So what makes them so special that they are above the rules?

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Well, do you have any hard data to support your opinion? The fact is you have the same than I do, none. If you take look at DJI forums, every two or three days a new thread pops up about a mid flight power shut down and those are the ones that get reported in forums, they are probably many more unreported, out of warranty, etc. Also we have the related problem of charred battery connections which also shows up here and in DJI forums quite often. I believe that P4P battery problems are quite widespread and it is behind DJI stock issues and discontinuation of the P4P line but I don't have data to support my opinions. If I made a SORA based study to certify a certain operation to my country regulator, I can not tell why my P4P batteries could fail, how many or which batch is failing and what is DJI doing to fix it. Therefore, the regulator won't allow me to operate in demanding enviroments. That's the difference between my drone and the ones talked about by the OP.

For the serius aviation industry, "extremely rare" is an useless concept. If a drone used by a company doing deliveries in an urban area does a mid flight power shut down, it does not matter that the ocurrence could be "extremely rare", they will have to prepare a ton of papers publicly explaining why it failed, how many or which ones are affected by the design error and what they will do to fix it, if they want to keep flying.
I've been contributing and reading here since 2015, and have personally logged over 30,000,000 feet, during over 900 flights, on dozens of DJI aircraft, and have never personally had a battery failure in flight, and our almost 100,000 members are not plagued by battery failures. Such reports are extremely rare, and often are unverified conclusions used to justify what was really pilot error, when the aircraft has not been recovered, which would have established the true cause of a crash. YMMV.

Last edited:

sar104

Aut disce aut discede
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Well, do you have any hard data to support your opinion? The fact is you have the same than I do, none.
So you have no data, but you are making the assertion that it's a significant problem that DJI is refusing to address?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Reaction score
And my manual says the drone weighs. 5 lbs so that's 112 grams there abouts all I'm required to do is put my Nam eand address on the bird so if something happened they can still hold me liable also can't be less than 9 km as the crow flies from any hospital or air port
So that your aware 250gr is about a half pound . Your aircraft is well above that limit.By June 1 you are required to register it with Transport Canada and you are required to pass one of the online exam and receive your RPAS pilot certificate.

Reaction score
So that your aware 250gr is about a half pound . Your aircraft is well above that limit.By June 1 you are required to register it with Transport Canada and you are required to pass one of the online exam and receive your RPAS pilot certificate.
Yeah I saw my math was way off for some reason I was thinking a qp don't know why. I've registered my drone, but am still reading the literature for the test. I took the test already and got 62% but need 65% to pass. That was with out any kind if reading or study. They got me on the abbreviations. Ima try again when I'm done with a few books.

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Yeah I saw my math was way off for some reason I was thinking a qp don't know why. I've registered my drone, but am still reading the literature for the test. I took the test already and got 62% but need 65% to pass. That was with out any kind if reading or study. They got me on the abbreviations. Ima try again when I'm done with a few books.
Get a Tello! Registration free! ;)
On sale now, too!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gknaps