Reaction score
Okay, I was "living on the edge" last night.

I updated everything that I could to the latest available versions—P4, RC, DJI Go (iOS). Refer to version summary below. Additionally, last night, I re-calibrated everything, including IMU, VPS, gimbal, and even the RC controller sticks.

On the way to work this morning, I went to take a test-flight with all these latest bits.

Here are my results/observations . . .

• My aircraft triggered an automatic RTH at one point when signal was lost. :eek::(:mad: It was lost for 7.2s. When the signal came back, I cancelled RTH.
  • I flew in a relatively flat, open spaced area, where I have flown many times before without a signal loss long enough to trigger RTH.
  • My longest distance from home point was 2,654 feet.
  • The main signal loss occurred at 1,849 feet from home point.
  • I kept facing the AC at all times with my stock antennae positioned properly
  • Total distance of operation was 9,002 ft.
  • I kept my altimeter to around 295 feet.
  • Flight time (in-air time): 12m 50s
  • Wind speed (at 295 feet) was 7.5 mph (gusts to 10.4 mph)
  • P-GPS mode
  • Kp Index was 1
  • I rebooted my iPad before flying (as I always do)

Yes, I've had very, very brief "weak transmission" messages at this location in the past, no big deal. However, I've never had an auto-RTH triggered in this area (before today).

My flight notifications were as follows:

31BNHqw.png

My flight's signal strength data was as follows:

CXSSHio.png

My flight software is as follows:

mrM4pGo.png

Finally, just before this particular flight, when calibrating my compass, I noticed an anomaly, but that could have been anything. I rebooted my P4 and the message disappeared. Read about that here.

Last edited:
Yes, I've had very, very brief datalink "hiccups" in the past, no big deal. However, I've never had an auto-RTH triggered in this area (before today).
RTH will not be initiated if the downlink disconnects. It'll only be initiated if the RC signal is lost.

Reactions: David Kraft
RTH will not be initiated if the downlink disconnects. It'll only be initiated if the RC signal is lost.
Thanks, @msinger.

When the "weak transmission" message appears, is that for RC signal or for downlink?

It's referring to the downlink.

not sure what to make of the 2654ft from home point ? is that far for you? or that location? if your in the wide open , it will go a lot further stock ....

not sure what to make of the 2654ft from home point ? is that far for you? or that location? if your in the wide open , it will go a lot further stock ....
Agreed. That value is just the distance I flew yesterday. It was an arbitrary distance that I happened to be flying.

That just reinforces my point--which is that (at that distance) I shouldn't be getting disconnected from my AC.

|—— UPDATE —— UPDATE ——|

Last night (the next night after updating everything)...or at least I thought I had updated everything, I realized that my actual iPad was still two iOS updates behind. I was running v10.0.3. So I updated to the latest v10.1.1 (14B100).

This morning, I went out and flew the same route (and then some) and the bird performed flawlessly! :) :D

Not only did I perform the same distance test as yesterday, I flew to the 400' ceiling and practiced purposely corkscrewing into a rapid decent to around 15 feet. It handled very smoothly. I then did a "Course Lock" maneuver and flew about 10' off the ground for about 180 feet videoing a fix area (a group of model airplane pilots next to the runway).

Here's the summary of my whole sUAS that works well . . .

DJI Go: 3.1.0
Phantom 4: 01.02.0602
Remote Controller: 1.8.0
iPad Air 2 (128 GB): 10.1.1 (14B100)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bckmstr
good to know as been waiting to see and hear results like this, as just had my longest flight and didn't want to upgrade when i seen it come across my ipad mini a couple days ago for the firmware update...plus i have a trip planned and didn't want to be surprised
my set is :
app: 3.0.1
ac: 1.02.0503
rc: 1.8.0
ipad mini2: 10.0.2(14A456)

good to know as been waiting to see and hear results like this, as just had my longest flight and didn't want to upgrade when i seen it come across my ipad mini a couple days ago for the firmware update...plus i have a trip planned and didn't want to be surprised
my set is :
app: 3.0.1
ac: 1.02.0503
rc: 1.8.0
ipad mini2: 10.0.2(14A456)
I think if you update everything together, then your chances of having no issues certainly are better. Also, from what I've read here, it's good to update the AC first, then the controller.

Having said that, I don't blame you for waiting until after your trip. I waited until after the Supermoon last Monday because I didn't want my AC to drop into the ocean at night! LOL! Here's a photograph from that operation.

Reactions: Bckmstr
update, last night decided to go through and update everything ...everything went off without a hitch...got all three batteries done too...threw it up for a little testing of things and everything is as nothing has changed from before...no issues at all...for now all is good :)

current set is as follows:
ipad mini 2 : 10.1.1 (14B100)
app : 3.1.0
aircraft: 01.02.0602
Remote controller : 1.8.0

Reactions: SoCalDude

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member