Upgrade my tablet

Figures. I almost ordered that tablet from newegg. I just got the Samsung galaxy tab s2 instead. I have a month to return it if it doesn't play well with dji.

For Android, the Galaxy S2 is a good choice. Nothing wrong with that device. For what it's worth, that was actually my second choice. I took a good look at the the S2 and then compared it to the M3 Mediapad before I made my decision. Other than some minor differences, those two tablets are nearly identical in specifications, so that made my decision easier. In fact, for Android tablets, they're very well matched. Having a Galaxy S5 phone already, I was leaning towards the S2 as I knew what I was getting into with Samsung. That's both a plus and a minus. As someone already mentioned, my biggest complaint with Samsung is the amount of bloatware that comes standard on their devices. I really don't want to root my S5, so I'm living with all of that. But that issue did factor into my decision. The M3 has a slightly faster processor, and a bit more internal memory, so that was a plus. A number of other pilots on this site own the M3 and have good things to say about it. I think what really pushed me over to the M3 was the price. I tried to justify the additional cost for the Samsung but, in the end, I couldn't justify spending more without getting something of real value in return. Had the Galaxy been priced closer to the M3, I probably would have gone with that instead. So far, I like the M3. It's got a lot going for it, especially for the price. Good luck with your S2.

Thanks, I figured I would try Samsung first since it's a company I'm a little more familiar with. I'm going to try and disable as many apps as I can and give it a go. I l knew I had the 30 day return period at Best buy incase I didn't like it. If I decide to return it I'll definitely order the M3. The M3 is also about $100 less expensive.

The M3 is also about $100 less expensive.

A large part of why I'm looking at an M3 right now. :D

Also, I'd read that the M3 has minimal bloatware, and found that to be true.

It took me about 2 weeks, tinkering with it a little bit every day, to get this one perfect. I went through every nook and cranny of all the settings menus, many times. With a 64gb SD card in it I have plenty of extra storage... and with a micro USB to USB adapter I can copy files to/from a USB flash drive - and couple that with a USB SD card reader, I can copy files or play videos to/from micro SD or a full-size SD from my DSLR. This thing does just about anything and is quickly replacing my laptop for 90% of my digital activities.

I love it - and if I could figure out how to cast wirelessly to my 48" Vizio ( like I could with my Shield K1), I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited:
A large part of why I'm looking at an M3 right now. :D

Also, I'd read that the M3 has minimal bloatware, and found that to be true.

It took me about 2 weeks, tinkering with it a little bit every day, to get this one perfect. I went through every nook and cranny of all the settings menus, many times. With a 64gb SD card in it I have plenty of extra storage... and with a micro USB to USB adapter I can copy files to/from a USB flash drive - and couple that with a USB SD card reader, I can copy files or play videos to/from micro SD or a full-size SD from my DSLR. This thing does just about anything and is quickly replacing my laptop for 90% of my digital activities.

I love it - and if I could figure out how to cast wirelessly to my 48" Vizio ( like I could with my Shield K1), I'd be ecstatic.
Any chance of a bit of a "What too remove" thread ?
A list of items for people to know what they can remove,
A few members have taken the same path, so it could be helpful to others just starting out.

Don't know if this will help you but, the M3 does have MirrorShare in the Advanced Settings. My Roku3 shows up in that mode but it doesn't see my Roku2, my Samsung TV, or the Chromecast. There are a number of apps in the Play Store which provide casting, although I don't know how well they all work. One app, Castify, may be a good choice as it sees all my connected devices, except my Roku 2. I have not tried it yet but hope to do that this weekend.

I read a couple articles all of which praised the tablet. Saw several Youtube videos where tests were ran and according to their comparisons, the M3 outdid the S2. Not by a large margin, also with less bloatware, the positive things I have heard on here and it was $110 less expensive. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the S2. This is the first tablet I am getting for my first "real" drone. I hope i'm not sorry.

I took a screenshot of one of the graphs in one of the videos I watched and attached it.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-29_21-23-1.png
    upload_2018-4-29_21-23-1.png
    579.2 KB · Views: 232
Don't know if this will help you but, the M3 does have MirrorShare in the Advanced Settings.

I tried mirrorshare but it doesn't see the Vizio... haven't really looked into it very far but there seems to be about half a dozen different 'Casting standards', most of which are not compatible with each other. Casting to my living room TV is pretty much at the bottom of my 'to-do list' at the moment though.

I hope i'm not sorry.

You won't be.

But don't forget you'll need either a cover or a spacer to be able to center it in the RC tablet mount. I put a link somewhere in this thread to the one I have from Amazon

I tried mirrorshare but it doesn't see the Vizio... haven't really looked into it very far but there seems to be about half a dozen different 'Casting standards', most of which are not compatible with each other.

Yeah, that was the same problem I had, Mirrorshare couldn't see most of my linked devices. I can cast YouTube videos using its native support, as well as using the "share" feature for many other videos/photos stored on the M3. Good luck.

I can cast YouTube videos using its native support, as well as using the "share" feature for many other videos/photos stored on the M3.

Yeah, that's what I don't get - how can apps 'cast' to my TV and the OS can't.

I'd like to have GO or Litchi FPV show on the TV... wirelessly.

I had a shield K1 before and, not often - but once in awhile - it was really 'neat' to have company over and let them sit in the living room and watch the P3P fly around. Several times I set it up so I was on the back deck flying, with the window between the deck and the living room open so I can talk to them, and folks inside watching the fpv.

The 'ooos' and 'ahhhs' were enough to make it worthwhile :)

Got the M3. Going through and changing settings. Do I need to turn on USB Debugging?

Also I have made the following changes so far: disabled notifications, disabled the animations, disabled app auto updates, enabled unknown sources.

I am still going through the list and uninstalling/ disabling apps.

Anyone have any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Technical Bob
Got the M3. Going through and changing settings. Do I need to turn on USB Debugging?

Also I have made the following changes so far: disabled notifications, disabled the animations, disabled app auto updates, enabled unknown sources.

I am still going through the list and uninstalling/ disabling apps.

Anyone have any other advice? Thanks in advance.

I didn't turn on debugging as it was already set up to support MTP transfer. It appears to work fine as currently configured. It sounds like you covered everything that I fixed. The really nice thing about the M3 versus a Samsung Galaxy is that there's not a lot of installed software to begin with and, what there is, most of it you can actually delete. That is definitely one big plus this tablet has over Samsung. The battery lasts all day long, and then some.

Only issue I had was by assigning the usb by default to DJI Go, it caused me issues with Litchi, if I assigned it to Litchi I had issues with DJI Go, so don`t assign it to any, make it ask, and you will be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West