It took 2 minutes and 40 sec. to initiate RTH.

Reaction score
I usually fly with my I Pad, but my wife was on it, so I used my Samsung phone. I have used it before with good success. I prefer the I Pad with the bigger screen. A buddy came riding by on his mountain bike. I followed him down the road with my P4. ( shame I forgot to turn the video on till the last moment) I got a disconnect and all went black. I had just flown in this area and came back before following my friend. I pressed the RTH button. Meanwhile my phone rebooted. It seemed like a long wait for it to get up and running. The phone is a Samsung-SM-J327A. It kept rebooting till my P4 returned. The screen sometimes stayed on long enough for me to see the screen telemetry. All the telemetry was there and it had disconnect at the top. How did it do that? All I can think is the android had an up date not long ago. It was a little unnerving how long it took for my P4 to initiate RTH. The video I did at the moment before going black screen never stopped and at home, I watched the video to see how long it took to start the return home. 2 minutes and 40 seconds seemed long to start RTH. The flight and video never recorded on my phone.

I was over the road in the video. A man came quickly out of his house and by the time he got under my P4, it did it's return home. I was about 150 ft. el. at the time. I wonder what he was thinking as his wife stood watching? I try to never hang over someone's house. I hover over the forest if I want a panorama.

You could check out the DAT flight log to see what your Phantom was doing during that period of time.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I usually fly with my I Pad, but my wife was on it, so I used my Samsung phone. I have used it before with good success. I prefer the I Pad with the bigger screen. A buddy came riding by on his mountain bike. I followed him down the road with my P4. ( shame I forgot to turn the video on till the last moment) I got a disconnect and all went black. I had just flown in this area and came back before following my friend. I pressed the RTH button. Meanwhile my phone rebooted. It seemed like a long wait for it to get up and running. The phone is a Samsung-SM-J327A. It kept rebooting till my P4 returned. The screen sometimes stayed on long enough for me to see the screen telemetry. All the telemetry was there and it had disconnect at the top. How did it do that? All I can think is the android had an up date not long ago. It was a little unnerving how long it took for my P4 to initiate RTH. The video I did at the moment before going black screen never stopped and at home, I watched the video to see how long it took to start the return home. 2 minutes and 40 seconds seemed long to start RTH. The flight and video never recorded on my phone.

I was over the road in the video. A man came quickly out of his house and by the time he got under my P4, it did it's return home. I was about 150 ft. el. at the time. I wonder what he was thinking as his wife stood watching? I try to never hang over someone's house. I hover over the forest if I want a panorama.
Your phone doesn't fly the drone. Your remote controller does. The drone wasnt moving because you probably weren't executing any commands through the remote controller. If there was no disconnect through the remote controller, then there was no reason for the drone to think it needed to return home.

Reactions: JoBe
Your issue has piqued my interest. Are you still planning to get the aircraft dat file?
Yes. I was playing around with it last night. i had the hardest time getting DJI assistant 2 up and running. I got it running, but wasn't sure which fill I had. It was the right day, but the times were wrong. It had files way later then I had flown. It was late and I checked one file. I'm sure it was the one returning home, because it had no throttle input. It went to RTH height and everything looked good. I'll have to check the other file tonight. I'm busy today.

Sounds like your P4 performed exactly as designed. While you were trying to get your Samsung phone working, your P4 was just hovering (a good thing in your case) due to no stick inputs. The fact it hovered for so long shows you had good connectivity between remote and A/C, otherwise it would have RTH on loss of signal. You could have initiated RTH from the remote switches with the phone dead. As others have said, your remote flies the drone, not the phone. Granted, loosing your phone, FPV video and flight parameters is scary as that's what we primarily depend on. Mostly, glad it all ended well and your P4 came home.

I was stubbornly an Android fan with a few Samsung products for years and refused to pay what I perceived as an excessive amount for an Apple product. I was WRONG. I switched to an iPad Pro two years ago and I am a very happy camper. The extra money spent was well worth it. Both DJI Go 4 and Litchi work seamlessly with all Phantom 3 and all Phantom 4 models. I rarely use DJI Go as Litchi is far superior. If you are considering whether a switch from Android to iOS is good idea, in my humble opinion, it is a great idea.

If you are considering whether a switch from Android to iOS is good idea, in my humble opinion, it is a great idea.
It's not an Android vs Apple thing at all.
The App is very demanding and needs a fast processor and enough RAM.
It runs flawlessly on suitable Android hardware just like it does on suitable Apple devices.

Meta4........Thanks for the clarification.... my Android sure does the job for me....Thank you.

Reactions: tleedom
It's been interesting. Operator's error. I'm definitely not the smartest kid on the block. I first had a problem getting DJI assistant to function from the app icon. It seems to be a problem with people right now. I have to reinstall it to make it run on my computer. Every time.

Next I went through all my data files trying to find the right file. The day of the month was easy. The files had times on them that I never flew. I checked them out till I found the right file by identification of the flight characteristics. The hover time was clearly seen and showed that characteristics through all phases of operation.Battery check, current level out over the hover time. Battery operation was fine. In fact, there were no abnormalities anywhere with checking all the other files. I checked the whole list. I hadn't figured out how to copy and paste it here, but there is no reason to.
I figured out the problem, Me! The RTH was never initiated. I thought it was. I got side tracked by my mobile device not functioning, I never notice the remote control status. I never really took time to learn the light codes. I never quit learning. I got better at bring up the data flight files and figuring out how to read them. I learned the light code on the rc. Now hands on to practice a little more. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

Reactions: BudWalker
It's not an Android vs Apple thing at all.
The App is very demanding and needs a fast processor and enough RAM.
It runs flawlessly on suitable Android hardware just like it does on suitable Apple devices.

HA!! This is correct. My Samsung S9+ has no problem running the go app or displaying the video.

Today I flew all day with a cheap tablet, and all I saw was a frozen screen. Nevertheless, I managed to record amazing video.

It's been interesting. Operator's error. I'm definitely not the smartest kid on the block. I first had a problem getting DJI assistant to function from the app icon. It seems to be a problem with people right now. I have to reinstall it to make it run on my computer. Every time.

Next I went through all my data files trying to find the right file. The day of the month was easy. The files had times on them that I never flew. I checked them out till I found the right file by identification of the flight characteristics. The hover time was clearly seen and showed that characteristics through all phases of operation.Battery check, current level out over the hover time. Battery operation was fine. In fact, there were no abnormalities anywhere with checking all the other files. I checked the whole list. I hadn't figured out how to copy and paste it here, but there is no reason to.
I figured out the problem, Me! The RTH was never initiated. I thought it was. I got side tracked by my mobile device not functioning, I never notice the remote control status. I never really took time to learn the light codes. I never quit learning. I got better at bring up the data flight files and figuring out how to read them. I learned the light code on the rc. Now hands on to practice a little more. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. LOL
The app will allow you to run automatic flight modes and stuff, but if your app gets disconnected, then you have to just grab those sticks and fly. Also, you have to hold the RTH button for a few seconds to initiate it. Once RTH is initiated, you will hear a "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, and your drone will start for home. If you press RTH again, then the command will be cancelled.

Last edited:

If it was me I’d be thinking this is one of those sUAS Pilot’s that Burger Kinged it, pick and chose which rules to follow. Freaked out because lost connection and was bvlos and panicked and after 2 minutes 40 seconds was able to gather himself and hit RTH. Lucky no mishaps this time around. [emoji41]

If it was me I’d be thinking this is one of those sUAS Pilot’s that Burger Kinged it, pick and chose which rules to follow. Freaked out because lost connection and was bvlos and panicked and after 2 minutes 40 seconds was able to gather himself and hit RTH. Lucky no mishaps this time around. [emoji41]
I have faith in my P4. If I wasn't trying to follow my friend, I wouldn't have to worry about people. We have few homes and lots of forest. It's a whole different world than Dade county. That's one of the reasons I left Florida.

One helpful thing on my pre-flight checklist: before attaching my iPad / phone to controller

Background Apps - CLOSE ALL

This ensures that low memory won't cause crashes and re-boots.

~Paul

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
It also happened to me recently (but also in the past) to have a sudden, unexpected anomaly with one of my Samsung and Huawei (and sometimes also with others low cost Chinese) tablets during the flight, perhaps more often during the RTH.
Sudden short uncertainty of the live video (perhaps due to a channel self-switching), but, the most annoying and risky, the reboot of the Android device.
I think it's a problem (bug) related to the connection via USB, but also inspect the cable, must have perfect and clean connectors with a perfect stabilty when inserted, not always are well made and is notorious they create problems, must be certified for DATA.

To try to avoid the reboot, I strongly recommend activating the Developer Mode in Android's SETTINGS and, once activated, the new 'Developer options' item appears.

In this long list of options (which can be deactivated/activated with the first switch on top ON OFF, but obviously in this case must remain ON), check 'USB debugging', make sure that 'USB configuration' has selected MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) and leave everything else as it is.
I do not guarantee that this can always avoid the involuntary reboot of Android, but it is likely to solve it.

Furthermore for years, I never let my DJI drones fly without having at least one second Android tablet turned on in standby, ready to replace the first one in case of need.
I always have a third Android smartphone with me that can be started quickly.
Redundancy always.
These devices are used exclusively as monitors for flight apps, have very few apps installed, the bare essentials and are always in Airplane mode, disconnected from any network.

• If you don't know how to activate the Android Developer mode, please search with Google, it's very easy, there are also videos on YouTube •

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Claudio....You sure do have some very great advice.....Thanks for the ........." time out of your life " to share it here !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20