How to modify FAA policy, anyone?

There are currently 14 107.31 (LOS) waivers that have been issued for use under Part 107. And each of those are large corporations or DOD subcontractors.

So you odds of getting one are pretty much nil.

107.31 is one of the areas of concentration for UAS Integration Pilot Program (UASIPP). You can find info on that here: UAS Integration Pilot Program

This is a 2-3 year program, and from that, we will get some new regulations for BVLOS, over people, and a few other regulations subject to waiver.

While I don't want to dissuade you from attempting, the odds are very much against you for getting one. The FAA is just not issuing them. It would be a waste of you time. The companies that have those waivers employ a cadre of lawyers. So expect to spend a ton of money to get this.

As far as situational awareness, as others have mentioned, where your drone is located is the least important part of situational awareness.

Situational awareness is more about your surroundings. What are you flying near, and what's flying near you.

UAS are the low men on the totem pole, so by law we must give way to everything else man-made that's in the air. If you can't see it you can't avoid it. It's that simple. That's the crux of the term situational awareness.

And to be honest, you've scared me a bit when I read "From what I have read and seen posted on forums, if we stay at 400 feet or below, we would have no issue beyond VLOS". Please don't take what is written in forums at face value. There are a ton of good meaning folks that give very bad information. Always check with either the FAA, or a lawyer when you're talking about changing 107 regulations. BVLOS is not height dependent.

I wish you luck in your pursuit.

Last edited:
There are currently 14 170.31 (LOS) waivers that have been issued for use under Part 107. And each of those are large corporations or DOD subcontractors.................I wish you luck in your pursuit.

Well said Mr. Moss :)

Maybe I'm missing something. I fly a P3P and I only know what my altitude is above the ground from where I took off. I don't fly that high so I'm not too worried about busting 400 feet when I fly within visual line of sight. The only altitude readout I'm getting is above where I departed, beyond that it's pretty much a guess as to how high I am agl. If someone wants to fly 2 miles away from where they departed, how can they know how high they are above ground? What instrumentation or setting are you using to let you know how high you are agl at any given time? The point is, it's not just about situational awareness and available technology. It's about taken that and knowledge on how to operate in the National Airspace System. The FAA and other organizations are working on this. The day is coming when operating a UAS will be very similar to operating a manned aircraft. You will have to have ratings and certifications to fly in particular circumstances, situations and type/sizes of UAS. In my opinion the 107 "certificate" everyone holds today, in the future, will only be good for flying a 5lb UAS in VFR conditions in Class G airspace within VLOS.

Last edited:
Another thing that is not helping your cause is constant idiot behavior. A local news station here in Las Vegas ran a story just yesterday (KTNV Action News on Twitter) where a drone pilot flew his craft above an airliner incoming to McCarran. Of course, the news people were blowing the whole thing out of proportion by displaying an Inspire, making the viewing zombies believe these giant things are flying all over the place.The point is, this guy was above 400' and well within 5 miles of the airport. The video made It look like it was a P2V(+) or some other mfgr or some home made thing (wide angle, no gimbal). Even if this guy notified the tower, they probably would have said that is our approach, find someplace else to fly.

I think you have misunderstood the purpose of VLOS - it is in order to be able to maintain situational awareness around the aircraft, particularly in order to be able to see/hear and avoid other aircraft. The video feed provides only a very limited view and the maps are useless for that purpose.
I agree. Honestly, I think there’s a snoball’s Chance in he!! Of getting that policy changed. It’s a safety issue and the FAA is not likely to change their VLOS policy.

Attention all drone Pilots for future reference so that you do not lose sight of your drone the FAA is proposing all drones fly attached to them a 100 foot diameter glow-in-the-dark bright orange balloon that can be seen from a distance of 12 miles problem solved.....rofl

Attention all drone Pilots for future reference so that you do not lose sight of your drone the FAA is proposing all drones fly attached to them a 100 foot diameter glow-in-the-dark bright orange balloon that can be seen from a distance of 12 miles problem solved.....rofl
Haha! Maybe, instead of RBFL, it would say ABFL.

On a more serious level, maybe equipping serious operators with ADS-B Out and allowing operators to talk with ATC over a HH w/ Headset would help the regulators separate the serious operators from the toy flyers. I know, it would take a lot of changes to existing regs, but they won't change unless we speak up and present some options. /soapbox :wink:

Having worked on a UAS NAS integration effort for the FAA, long before the current program, I can assure you that we are a long way from BVLOS ops on a wide scale. To achieve this will require redundant and diverse control links to the aircraft as well as real time NAS compatible position data and communications links, regardless of altitude.

I can also attest to one observation from my P4P flights. Hearing approaching aircraft also plays a role. My only close encounter thus far was aided a great deal by hearing an approaching powered aircraft.

I have had 3 near misses in my powered aircraft flying career. Being able to see the other aircraft was all that saved it from being a horrible situation.

This issue is best handled by allowing technology to catch up and current software and hardware to be much more reliable than the current state before we press for exceptions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic