Why use dangerous Litchi app?!?

D

Deleted member 109724

I know, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I have a simple question. Why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of a third-party app called litchi with so many horror stories? DJI GO has its problems, but litchi seems to cause many fatal crashes. Everyone I know who has used litchi has also had fatal crashes. I always use DJI GO, and I haven't crashed once! (I also fly very carefully and never try to pull off crazy stunts, but that's a side note...) I understand Litchi has lots of fun tools to make your drone do so much more, but think about it, your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do! IMO, that's, well... (No offense,) cough, cough... I'm open to listen to anyone who can prove to me that litchi is safer than DJI GO, maybe you'll be able to get me to switch![emoji4] (Who Knows...)

Reactions: oten502
1527350455369.jpg

I've analyzed a lot of crashes and lost drone events, and to date I cannot think of a single one caused by a fault in the Litchi app. By far the primary cause of crashes is pilot error, followed by much rarer cases of hardware failure.

Using Litchi does introduce a number of extra possibilities for error, since mission planning is not trivial, but that's still pilot error. The vast majority of Litchi-related problems have been due to incorrect altitude settings (hitting obstacles) or insufficient battery capacity for the planned mission, especially in windy conditions.

I think that you should re-pose your question - why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of an untrained pilot who can't be bothered to read the manuals?

I've analyzed a lot of crashes and lost drone events, and to date I cannot think of a single one caused by a fault in the Litchi app. By far the primary cause of crashes is pilot error, followed by much rarer cases of hardware failure.

Using Litchi does introduce a number of extra possibilities for error, since mission planning is not trivial, but that's still pilot error. The vast majority of Litchi-related problems have been due to incorrect altitude settings (hitting obstacles) or insufficient battery capacity for the planned mission, especially in windy conditions.

I think that you should re-pose your question - why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of an untrained pilot who can't be bothered to read the manuals?
Ahh, you make sense! I have never crashed because I read the manuals and trained and fly carefully, but maybe people get too ambitious with litchi and it causes crashes if they are crazy and don't know what they are doing?

But still, I don't think I'll ever use Litchi. Just in case the unthinkable happens and litchi causes an accident, I don't have the kind of money to just buy a replacement drone. Besides, I'm not a fan of automatic stuff, it makes me feel uneasy. The camera never leaves manual mode on my drone, same on my DSLR camera, the dial never really leaves the "M" position. I even tried the follow me mode on DJI GO once, it followed me for about 5 feet, then it took off flying sideways and almost crashed! That's the last time I tried one of the automatic functions in DJI GO. I rarely use return to home as well! Call me old fashioned but I land it manually almost every time. Call me even older fashioned, but the only movies i watch are from the 40's to the 70's. (I'm rambling again, aren't I?)

Besides, I'm not a fan of automatic stuff, it makes me feel uneasy.
Litchi has "manual" mode just like GO does. There is no need to use the extra features unless you need them. I use Litchi exclusively and have never had an issue thus far. Personally, I prefer it over GO in every aspect. The only reason IMO to keep GO is for some general maintenance features that Litchi does not have. But overall, again IMO, Litchi is the better app, hands down.

Litchi has "manual" mode just like GO does. There is no need to use the extra features unless you need them. I use Litchi exclusively and have never had an issue thus far. Personally, I prefer it over GO in every aspect. The only reason IMO to keep GO is for some general maintenance features that Litchi does not have. But overall, again IMO, Litchi is the better app, hands down.
Nice to hear that you're successful with that. I only care about taking good Photography and making good videos, so I'll probably stick with go, it does fine for me.

Nice to hear that you're successful with that. I only care about taking good Photography and making good videos
You would be surprised at the different results...........Much better IMO......

Reactions: tribar
Never used anything but Go app and Never had an issue so I guess we will all have to agree to disagree .
If I wanted an app to fly my drone for me I might look at it but other than POI's I'm good with Go .
I don't do waypoints so that not an issue with me with the Go app .

I have no experience with the “dangerous” version of litchi. I do use the standard litchi on occasion and have never had an issue with it.

Litchi and other third party apps use the DJI SDK to interact with the AC. People who have tried to convince you litchi caused their AC to crash are either ignorant of what the true cause of the incident was or are trying to deflect from their own poor planning or judgement.

@Weston Ney Photography,,
You Again?

You are a irritating neighbor!

Ha,Ha :)

"your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do!"
Your purchasing software that has options that Dji-Go (Stupid Name) doesn't have.
Dji-Go (Stupid Name) was included with your purchase.:rolleyes:

"wasn't built to do"
You must have some good Intel :rolleyes:;)

"I don't have the kind of money to just buy a replacement drone."
There maybe a ratio here?

Pictures and videos results vs risk? (No matter what app you use.)

"The camera never leaves manual mode on my drone, same on my DSLR camera, the dial never really leaves the "M" position"
You are or attempting to use your Phantom for profit?
You bought a Phlying Fantom Phor Fotos.:D

Yes, I leave mine on auto and set something at a -0.8?
I use mine for fun, learning and looking around my house.
So far I have stayed in my county, but I might venture to the West. ;)

Looked clear on take off.
Doubled speed for Vimeo
Oh, A usually use the Lowest resolution not after quality , just the footage.:)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cell Phone;)

DJI_0187.compressed
Learned something today, this web sight won't let you embed more that five media files.;)

Anyways..
You can do a fly-over anytime and you can use SN (Stupid Name) :rolleyes:
Make sure you use the Otto mode! :eek:

otto.jpg

Rod

Last edited:
Hi Weston:

Depends if your only goal is to only take still photographs or videos that have a single axis of movement. Then the DJI application is more than adequate. In fact, I prefer it because the DJI Go application has, in my opinion, a very elegant operator interface.

However, if your goal is to take videos with more than one axis of movement (say flying in one direction, yawing the aircraft, raising the altitude all while maintaining a subject in the center of the frame) the DJI application will not cut it as it is too difficult for an operator to simultaneously perform all of these tasks and get useable footage. For multi-axis of movement video, an application such as Litchi (currently I am also learning Hanger's Autopilot) is required.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Hi Weston:

Depends if your only goal is to only take still photographs or videos that have a single axis of movement. Then the DJI application is more than adequate. In fact, I prefer it because the DJI Go application has, in my opinion, a very elegant operator interface.

However, if your goal is to take videos with more than one axis of movement (say flying in one direction, yawing the aircraft, raising the altitude all while maintaining a subject in the center of the frame) the DJI application will not cut it as it is too difficult for an operator to simultaneously perform all of these tasks and get useable footage. For multi-axis of movement video, an application such as Litchi (currently I am also learning Hanger's Autopilot) is required.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar
Not knocking you Don but if you can't do that then you need more stick time with the Go App .
I fly almost everyday and have for over 4 years and it gets to be normal .
I use Hangar a lot but only after I get to where I want to be then go into that app and do the 360 then back into Go App and finish whatever.

Hi Dirk,

I think you have made my point. I always use DJI Go or Litchi to get to where I want. Then use Litchi or Autopilot to fly the mission--which appears to be what you just claimed to be doing. The results are just better, smoother, and more cinematic then I could ever attain with DJI Go. And, I think at the end of the day, less dangerous because I can keep my eyes on the aircraft (which is what we are supposed to be doing anyway) rather than buried in the FPV of tablet.

Don Barar

Hi Dirk,

I think you have made my point. I always use DJI Go or Litchi to get to where I want. Then use Litchi or Autopilot to fly the mission--which appears to be what you just claimed to be doing. The results are just better, smoother, and more cinematic then I could ever attain with DJI Go. And, I think at the end of the day, less dangerous because I can keep my eyes on the aircraft (which is what we are supposed to be doing anyway) rather than buried in the FPV of tablet.

Don Barar
No I don't make claims I do what I say I do and didn't make no point other than if you can't do those things with the sticks and not have it done for you by a app than you need more stick practice . If thats what it takes for you great . I do watch my screen to be able to do what I do without looking at the craft but I already know where it is before hand .

Reactions: DKG13CC
Hi Dirk,

It you can simultaneously perform 3 axis maneuvers and control the gimbal to maintain a subject in the center of field view you are a far better pilot than I am--and would guess most others. So why do you even bother using Autopilot?

Don

Hi Dirk,

It you can simultaneously perform 3 axis maneuvers and control the gimbal to maintain a subject in the center of field view you are a far better pilot than I am--and would guess most others. So why do you even bother using Autopilot?

Don
I don't, just the hangar for 360's which it does pretty good most of the time and seems to do better with this new update. Don't use it but for that .
IMG_9548.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31