You are not Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I'm a tech illiterate who doesn't know DNS. I was trying to encourage people to use this forum for constructive and responsible sharing of valuable information rather than posting and boasting about questionable practices and possibly enticing some who might not otherwise go there to the DARK SIDE! I consider myself properly chastised thank you.
So please to preserve peace, don’t throw words on people like that, calling others “hackers”.

Paranoid much , so your really expecting for law enforcement to come to your door over what it said on an Internet forum , lolol
I think this person is just trying to stir things up--maybe to get people like us to give him/her some attention but it sure is fun reading all the doomsday stuff lol.

Reactions: Brojon
Yes they can:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
lol - I was waiting for that one.
The National Park Service has been hyper vigilant as soon as they were given the right to regulate photography.
Note - photography - as in cameras no drones, imagery and video in general.
They even tried slapping people with "professional" cameras fines because they might have been shooting commercially - for which they want you to apply and pay for an expensive permit.
The Professional Photographers of America, PPA, even got involved.
Just like cops seizing money and property on general suspicion the NPS is loving these new income streams.
So I would not count the NPS as in the same league as the FAA.

Reactions: weldor
Well terrorists are using drones and I'm willing to bet that some go onto these forums, and trying to become anonymous to hide from the government. The government can see EXACTLY what you are doing on the internet. Every word you type, every word you read, every thing you search, every site you visit. And they know EXACTLY who you are! Even with the feature in Google Chrome called "incognito tab", they can still see all the info. And it all boils down to your IP address. Once they have your IP address, they can do all that! So they in fact CAN see who you are and when you post about flying illegally, they can do some mighty things!
Puh-leaze. Enough with the sweeping generalizations and chicken-little thinking.
Are you anonymous? Likely not. Most people are plenty informed enough to know this without being lectured at. We are for the most part much more tech savvy than average.

Can you spoof your IP and hide info - yes, easily with TOR, VPN's - many many ways to be anonymous that requires vigilance.

Does it mean you have something to hide? - heck no. Maybe someone just thinks what they do and where they've been in none of anyone else's business.

Does it mean there are terrorists lurking? - lol lol lol lol. Listen - it's already well known that they have experimented with drones - they certainly don't need to come here to find sinister uses for drones. I doubt any of us even have the mind set to come up with these sorts of twisted uses.

So please, give the rhetoric a rest already. The OP post wasn't informative IMHO it was designed to be inflammatory and chicken-little, nay, even trollish in nature.

Last edited:
Not that I do anything illegal but if you fly in airplane mode with no internet connection no-one knows where you are.
But if you then talk about it in this forum they will. I think that is the point.

So please to preserve peace, don’t throw words on people like that, calling others “hackers”.
Being a hacker was once considered a great honor. It's unfortunate that the term became completely associated with evil doing folks.
Kinda like a rogue superhero who doesn't use his powers for good.
Hackers are usually brilliant people - far smarter and more knowledgeable than the average Joe and use their powers for good.
Ever heard the term "black hat vs white hat" ?
I have several friends that we all discuss compsec - many of these folks are involved in network intrusion and are experts in the field - white hat hackers.
White hat (computer security) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: droningandmore
It seems I need to spend an unacceptable amount of time getting special permission to fly in places where “NO DRONES” is the rule. The real issue with flying beyond FAA guidelines is that it provides documetation to those who would like to take away more and more of our freedom to fly.

It seems I need to spend an unacceptable amount of time getting special permission to fly in places where “NO DRONES” is the rule. The real issue with flying beyond FAA guidelines is that it provides documetation to those who would like to take away more and more of our freedom to fly.
Well said!

Just a friendly reminder to people that are posting descriptions of their illegal or unsafe behavior, whether it's flying beyond VLOS or any other infractions of the laws of the land. YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS. The IP address of each and every member of this and every other forum is easily accessed and traced, and if the feds or other LEOs take exception to your actions, you can and will be found. Admittedly it seems like a stretch to think that they will come get you for an infraction as insignificant as flying into a low cloud or maybe flying just a little too close to an airport without giving notice or receiving authorization, but if they decide to make an example - do you really want it to be you? My advice is to use this forum to share valuable information and learn more about your hobby or business and leave the self-aggrandizing "I flew 10 miles out through fog and shot this great video of elk running terrified from my drone" for your friends.
You live in Singapore is it?

Not that I do anything illegal but if you fly in airplane mode with no internet connection no-one knows where you are.
You need to watch this because they are able to track when you are in airplane mode
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Phill2
Also, sea gulls are federally protected, something as simple as buzzing them at a beach could possibly turn into federal charges if you accidentally kill one. And in the hunting rules in your state, there will be rules for harrassing game animals, etc. Game wardens dont slap wrists, they write tickets-there's no learning curve. I think the FAA had been gracious to the guys on youtube that have have been given warning letters, this grace will probably dry up eventually. Educating ourselves is paramount but sadly not enough the way laws change and are enforced. Good luck everybody.

You can post anonymously using a rouge VPN such as Hola
If you’re using Hola, a free virtual private network (VPN) that lets you stream things like Netflix abroad, you need to stop immediately. The company behind Hola is turning your computer into a node on a botnet, and selling your network to anyone who is willing to pay.

Security researchers discovered multiple security flaws in Hola and published their findings on a site called “Adios Hola.”

“Hola is harmful to the internet as a whole, and to its users in particular,” researchers wrote.

So what’s the big deal? By using Hola as a VPN, you can view any content that might otherwise be blocked in your location by routing your traffic through the U.S. or whatever country you want your content to be in. But Hola turns your computer into an exit node without your permission, essentially letting anyone browse the Web through your network. Any malicious activity could then be traced back to you.

Good advice,thanks, you may get some alternative responses.
Understatement of the century.

Really, some of the technical and legal ignorance, know-it-all BS and outright hubris displayed by some of the other participants here is quite amusing.

The first thing that came to my mind by the way, was an incident some years back where I had some less than nice (but perfectly well-deserved) things to say in a blog (before there were blogs!) about the technical prowess of the tech support folks in the Philippines manning the phones for Linksys. A few of those folks, in a dramatically self-proving display of that very lack of prowess, left some personal threats on a web site. It was a snap to find those folks because the web site logged their IP addresses. And it was a snap to have them fired, too. But frankly that was all amateurish stuff, "back in the day" when some folks though that hiding behind a NAT was helpful...

Things have evolved substantially since then and the world is fuller now than ever of people who genuinely believe that VPNs, TOR, free WiFi access, short-lease dynamic IP addressing, MAC spoofing, browser privacy or cloaking modes, etc. (along with the hopes of limited LE manpower) will save their butts. If y'all think the tools aren't in place to connect the dots, you're wrong. The only difference is that the extra work involved may make the low-profile targets not worth the bother.

It is not unlike using a Kryptonite New York Legend 1515 to secure a US$100 bicycle from Wal*Mart. Try that lock and chain overnight on a Cervélo in East New York and see what happens.

So no, the MIB are not gonna come after you for sharing Marx Bros torrents but if you endanger wildlife or people and brag of it online you could wind up finding out where the Three Letter Agencies' (or in some non-US cases, Four...) proverbial lines in the sand are drawn. Do you really want to find out the hard way? Is it worth it to you??

Nota bene especially US users, as this forum is not subpoena-proof. It's hosted on US -based servers run by a US -based company, and the folks who own the site are in the marketing business. What do you think is the likelihood of a direct marketing business standing on supposed privacy grounds to protect your personal info? How many of you have actually read this web site's TOS and PP? How did you miss the part where it stated: "Profound Interests will cooperate with official law enforcement inquiries, such as fraud investigations and subpoenas, and will disclose your information when necessary to comply with state and federal laws and regulations."?

Reactions: Cyclone2390
Wow! that's a very broad statement and not necessarily correct. If you know how, you can be anonymous anywhere on the Internet. Take this post as an example the IP address has been deliberately spoofed (only for the purpose of this post) and will be logged by the forum script as if it came from another European country and not the UK. I could just as easy use IP 175.45.177.93 which is in North Korea, but your FBI would probably have a panic attack. :rolleyes:

Our FBI? The guys that couldn't have found the twin towers when they were still standing w/o a Port Authority cop pointing it out to them ....... that FBI?

Obviously from some of the posts here and around the forum, not everyone does know what they are doing, either with their phantom or with the internet.

Ok so now you've identified yourself as a hacker. Nice move. I suspect you didn't bother to spoof your IP address when you joined this forum though, so yeah, they know where you are. But maybe you did come on this forum for the purpose of posting about illegal activities and DID actually spoof your IP address to join up. WOW aren't we all impressed. Even though many teens (like you) are tech savvy, many are not and I expect that many of those have drones and join forums to find out about them. These poor innocents may not actually understand that nothing they do on the internet is private, unless of course they are hackers which has already been negated. SO I guess I should have stipulated that YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS unless you're a (good) hacker.

Not necessarily a hacker. Just a VPN user. Masking your ID online these days is almost mandatory. So many nefarious agencies looking to harm, rob or otherwise annoy decent folk in this world, and the US is culprit number one. Prism for starters, and Echelon for another. Better to be safe than a victim. Not to say bad people should hide, but they usually do. It is just good practice to look your doors at night, set the alarms and stay anonymous online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.