Upgrade my tablet

"My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. .... I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s."

Okay, I too was considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I need to run UgCS (3rd party software) and must work outdoors in full sun.

I purchased an S3 at CostCo for $429 last weekend. Here is a screen shot in full sun. Works for my old eyes, but you decide for yourself. (if you wear a dark shirt instead of a reflective vest your results will be even better). Zoom-in on this picture, and you can see even the tiny text is all readable...

Samsung S3.jpg

I have the identical setup Chopstix. I added the HDMI module to my P4 controller too, which really puts a load on the video. The IPAD Pro still works flawlessly, even while streaming to both the iPad and DJI headset. It may have been a bit more expensive than other solutions, but when you don’t want to mess with technical headaches and want to only spend your money once, it is worth the investment.

Nice. The HDMI . Yeah I did the dance with tablets when I first got this thing. I started with an S2 then went to the Nvidia K1(?) and then finally to the iPad Pro. I even tried to go cheap and got the one without cellular... that lasted one day and then I ended up with the 128 with cell LOL. Buy once cry once.

I have found a gripe with the Huawei tablet . . . the location of the power switch, it`s a little close to the tablet grip lol,
If you want your tablet dead centre it may bother you.

I have found a gripe with the Huawei tablet . . . the location of the power switch, it`s a little close to the tablet grip lol,
If you want your tablet dead centre it may bother you.

My first solution for this was to sandwich a thin piece of high density foam just to the right of the power button.

I wanted a cover for mine though so bought this clear one from Amazon. It's nice and thin, but just thick enough to keep the power button from being pressed.

Also picked up this anti-glare screen protector.

IMG_20180411_083348_1-1.jpg

Got the clear shell cover end route lol

so are you guys saying that the go app will run on Amazon products? I have a Kindle Fire HD. Will it run on that device if i get Google Play Store to load? I did not think that was an option since theOS is neither Android or IOS. Maybe that Amazon 10 is an Android device?

It is Android. Just locked down. You have to “hack” it in order to allow non-Amazon store installs.

Does anyone have a Nexus 7 (2nd gen - 2013 version) that I could buy?

Thanks so much

Olly

Last edited:
My first solution for this was to sandwich a thin piece of high density foam just to the right of the power button.

I wanted a cover for mine though so bought this clear one from Amazon. It's nice and thin, but just thick enough to keep the power button from being pressed.

Also picked up this anti-glare screen protector.

@umanbean, how's your M3 been working out? Any issues running the Go4 app?

Reactions: umanbean
@umanbean, how's your M3 been working out? Any issues running the Go4 app?

It's working out great, like it.

I don't use go4, but with my p3p it's been glitch free and no video lag, and no problem switching between go and litchi as long as you turn the controller off in between.

The only minor irritation I have is with the fingerprint sensor x2.

1) Sometimes waking the tablet up I have to touch the sensor 2-3 times... but this is probably due to the fact that my fat fingers are rough and dry.

2) that same fingerprint sensor also acts as a back button (tap) and a home button (long press)... about half the time it doesn't recognize the long press and instead of going straight to 'home' it goes 'back'. This gets annoying in web browsers and some other apps. Again, probably due to my dry skin?

May be a couple other minor things I can't think of right now but overall I like it. It's thin, light, fast, smooth - and I'm talking to it right now instead of having to type. ;)

All the positive comments about the M3 on this thread and elsewhere made me seriously consider one as a dedicated device for flying. My Galaxy S5 does a fine job, but I really needed a larger screen. Newegg had it new for $250, so I pulled the trigger and received it yesterday. Even though the S5's screen isn't what I'd consider small, the screen on the M3 dwarfs the Galaxy's screen now. With an octa core processor and 4 + 32 GB of internal memory, and a beautiful 8" screen, the M3 is fast and should stand up well against the Go4 app. Not too big, not too small, just right. I'm currently running it with Android 6.0 and I may leave it there based on some concerns/comments about 7.0. I now understand Technical Bob's comment about the power switch location problem better. So I took umanbean's suggestion and bought one of those clear shell cases, installed it, and then tested the tablet in the device holder. Perfect! The plastic shell provides just enough added thickness to keep the power button from being accidentally pressed while in the holder. Many thanks to everyone for the helpful comments and recommendations.

Reactions: Technical Bob
It also fits perfectly into my backpack hard case,
So I can carry everything to go flying in one place, my old Tab was a little bigger and woudldnt fit.

Not too big, not too small, just right.

It's a Goldilocks tablet! ;)

I was thinking the same thing just the other day... not too big not too small.

I'm currently running it with Android 6.0 and I may leave it there based on some concerns/comments about 7.0.

Mine, from Amazon, came with 7.0 installed - haven't had one single OS-related problem or glitch.

It also came with EMUI 4.x (Huawei's 'skin') and within the first few days it started downloading 5.0.1. I didn't know what an emui was at the time and when I noticed that, I freaked a little because up 'til then everything was working perfectly... but it was too late, I couldn't stop the download. Turns out no worries. I've always used Apex Launcher on my androids anyway.

If you really want to make the most of it, you might also consider a desktop stand - I bought this one, really like it. It has a heavy base, a sturdy clamp, and holds the tablet firmly in place, portrait or landscape. I turned my base around backwards from what it is in that picture.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Amazon except to buy a lot of stuff from there lol.

It's a Goldilocks tablet! ;)

I was thinking the same thing just the other day... not too big not too small.

Mine, from Amazon, came with 7.0 installed - haven't had one single OS-related problem or glitch.

It also came with EMUI 4.x (Huawei's 'skin') and within the first few days it started downloading 5.0.1. I didn't know what an emui was at the time and when I noticed that, I freaked a little because up 'til then everything was working perfectly... but it was too late, I couldn't stop the download. Turns out no worries. I've always used Apex Launcher on my androids anyway.

If you really want to make the most of it, you might also consider a desktop stand - I bought this one, really like it. It has a heavy base, a sturdy clamp, and holds the tablet firmly in place, portrait or landscape. I turned my base around backwards from what it is in that picture.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Amazon except to buy a lot of stuff from there lol.

I use one of these with no issues.

Universal Aluminium Alloy Cell Phone Tablet Table Desktop Desk Stand Holder-in Mobile Phone Holders & Stands from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It's a Goldilocks tablet!

It's funny you should say that because that thought did cross my mind when I posted last night. For me, that's a perfect description though; big enough to see all the nagging little warnings clearly, but small enough so the controller doesn't fall over when you mount it. It's got some quirks, but nothing I can't work through.

The first thing I did was turn off automatic updates. Have had various issues in the past with automatic updates installing autonomously. Mine came with 6.0 installed, and that's what I wanted. I did get the notice to upgrade to 7.0, and the notice to install the 5.0 skin as well, but I'm holding off on both updates for now. I'm gonna run it as is and see how it goes. I can always update later a whole lot easier than trying to roll back updates. Again, thanks for all the very useful suggestions.

Not an expert.That said, I tried my Samsung (I think it was G7....?) I paid $700 plus for it. Lots of problems. Well this was last year with my P4P, I finally borrowed my old Apple I pad Air2 no problem after no problem. I finally went out and bought another I pad Air2, wife’s not real good about sharing.

As I said, not claiming to be an expert and not a big Apple fan but almost 2 years flying, with 2 I pad Airs and not one problem. Good enough for me.

Hope this was of some help, let me know.

Steve

Reactions: ravedog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus