Why couldn’t I fly here - another spot

Reaction score
Well, the last time was “fun” so here is a other one.

There is a very small lake in Michigan called Hidden Lake. It is located on private property, not government, behind two fences. There are the usual No Trespassing signs on the fences. Take off and landing would occur OUTSIDE the fence area, on public property. NO landing within is planned or anticipated. Only 1000 feet horizontal travel is required. There are no flight restrictions that I am able to find over this area and none would be typically expected. Proposed flights would be during the daytime, VLOS, not take place over any people or buildings. The lake is surrounded by trees and brush and ... a section of track belonging to the Ford Motor Company Proving Grounds.

Far as I remember, the chain of command for control over airspaces is handed down from God to DJI who may or may not follow the FAA, but we have B4UFly to check independently. All clear.

Whatcha think?

3371196e64c10f744cd4d36bc01a0ae7.jpg

I would call this a grey area. If you're flying high and in a straight line over and beyond and then back again, I think it's okay. If you're flying low and slow and around, there can be an argument made that you're invading privacy.

I would call this a grey area. If you're flying high and in a straight line over and beyond and then back again, I think it's okay. If you're flying low and slow and around, there can be an argument made that you're invading privacy.

There are ways of flying that I can imagine would draw righteous ire from folks... but in this case, consider.: Flight would take place at approx 200-350 feet, streaking flight to and from, and then just hovering, turning in position.

I prefer to use AirMap to check for airspace.

Unless it's a "Sensitive Infrastructure" or similar area I don't see why you can't fly over it. Just be mindful just because you CAN fly over posted property doesn't always mean you "should".

I prefer to use AirMap to check for airspace.

Unless it's a "Sensitive Infrastructure" or similar area I don't see why you can't fly over it. Just be mindful just because you CAN fly over posted property doesn't always mean you "should".

How does AirMap compare to Hover?

I understand, I’m just exploring, here in the safety of discussion, potential situations for knowledge building purposes. Don’t have a need to fly it at the moment. I didn’t see videos from the area in Youtube so I wonder if there is something preventing them.

How does AirMap compare to Hover?

Well they both use AirMap maps so in that sense they are the same. I find Airmap (the ap) to be more useful and works better for my work flow. I have both but use Airmap.

There is one airport that is JUST barely within 5 miles, literally depending on which end of the Grounds take off from with a phone number, thinking I’ll call and just tell them I plan to fly at 2pm today and see what they reply.

Reactions: BigAl07
So this small Michigan lake called Hidden Lake just happens to be on the Fords Motors Proving Grounds. There's more to this than just flying over the lake.

Why not fly over Pickett Lake on GM's Proving Grounds?

So this small Michigan lake called Hidden Lake just happens to be on the Fords Motors Proving Grounds. There's more to this than just flying over the lake.

That opens a whole new bucket of worms there. They probably have some private/sensitive stuff happening there that they would not want pictures to get out of.

Why not fly over Pickett Lake on GM's Proving Grounds?

Ok, why not? It’s not even within any 5 mike airport zones and they don’t control the air... so, tell me, why couldn’t I fly over Pickett Lake?
64b52f535801b01044e58ee4a076f8ae.jpg

That opens a whole new bucket of worms there. They probably have some private/sensitive stuff happening there that they would not want pictures to get out of.

They may not want them to get out but what prevents it? I have a rumor style answer to “Why haven’t car magazines rented a helicopter to overfly the Proving Grounds for spy photos?”
Answer: “Publish a spy photo from the Proving ground and we’ll never let you test drive one of our cars again.”

I don't think there's anything "FAA LEGAL" to keep you from flying over it but keep in mind that privacy laws, nuisance laws, and reckless behavior laws can come into play on a local level.

Well, the last time was “fun” so here is a other one.

There is a very small lake in Michigan called Hidden Lake. It is located on private property, not government, behind two fences. There are the usual No Trespassing signs on the fences. Take off and landing would occur OUTSIDE the fence area, on public property. NO landing within is planned or anticipated. Only 1000 feet horizontal travel is required. There are no flight restrictions that I am able to find over this area and none would be typically expected. Proposed flights would be during the daytime, VLOS, not take place over any people or buildings. The lake is surrounded by trees and brush and ... a section of track belonging to the Ford Motor Company Proving Grounds.

Far as I remember, the chain of command for control over airspaces is handed down from God to DJI who may or may not follow the FAA, but we have B4UFly to check independently. All clear.

Whatcha think?

3371196e64c10f744cd4d36bc01a0ae7.jpg
seems pretty cut N dry to me enjoy your flight .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl