Why use dangerous Litchi app?!?

This makes me think of all the oil treads on most motorcycle forums "I change oil every 3 miles and have never had an engine failure"
Think about it :)
Don't get it bud sorry . I just stated what I use and why .
Course I don't have a bike or read in any forums about them .

But still, I don't think I'll ever use Litchi. Just in case the unthinkable happens and litchi causes an accident, I don't have the kind of money to just buy a replacement drone. Besides, I'm not a fan of automatic stuff, it makes me feel uneasy. The camera never leaves manual mode on my drone, same on my DSLR camera, the dial never really leaves the "M" position. I even tried the follow me mode on DJI GO once, it followed me for about 5 feet, then it took off flying sideways and almost crashed! That's the last time I tried one of the automatic functions in DJI GO. I rarely use return to home as well! Call me old fashioned but I land it manually almost every time. Call me even older fashioned, but the only movies i watch are from the 40's to the 70's. (I'm rambling again, aren't I?)
Hi, I've used my Phantom 3 Advanced with both GO and Litchi and I found the Dji app to be the most unreliable piece of software ever made by a company for its own product! I only use Litchi now and not had any issues in the last year and a half of use, GO freezes on the tablets and phones I've used and the guys behind Litchi have even documented flaws in the Dji firmware on the Phantoms which is why there's no ability to adjust the gimbal horizontal angle as they discovered a fault. If Dji can't/won't fix simple faults then why would you trust only their software? The majority of my flights are all done in auto after being pre-programmed in the Litchi app and never had a problem, always within line of sight and below 400ft (one flight plan has been repeated more than 10 times and always does its job to within a foot or so which is important to me as it's part of an environmental video diary.) Good luck and happy flying with whichever software you use.

Reactions: kissmyace
I am a Litchi user. DJIGo only occasionally just because. I fly my Mavic Pro, Phantom 3 Pro, and Phantom 3 Standard all with Litchi. Have only one incident and it was with the MP. COMPLETE PILOT ERROR! I ran an autonomous mission and ran out before return. The RTH did kick in but the head wind was too much. My MP auto landed about 100 yards short of homepoint in a field. Neither app has ever caused me trouble. I just prefer Litchi.

I know, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I have a simple question. Why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of a third-party app called litchi with so many horror stories? DJI GO has its problems, but litchi seems to cause many fatal crashes. Everyone I know who has used litchi has also had fatal crashes. I always use DJI GO, and I haven't crashed once! (I also fly very carefully and never try to pull off crazy stunts, but that's a side note...) I understand Litchi has lots of fun tools to make your drone do so much more, but think about it, your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do! IMO, that's, well... (No offense,) cough, cough... I'm open to listen to anyone who can prove to me that litchi is safer than DJI GO, maybe you'll be able to get me to switch![emoji4] (Who Knows...)
I respect you for saying what I have been thinking but didn't want to start a stink storm. I also have always used the DJI Go 4 and have had very very few issues and NO crashes.

I’ve been using both Litchi and DJI Go4 both have good and bad things in them, and from experience if your pilot skills aren’t up to par your going to have issues no matter what app your using! IMO,, practice usually makes perfect LoL but really with the influx of quite a few new operators in such a short time AND the fact that your going to hear the “bad” 10 times more than the good this whole subject was bound to come up! Personally I wouldn’t blame it on the App’s, I’d say that it’s more a matter of practice practice and then a little more for good measure!

Reactions: Keith Mitchell
Thanks everyone! That's good to know that litchi is DJI approved sdk, I thought it was a hack. I might install litchi on my iPad and try it in a big field to see how I like it. Also I never use third party stuff with my drones (with the exception of ND Filter, gimbal and camera guard, and motor protectors.) But those have nothing to do with flight or safety. I am very wary of non OEM parts.

A nice feature of Litchi is the audio feedback which means I don’t have to check the screen for current status of my flight info. Definitely prefer it over GoApp.

I am very wary of non OEM parts.

Esp. with batteries and props, that's a very good practice, imho.

But litchi is not a dangerous hack app... deceptively powerful maybe?... but not any more dangerous than the pilot behind it.

Yesterday evening from my backyard, I flew manually with GO for a while, landed for a battery swap and switched to Litchi. Flew a pre-planned square-pattern waypoint mission around my house, then a pre-planned round orbit mission with the house as the POI.

Last weekend I flew 2 separate pre-planned missions over a friend's 200-acre woods without a hitch.

Get it, study it, respect it's power.

Hi Weston:

Depends if your only goal is to only take still photographs or videos that have a single axis of movement. Then the DJI application is more than adequate. In fact, I prefer it because the DJI Go application has, in my opinion, a very elegant operator interface.

However, if your goal is to take videos with more than one axis of movement (say flying in one direction, yawing the aircraft, raising the altitude all while maintaining a subject in the center of the frame) the DJI application will not cut it as it is too difficult for an operator to simultaneously perform all of these tasks and get useable footage. For multi-axis of movement video, an application such as Litchi (currently I am also learning Hanger's Autopilot) is required.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar
I’ve considered getting Litchi, how is it better with multi axis moves or any other control of the AC. I’m often making complex moves and I use tripod mode when I’m in close to things.

I use both Go and Litchi. I have never had any "horror story" issues with Litchi. I choose which app to use based on my needs for the mission. I use DJI Go mostly when flying for fun and to practice my skills. I use Litchi waypoint missions when I want to get the best video. Unlike the Inspire, the P4P is a one-man show and it is hard to fly gracefully, keep the subject in the frame, control camera pitch, and keep an eye on the drone all at the same time. Litchi waypoint missions do the flying for me so I can keep an eye on the aircraft.

One of our fellow forum members, namirda, is a software developer and he wrote an app called VLM (Virtual Litchi Mission). He offers it for free download, and I love it! I can create a Litchi waypoint mission, and then virtually fly the mission in Google Earth to check all of the altitudes and camera angles, and make adjustments until it is just right. Then I save the mission and go out to the field and fly it. If you are just flying for fun you don't need this, but if you are doing video and want buttery smooth camera movement this a great option. Maybe someday I'll be so good at flying that I won't need this, but right now, when I need the best video, I use the Litchi waypoint missions.

Here are a couple of hastily-made videos that demonstrate the VLM program:

Hi C,

Think more in terms of flying waypoint missions. Let's say you want to fly from point A at 100' AGL to point B that is 1000' away and 200' AGL, at a steady 5 mph, and at the same time maintain a subject in the center of frame. I find it to be a challenge to simultaneously and smoothly fly from point A to Point B at a constant speed, gradually increase the altitude, yaw the aircraft, and adjust the gimbal to maintain a subject in the center of frame throughout the entire duration of the mission. Try it. See if you can do it.

Does this help?

Don Barar

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith Mitchell
For the past 19 months of flying nothing but Litchi, I can find absolutely nothing wrong with it! The Mission Hum and the ability it plan flights on Google Earth are awesome! Those who have not tried it should!!!
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF.

I know, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I have a simple question. Why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of a third-party app called litchi with so many horror stories? DJI GO has its problems, but litchi seems to cause many fatal crashes. Everyone I know who has used litchi has also had fatal crashes. I always use DJI GO, and I haven't crashed once! (I also fly very carefully and never try to pull off crazy stunts, but that's a side note...) I understand Litchi has lots of fun tools to make your drone do so much more, but think about it, your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do! IMO, that's, well... (No offense,) cough, cough... I'm open to listen to anyone who can prove to me that litchi is safer than DJI GO, maybe you'll be able to get me to switch![emoji4] (Who Knows...)
Been using Litchi for 3 years now with no problem. Most crashes is caused by error in setup for the flight, such as altitude. People forget that altitude is recorded at takeoff point and terrain changes. A lot is flying into trees or hills. I personally think Litchi is great. Just got to pay attention or talk to people that use it before trying to us it for Autonomous flights.

Newb here. I have Litchi on my tablet but need to make sure to have 10 hours of flying clocking on my bird before applying for special flight (Japan is very strict). Will the Litchi app. count the time my bird is in the air as well? Otherwise, I'll have to wait until probably next week when I can finish the counter for the minimum for the application process.

The instant I connect with Go, I get weak signal and other msgs. Never with litchi. I have Go on a separate device, too

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1