 8,048 messages you must live on this thing.

Why are we so quick to make smart remarks to someone just giving info. Take the advise it or leave it but let’s not make folks feel that can’t post without someone attacking.
Because the advice is not correct. Even the link the OP supplies includes the following: "Given enough time and effort, traffic correlation data can be used to identify users".
In other words your IP address is not enough.
I spent many years working with law enforcement in the UK, US and Canada on internet fraud and believe me, if you could identify people from their IP address the jails would be full of erstwhile scammers.
When we nailed bad guys it was through other methods; IP addresses were only a first indicator of whether the bad guy was in a jurisdiction where it was worth putting in the effort to pursue them.

Reactions: Providian623
It's an opinion. My opinion. BTW, with 8,048 messages you must live on this thing.
Well been around a while. ~4yrs.
Shared a lot, learned a lot, over the years.

I have a relative working in an alphabet agency he assures me no such thing as anonymous if they want to find you....lol...i dont want to be a tes case, do you?
You can only become a test case if
Because the advice is not correct. Even the link the OP supplies includes the following: "Given enough time and effort, traffic correlation data can be used to identify users".
In other words your IP address is not enough.
I spent many years working with law enforcement in the UK, US and Canada on internet fraud and believe me, if you could identify people from their IP address the jails would be full of erstwhile scammers.
When we nailed bad guys it was through other methods; IP addresses were only a first indicator of whether the bad guy was in a jurisdiction where it was worth putting in the effort to pursue them.

I totaly agree with you. I was on a Metropolitan Computer Crimes Task Force and the IP address was just the tip of a very long, and often frustrating, iceberg. Jurisdiction, and was it worthwhile to pursuit, were always the lead questions. The prosecutors wouldn't touch the cases unless we had a laundry list of investigative information. Spoofing IPs is so easy now days.

Reactions: John Decker
I'm a retired commercial pilot and also an RC helicopter enthusiast. I'm been flying RC aircraft since 1979. And an AMA member longer than that.
I've read the comments about being paranoid. Since I've worked under the rules and enforcement by the FAA for over 40 years, I would suggest being paranoid is good advice. Know the rules and follow them, and you won't have any worry about what you post on social media.

If you’re using Hola, a free virtual private network (VPN) that lets you stream things like Netflix abroad, you need to stop immediately. The company behind Hola is turning your computer into a node on a botnet, and selling your network to anyone who is willing to pay.

Security researchers discovered multiple security flaws in Hola and published their findings on a site called “Adios Hola.”

“Hola is harmful to the internet as a whole, and to its users in particular,” researchers wrote.

So what’s the big deal? By using Hola as a VPN, you can view any content that might otherwise be blocked in your location by routing your traffic through the U.S. or whatever country you want your content to be in. But Hola turns your computer into an exit node without your permission, essentially letting anyone browse the Web through your network. Any malicious activity could then be traced back to you.
Agreed - Hola is bad news. Stick with a reviewed and rated VPN. The Opera browser contains a Tor client if I'm not mistaken or maybe it's a VPN. It's fairly easy to use Tor or another Onion routing network.
But as far as forums go the horse is likely out of the barn since you likely didn't consider the privacy ramifications when you joined any of the forum sites. I'm a mod on a couple and most moderator tools make short work of comparing IP's with users since periodically we ban someone and they try to sneak back in.

https://lifehacker.com/what-is-tor-and-should-i-use-it-1527891029

I know I am in the minority but if you consistently break the laws then you should get into a different hobby, start collecting paper dolls or something. Yes, I know when I first got my P3A I stretched the legs and went out way beyond VLOS but I did that like twice. Since then I have got a Mavic and a couple of Sparks and I have never went over 400' high and mostly fly on my property which is VLOS as I live on acreage.

I guess I am confused as to why so many people must always break the rules. But, as of the moment, I am enjoying the freedom we have but I can virtually guarantee that things will change and I'm sure most people won't like the changes. It could be anything such as restricting the flight distance, making it so we can only fly in certain areas, or even have real invasive tracking info. Possibly even very high fees to fly, actually they have tons of options. Who knows? But I think it is only time before a major change to the hobby will be seen. There are just getting to be too many of them out there coupled with so many irresponsible pilots.

I just try my best to be a responsible hobbyist and enjoy the freedom we currently have.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Phill2
Actually that's seldom true these days - unless you force a lease renewal you can almost bank on it staying the same for a very long time.
Also, If the FAA comes to my ISP, a month from now, and asks WHO was assigned, 192.168.0.1, on Feb 3rd at 7:42pm, TRUST ME, they will be able to find out. Regardless of whether or not my dynamic IP has been reassigned since then. That being said, yes, a VPN WILL hide you and not everyone who uses a VPN is a hacker.

This
3de14286611990815c98f431c30954c1.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07 and Brojon
Not that I do anything illegal but if you fly in airplane mode with no internet connection no-one knows where you are.
But they find out afterward when your flight data is uploaded to DJI. That upload must happen automatically because my complete flight records show up on the P4A controller, even those that I flew with my original P4, and I never affirmatively either uploaded the old data to DJI or transferred it from one controller to the other. That's probably why you MUST be logged into your DJI account with GO4 before you fly or it will cripple your flying to low and nearby with no camera control or FPV.

Reactions: The Springs
Also, If the FAA comes to my ISP, a month from now, and asks WHO was assigned, 192.168.0.1, on Feb 3rd at 7:42pm, TRUST ME, they will be able to find out. Regardless of whether or not my dynamic IP has been reassigned since then. That being said, yes, a VPN WILL hide you and not everyone who uses a VPN is a hacker.
You do realize that IP addresses using 192.168.xxx.xxx are one of three private IP blocks - right?
That means those IP's are issued by your routers DHCP server and are invalid in the "outside" world.
You typically only have one IP assigned by your ISP to your modem - you'd have to go into your router or modem configuration to find it.
THAT IP is the one that gets logged.

You do realize that IP addresses using 192.168.xxx.xxx are one of three private IP blocks - right?
That means those IP's are issued by your routers DHCP server and are invalid in the "outside" world.
You typically only have one IP assigned by your ISP to your modem - you'd have to go into your router or modem configuration to find it.
THAT IP is the one that gets logged.
But how can they trace you if you upload your footage on a pay as you go mobile sim on a mobile pay as you go phone? I never give real details at all. I created my YouTube, Facebook, etc... All by using a throw away sim. Even the phone I used to create it never had any of my real details on there. Just fake ones. That sim and phone has been gone years ago.
They got close, but no cigar ! LOL

Sounds like you were sufficiently paranoid.
What I typed was in response to someone who mistook their local IP for what is logged in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic