Why use dangerous Litchi app?!?

I love this Go v Litchi thing, it's like the PC/Mac or Harley/rice-burner vibe brought up to date!
Ya think :)
Hey in the end it's what you like to use and are good with .
It would have been better had you posted the scene where he twirls the cup around his finger! LOL.

Don
I can't find that one Don :)

Here yah go. A little long but worth the watch.

I know I watch that movie every time it comes on and lately it seems AMC runs it every week .
I just like it .

I do agree with dirkclod, I tried the follow me mode ONCE in DJI GO, and it immediately took off for some trees. I have never used any of the auto functions since! I have gotten very proficient with the sticks, and I orbited around one of my coworkers when he was painting trim on a ladder on a nice house, he wanted to see what he looked like up there, and I did a very nice orbit and pan out at the same time shoot just using the sticks. I trust my sticks and only my sticks with any of my drones.

Just a few points
1 What would constitute that proof that Litchi is safe (or not)?
2 I've had issues where the barometer and Litchi disagreed as to the height and i ended up in a hedge, but i suspect Go would be the same (and i fly with very small margins, for work )
3 Nothing wrong with old films - i caught my young son looking around one day. I asked what he was looking for and he said he was looking for all the old black and white people.

I know, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I have a simple question. Why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of a third-party app called litchi with so many horror stories? DJI GO has its problems, but litchi seems to cause many fatal crashes. Everyone I know who has used litchi has also had fatal crashes. I always use DJI GO, and I haven't crashed once! (I also fly very carefully and never try to pull off crazy stunts, but that's a side note...) I understand Litchi has lots of fun tools to make your drone do so much more, but think about it, your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do! IMO, that's, well... (No offense,) cough, cough... I'm open to listen to anyone who can prove to me that litchi is safer than DJI GO, maybe you'll be able to get me to switch![emoji4] (Who Knows...)
Yeah, it was built to do those things or it couldn't do them with Litchi. "Think about it"...the ONLY reason one DJI will do one thing and not another is because they [DJI] wants you to spend more money on another bird that has more features 'unlocked'. Plain and simple, that's all there is to it. Nothing more, no conspiracy theories or anything like that.

This debate is a lot like the Mac-PC debates of old. I have been using both Go, and Litchi for 2 years now, and have had no adverse experiences with either. My end product is mostly video. I will pick the tool that works best for the visual result I am after. Most of the time, it is Litchi. It does everything go does, and adds stuff that go does poorly. For example, flying a good distance away, low close to a tree line, go looses contact easily,and requires climbing to get a clear signal. Not easy with poor/intermittent contact with the ac. Fly with Litchi waypoints - flawless. All within VLOS.

Same strategy with DLSR. Use what works best. Continuous autofocus gives you pictures that you can never get otherwise in situations changing rapidly. Taking a religious stance about a minimalist approach is counter intuitive to me.

Reactions: chazzm and RodPad
Litchi only, Go just for settings. Old firmware and old apps. Flying Mavic, P3Pro’s and P2. Using NLD now. One accident in 4 years, pilot error. ‘nough said.

Jerry

@Squirrel!,
Hey dude, haven't seen you around much. How do you get all that gibberish in your signature area, mine tells me I'm at the limit?

Yours is quite large is this stuff your selling. :D

If you got an answer, send me a PM, if not I will swerve at one of your partners next time they are on the road. :eek:

Rod

I know, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I have a simple question. Why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of a third-party app called litchi with so many horror stories? DJI GO has its problems, but litchi seems to cause many fatal crashes. Everyone I know who has used litchi has also had fatal crashes. I always use DJI GO, and I haven't crashed once! (I also fly very carefully and never try to pull off crazy stunts, but that's a side note...) I understand Litchi has lots of fun tools to make your drone do so much more, but think about it, your hijacking your drone to make it so something it wasn't built to do! IMO, that's, well... (No offense,) cough, cough... I'm open to listen to anyone who can prove to me that litchi is safer than DJI GO, maybe you'll be able to get me to switch![emoji4] (Who Knows...)
Hi. Ive been using Litchi for well over years...no problems at all. A freat app.

Personally I have had no issues, if there was an issue during flight you can just switch the flight mode to sport or manual mode. It will stop the litchi flight. I ran into on issue and it was my fault. I relied on google earth for elevations and cut it too close. I was able to prevent a crash due to the switching the flight modes. Most crashes are due to that. The pilot not leaving enough clearance. One could really get to comfortable in the lithchi hub at home and then go to the sight and load up the mission. The best practice is to be at the location and scout and plan there, it burns precious flight time. Then again your safe. Your supposed to be los anyways.

How did this thread get in the most popular list this week? I am surprised it did even though it only has a little over 30 replies. How did that happen?

Reactions: Hounddog
I've analyzed a lot of crashes and lost drone events, and to date I cannot think of a single one caused by a fault in the Litchi app. By far the primary cause of crashes is pilot error, followed by much rarer cases of hardware failure.

Using Litchi does introduce a number of extra possibilities for error, since mission planning is not trivial, but that's still pilot error. The vast majority of Litchi-related problems have been due to incorrect altitude settings (hitting obstacles) or insufficient battery capacity for the planned mission, especially in windy conditions.

I think that you should re-pose your question - why put the controls of your expensive investment in the hands of an untrained pilot who can't be bothered to read the manuals?
Great reply!
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: RodPad
How did this thread get in the most popular list this week? I am surprised it did even though it only has a little over 30 replies. How did that happen?
It goes by views not post.

Reactions: RodPad
Add me to the list of those who love Litchi. Creating missions at home is not only fun, but so easy. And the mission can fly so much more smoothly than when I'm doing it with stick only. If automatic transmissions in cars weren't easier than stick, no one would buy them. And for those who love 5speed transmissions (like myself) you have that option. Having choices are great.

Today, most drone apps, including Litchi and DJI GO 4, are reliable and have mature functionality. My general preference is for DJI GO 4 when it comes to photography (still/video). If you are doing mapping, and especially if you are doing the same map repeatedly (e.g. monthly inspections), Litchi makes sense. I see no need to try to say one is better than the other. It's personal preference and the nature of the application that leads to the use of one or the other. Most of all, enjoy flying and adhere to the FAA guidelines/rules ... especially the VLOS :) rules to keep out of trouble.

Reactions: Hounddog
I fly litchi as much as I fly DJI go, as long as Litchi is set up right in some cases it works better than DJI go and I have over 65 miles on Litchi and no issues and sorry to say I have had many small issues on DJI go usually after updates which they do that about every week. the point being if you read and understand Litchi program it works great and you will have no issues. Happy flying

Never used anything but Go app and Never had an issue so I guess we will all have to agree to disagree .
If I wanted an app to fly my drone for me I might look at it but other than POI's I'm good with Go .
I don't do waypoints so that not an issue with me with the Go app .

This makes me think of all the oil treads on most motorcycle forums "I change oil every 3 miles and have never had an engine failure"
Think about it :)

Bottom line is there is no dangerous app, only people doing things incorrectly more often than not.....lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub