What video to shoot HD or 4k

Reaction score
Just wondering, do you normally shoot 4k or HD? I don't have a 4k TV or even 4k at my desktop. So, is there good reason to shoot HD or 4k?

Last edited:
Unless you have the ability to play, and or edit 4K or even 2.7K, 1080P is just fine for the average user. The only exception I would make to that would be taking screen shots from the 4K footage. But even then if you had the proper resources to do that, you may as well shoot in 4K. Personally, since I don't even attempt to do professional footage, and as of now have no plans to. Just stick with 1080P. What's the point if you do not have a particular reason for needing such resolution.

Unless you have the ability to play, and or edit 4K or even 2.7K, 1080P is just fine for the average user. The only exception I would make to that would be taking screen shots from the 4K footage. But even then if you had the proper resources to do that, you may as well shoot in 4K. Personally, since I don't even attempt to do professional footage, and as of now have no plans to. Just stick with 1080P. What's the point if you do not have a particular reason for needing such resolution.

Thanks for reporting, I appreciate it.

Just wondering, do you normally shoot 4k or HD? I don't have a 4k TV or even 4k at my desktop. So, is there good reason to shoot HD or 4k?
4K is more time consuming to edit, not to mention occupying 4X the disk space, and SD card space.. Like Dawg said, if you don't have a 4K TV then its wise to stick with 1080, since it's easier and quicker to edit. 2.7 and 4k do offer the ability to zoom in during edit, but like I said this is time consuming. If you're like me and you simply want a nice 4 or 5min video from each flight, use 1080 to save your time and disk space. 1080 will impress most people, and most people will be viewing with a 1080 TV anyway. In a few years you may want shoot 4K on special occasions, like the Whale video I shot last week. I wish I had shot it in 4K because the surface timing and number of whales was epic. But the 1080 video is pretty cool anyway.

Shoot your video in 4K and then when you do the edit you produce the final video in 1080HD. That way your original video clips are in 4K and in the future if you want a 4k video it is easy to accomplish. 4K video is no harder to edit than 1080HD, the only limiting factor would be the computer you are using for the edits, it just needs to be fast enough and have enough memory to handle the 4K video.

I shoot everything 4K. 1080 videos look better when they come from downsampled 4K than if they were originally shot HD. That being said, I do have the gear to handle 4K easily but can certainly understand not wanting the extra hassle of larger file sizes if your resources make it a challenge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj