What is the Best way to increase the range of my Phantom Pro 4 v2 ?

WOW I wouldn't want to stand in front of it. Does it hummm when turned on? Joking.

Hello,
I was looking into options to increase the range of my Phantom Pro 4 v2 and ive come across 2 options.
1 - non invasive way to add a windsurfer slide on to the existing controller antennas.
2 - add some hardware to the controller - need to open it up and more expensive.

If tried option 1 - bought a cheap one on amazon that was recommended
link: Amazon.com: Ultimaxx Copper Parabolic Antenna Signal Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4, P4 pro, P4 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced and 4K Inspire 1 Controller: Toys & Games
It did increase it but not significantly enough for me to justify having this thing on the controller.
Im more curious if anyone has done option 2 and added some new antennas on the controller?
Im very new to these drones and most the mods im seeing are for previous models. even the phantom 4 ones im seeing are making me nervous as i have the 2.0 and i dont know if the controller is different - i know it has a new method to communicate with the dji done then previous models and idk if needs some specific type of antennas.
one that i found for like $180 is this one:

Has anyone here successfully modified the controller of the phantom pro 4 v2 ?
Could you share your overall experience with this and how much improvement you are seeing? also the item you bought price you paid?
Thanks
With corrective lenses, I have 20/20 vision. I don't think I can see my Phantom 3 Pro out more than 3/4 of a mile. VLS is the law! It takes a lot more skill to fly accurately in confined spaces and have the right camera setting to get the best shots than to simply fly straight out a long way!

I have the phantom 4pro v2.0 and installed the Titan switch antenna system and modified the remote and tested it over the bay at about 100 feet height and reach 26000 ft.one way with no glitches and full bars on the remote and HD I always fly vlos but was just doing a test and it was over water and low

With corrective lenses, I have 20/20 vision. I don't think I can see my Phantom 3 Pro out more than 3/4 of a mile. VLS is the law! It takes a lot more skill to fly accurately in confined spaces and have the right camera setting to get the best shots than to simply fly straight out a long way!

That is true for sure. Flying in a straight line in a no obstacles area is really not a big achievement. You simply push the right stick forward and rest until RTH is avtivated.

If you can see a Phantom X 4,000 feet out, you get my vote. Under the best conditions my world record is right around 2200 feet.

D

The distance at which somebody can see a flying object like a Phantom varies very much. It depends on the brightness of the environment and the direction of the light. The same importance is the type of the background behind the Phantom. If the Phantom is white it is better to have dark background and the sun from behind of the operator. If so I can see the Phantom on a distance over 500 m sometimes around 800 m. If the conditions are less optimal then the sight can be easily lost at 300 m.

I modified my P4P controller with a black 4Hawks Raptor SR antenna. It's not an over-bearing size like the XR or some other amplifiers like other brands, it's only a little larger than the controller and very light. This was my first experience opening and modifying the controller, but it was easy enough. Make sure you have the right tools, the patience and watch plenty of videos if you go down this route, otherwise there are hobbyists that could do it for you. It definately goes a lot further in an open space...but I've yet to put it through its paces, so to speak, since legally you are supposed to fly LOS and all my joy flights or jobs are over a short distance.

RoOSTA

I modified my P4P controller with a black 4Hawks Raptor SR antenna. It's not an over-bearing size like the XR or some other amplifiers like other brands, it's only a little larger than the controller and very light. This was my first experience opening and modifying the controller, but it was easy enough. Make sure you have the right tools, the patience and watch plenty of videos if you go down this route, otherwise there are hobbyists that could do it for you. It definately goes a lot further in an open space...but I've yet to put it through its paces, so to speak, since legally you are supposed to fly LOS and all my joy flights or jobs are over a short distance.

RoOSTA

I’ve got 5 miles with a boosted XR

Reactions: roosta
Hey guys, just a follow up. So i purchased the 4hawks XR for the phantom 4 pro v2.
purchased from maxxuav.com
A week after my order I emailed the company to inquire about my shipment and was told that it was not in stock BUT they have a black version that can ship same day.
I said if it was the same thing I would take it.
The shipment arrived and I opened the box and saw that it was for the "phantom pro 4 obsidian" so i asked maxxuav if they sent me the wrong one to which they replied its the same thing and that the only diff is the connection cables which they have given me in the box for the v2.
Anyways I began looking for a video how to install this XR and I simply could not find any video on how to do it for the v2. plenty for the previous models though.
Anyways i consider myself pretty handy so I followed the instructions as best as i could as there were many differences.
They also claim to give all the tools needed, yet did not include a screw driver which 100% is needed. 2 diff sizes needed infact.
Finally after putting this together (2-3 hours of research and manipulation) I was able to get things going.

Now the test.
Before I went this route I purchased a slide on windsurfer to see how far i could go...indoors on a direct straight path i was able to get about 2500 feet. outside Maybe 6000 ft.
With the 4hawks XR indoors same path I got about 1000 ft. outside around 4000 ft.

Im very very confused now.
I made sure that the antennas were actually hooked up...took the drone out and let it go about 500 ft...saw a good signal...unplugged the antennas and signal dropped instantly...so we know it actually was hooked up.
What gives? Could it be the 4hawks XR does actually have performance differences between the "phantom pro 4 obsidian" and the actual v2 edition? was the maxxuav rep mistaken in thinking it was just wires?
I know that one difference between the v2 and the earlier model is that the frequencies the remote transmits on is very different. the previous one uses channels to broadcast ( i think like 32 channels? ) while the v2 has some weird frequencies in dbm/mhz and are not numbers like 1-32.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

My setup for P4P. Signal strength is amazing at distance with 4w boosters great for behind trees too. Don't fit in the case no more though has it's own special box lol
Rexuav.com
20201118_123555.jpg
20201118_123525.jpg

Very impressive equipment but as it has been said here for a several times - WHY!?
P4P have originally very good long range signal and with no problems it can reach 2000m. But in more than 3y of using it I haven't had the situation where I exceeded 1300m. And even that only a few times. Usually I use it within VLOS which is completely enough for good shots. I see no point in raising my adrenaline flying few thousands meters and praying that it could manage to get back. And it is illegal too. But yes, if the only goal for somebody is the number of meter or feet that's another story.

I've found in the areas I often fly , hill country & pine trees this setup inspires confidence with no dropouts, can duck behind a tree or two and still have full signal so I don't really use it to go long distance as such but a far better signal at all times...that's not to say I haven't tested the long range capabilities but that was not my primary purpose for modding. Don't forget I'm in a country where CE transmission is a lot lower than FCC. we get 0.1w whereas U.S has 0.4w so the range is a lot lower to begin with.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.