You are not Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how can they trace you if you upload your footage on a pay as you go mobile sim on a mobile pay as you go phone? I never give real details at all. I created my YouTube, Facebook, etc... All by using a throw away sim. Even the phone I used to create it never had any of my real details on there. Just fake ones. That sim and phone has been gone years ago.
LOL- you would be real easy to find Mate.... I think your first day here you posted a litchi log depicting a flight from outside where you live. Someone close to you would give you up if anyone was sniffing around looking for you. And it’s probably fair to say you don’t only log on with your pay as you go mobile device. Even if you did just one power up with a SIM card that has legit details and the IMEI number is in a log. That IMEI can them be used to link the dodgy sim to you. Connect your phone to a wifi router and there is potential for the MAC address to be logged. Even one top up by credit card to the pay as you go and there is another lead.

Reactions: Neon Euc
You do realize that IP addresses using 192.168.xxx.xxx are one of three private IP blocks - right?
That means those IP's are issued by your routers DHCP server and are invalid in the "outside" world.
You typically only have one IP assigned by your ISP to your modem - you'd have to go into your router or modem configuration to find it.
THAT IP is the one that gets logged.
As literal and pedantic as I can sometimes be, even I assumed that kerrylaw wrote that so as not to randomly choose someone's actual IP address. Of course I could have been wrong...

That said, the modem to which the router is connected (or embedded) is gonna belong to someone. And the router probably does some logging. It might even advertise its routing tables.

His point as I read it remains valid, which is that even though you may wind up with a different IP address just by re-powering your modem (mostly to break the balls of people who don't want to pay crazy money for static addresses) is no reason to assume that the ISP doesn't log every single IP address allocation with a time stamp, the modem's or modem/router's MAC address, etc.

If we really want to be pedantic we can discuss whether or not today's modems are really modems or codecs.

They will the FAA is looking to make examples out of people in the drone world right now. [emoji91]
View attachment 94665

A few corrections.
Teen = Retired Surgeon
Hacker = Creator of one of the first online medical databases in UK
... and that is more information than you deserve.

You're obviously not aware that the vast majority of people use a dynamic IP address which are issued by your ISP from a block of IP addresses that they lease. Every time you connect to their service you will be allocated an IP address. That IP address is NOT fixed to your router/network permanently, unless you have actually bought a fixed IP address, but not all ISPs will sell you a fixed IP.

Anyway, the information someone can gather from an IP address is limited as follows:-

Your ISP, Country, Region and City.

It will not provide your Name, Address, Street, or Telephone number.

Right, now here's a test you can do for youself.

Go here.

You will see your current IP address and also your location. Take a note of the IP address. Switch off/on your router and let it reconnect with your ISP. When connected you will have a different IP address. You may have to switch your PC/Laptop off/on for it to reconnect to your router.

No anger, or name calling in my post. Have a nice day.

Dynamic IP addresses are not changed as often as you think and your provider will know who that address was assigned to especially if it's coming from your satellite or cable provider. I use a VPN, so my IP shows me connecting from a totally different state. (my phone and iPad use it as well) I use a VPN because of the Net Neutrality mess created by Congress. You can best force an IP change by issuing a DHCP release from within your router's config page.

Reactions: Brojon
Paranoid much , so your really expecting for law enforcement to come to your door over what it said on an Internet forum , lolol

A little over a week ago, some idiot uploaded video of his racing drone flying directly overhead a 737 on short final to LAS. The video was sent to the FAA and the FBI. Yes, they are definitely looking for him. It's no joke.

Edit: You can see the video under the "FAA Violation - Another Idiot" thread.

Hmmm. how do you know that...

Because I live in Vegas and this idiot's video was on our local news which included a comment from McCarran airport. I don't make stuff up.

But they find out afterward when your flight data is uploaded to DJI. That upload must happen automatically because my complete flight records show up on the P4A controller, even those that I flew with my original P4, and I never affirmatively either uploaded the old data to DJI or transferred it from one controller to the other. That's probably why you MUST be logged into your DJI account with GO4 before you fly or it will cripple your flying to low and nearby with no camera control or FPV.

So if Dji uploads , does litchi do the same ?

LOL- you would be real easy to find Mate.... I think your first day here you posted a litchi log depicting a flight from outside where you live. Someone close to you would give you up if anyone was sniffing around looking for you. And it’s probably fair to say you don’t only log on with your pay as you go mobile device. Even if you did just one power up with a SIM card that has legit details and the IMEI number is in a log. That IMEI can them be used to link the dodgy sim to you. Connect your phone to a wifi router and there is potential for the MAC address to be logged. Even one top up by credit card to the pay as you go and there is another lead.
Lol yeah my footage in the past was a give away, I give you that [emoji23] I just wanted to know in general if it was possible being tracked with my cheap sim and phone theory. I don't have anything to hide. But I don't like being watched over either [emoji39]

Lol yeah my footage in the past was a give away, I give you that [emoji23] I just wanted to know in general if it was possible being tracked with my cheap sim and phone theory. I don't have anything to hide. But I don't like being watched over either [emoji39]
Go upload your stuff using a sock acct at a internet cafe and you'll be fine

Reactions: Neon Euc
Maybe I should have wrote "how do you think VPN benefits you" so you wouldn't have just fallen back on links that tell me stuff I know already.

Even with those regulations fully in place you were still being tracked as much is practically possible. The only thing VPNs did for you was make some of the information hazy. You're still in the Matrix. Everything about you is still being bought and sold. If you don't like it, there's a nice shack in Montana where you can get started on your manifesto.

VPNs do have plenty of benefits of course. But seriously, most of those benefits have nothing to do with net neutrality.

And if one were to be interested in concealing his or her tracks when posting evidence on an Internet forum of having done obscenely stupid s*** that endangered hundreds of lives, one would do best to accept that even if the VPN is subpoena-proof, that mechanisms still exist to connect the dots. So better not to brag on the Interwebz about doing stupid s*** that endangers people's lives, and best not to do stupid s*** that endangers people's lives.

Reactions: higherperspective
I remember an aussie case where a guy - a solicitor I think - strapped a (fake) bomb around a girl and then ran off to the US where he used an 'anonymous' google account to call in the ransom. He even used a public wifi in an airport.
Google cooperated and with the footage from surveillance cameras in the airport, he was caught.
So even if IPs don't provide all the evidence, if the authorities want to find you, they will.

Last edited:
Good point.
I suspect most places, including cafes, could have imagery which can aid in ID if necessary.

ok I'm a tech illiterate who doesn't know DNS. I was trying to encourage people to use this forum for constructive and responsible sharing of valuable information rather than posting and boasting about questionable practices and possibly enticing some who might not otherwise go there to the DARK SIDE! I consider myself properly chastised thank you.
I agree with your logic.. but more importantly.. Not only shouldn't you post illegal flights but you shouldn't be doing them. No flying near airports.. no 10 mile range testing etc. etc.. There are still plenty of places to fly and things to record if your a flying legally.
Wow! that's a very broad statement and not necessarily correct. If you know how, you can be anonymous anywhere on the Internet. Take this post as an example the IP address has been deliberately spoofed (only for the purpose of this post) and will be logged by the forum script as if it came from another European country and not the UK. I could just as easy use IP 175.45.177.93 which is in North Korea, but your FBI would probably have a panic attack. :rolleyes:
Yes.. but you don't need someone's IP to track down who they are. Especially when they post a video on their FB page.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just a friendly reminder to people that are posting descriptions of their illegal or unsafe behavior, whether it's flying beyond VLOS or any other infractions of the laws of the land. YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS. The IP address of each and every member of this and every other forum is easily accessed and traced, and if the feds or other LEOs take exception to your actions, you can and will be found. Admittedly it seems like a stretch to think that they will come get you for an infraction as insignificant as flying into a low cloud or maybe flying just a little too close to an airport without giving notice or receiving authorization, but if they decide to make an example - do you really want it to be you? My advice is to use this forum to share valuable information and learn more about your hobby or business and leave the self-aggrandizing "I flew 10 miles out through fog and shot this great video of elk running terrified from my drone" for your friends.

Just a friendly reminder to people that are posting descriptions of their illegal or unsafe behavior, whether it's flying beyond VLOS or any other infractions of the laws of the land. YOU ARE NOT ANONYMOUS. The IP address of each and every member of this and every other forum is easily accessed and traced, and if the feds or other LEOs take exception to your actions, you can and will be found. Admittedly it seems like a stretch to think that they will come get you for an infraction as insignificant as flying into a low cloud or maybe flying just a little too close to an airport without giving notice or receiving authorization, but if they decide to make an example - do you really want it to be you? My advice is to use this forum to share valuable information and learn more about your hobby or business and leave the self-aggrandizing "I flew 10 miles out through fog and shot this great video of elk running terrified from my drone" for your friends.
Kind off the cuff.......I work in live radio.....for a week at work when I received phone calls....I would ask "if you are on the higjway...and the speed limit sign says 55....how fast do you go?"

Probably asked 20 people....all but 2 said "oh you can get away with 63 or 65...do it all the time"....and my response..."why don't you just go 55?.....silence was the common answer....point being that flying your bird over 300 feet falls into the "gentital extension" area. Don't ruin our fun...please!

Ok gang you've killed this thread.

*THREAD CLOSED*

Reactions: twenty4pack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl