UAV forecast

Reaction score
f59f1db5f348f8b134b8cd0fdb9b7aa4.jpg

Hi anyone know where to get a good uav forecast, a little more accurate then this one. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: allentc2
You might try uavforecast.com

That ia UAVFORECAST it's just the AP version.

The inherent problem with ANY weather ap is location of the reporting station. Some places are fortunate enough to have weather reporting stations in abundance while some (like where I live) they are few and far between. The ap (or website for that matter) will pick the one closest to your location but if it's not REALLY close you could see significant variations.

I tend to use UAV forecast quite often but have seen said variations a few times. WeatherUnderground has the potential for more reporting stations but it's relying on consumer grade stations in most instances. I was looking a few days ago and all of them in my area were reporting rain and mid 80's and one station right in the middle was reporting Sunny and 140deg LOL! Someone had a weather station that was on crack LOL.

Unless your traveling and looking for a forecast what can be better than evaluating for yourself?

I rely on weather radar if it looks stormy. Relying on an App. to tell me "OK to fly" or similar, never.

That ia UAVFORECAST it's just the AP version.

The inherent problem with ANY weather ap is location of the reporting station. Some places are fortunate enough to have weather reporting stations in abundance while some (like where I live) they are few and far between. The ap (or website for that matter) will pick the one closest to your location but if it's not REALLY close you could see significant variations.

I tend to use UAV forecast quite often but have seen said variations a few times. WeatherUnderground has the potential for more reporting stations but it's relying on consumer grade stations in most instances. I was looking a few days ago and all of them in my area were reporting rain and mid 80's and one station right in the middle was reporting Sunny and 140deg LOL! Someone had a weather station that was on crack LOL.
I must be one of the unfortunate ones it still says it's good to fly , but as you can see clearly not. I guess common sense takes over at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I must be one of the unfortunate ones it still says it's good to fly , but as you can see clearly not. I guess common sense takes over at this point.

Technology is trumped by common sense :)

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Check out Dark Sky. It's really impressive.
UAVForecast is using Dark Sky's data. As BigAl07 noted above, the problem with most weather software is that it does not display data from a nearby weather station. Instead, it records weather data at one location and reports that data for every location within the same city. The result is usually a pretty accurate forecast and inaccurate current conditions.

I write a program called Weather Watcher (for Windows only) that can display data from WeatherBug and Weather Underground (The Weather Channel) weather stations. It shows you the actual location of each weather station so you know exactly where the data is being recorded. It's not free, but it's a convenient way to get accurate weather data.

UAVForecast is using Dark Sky's data. As BigAl07 noted above, the problem with most weather software is that it does not display data from a nearby weather station. Instead, it records weather data at one location and reports that data for every location within the same city. The result is usually a pretty accurate forecast and inaccurate current conditions.

I write a program called Weather Watcher (for Windows only) that can display data from WeatherBug and Weather Underground (The Weather Channel) weather stations. It shows you the actual location of each weather station so you know exactly where the data is being recorded. It's not free, but it's a convenient way to get accurate weather data.
But Dark Sky tells you when it's going to rain at your current location, with a timeline and gauge for amount of rain at what point in time. Also shows wind and uv index. It actually alerts you when it's about to start/stop raining at your current location, and in my experience over the past few months it's scarily accurate.

Or you can try Forecast, which is the web version.

But Dark Sky tells you when it's going to rain at your current location, with a timeline and gauge for amount of rain at what point in time.
Right. They do corner the market on that feature. I was just pointing out it's the same weather data source. Dark Sky and/or Forecast.io does not have access to personal weather stations in the WeatherBug and Weather Underground networks.

Right. They do corner the market on that feature. I was just pointing out it's the same weather data source. Dark Sky and/or Forecast.io does not have access to personal weather stations in the WeatherBug and Weather Underground networks.
True, though it does crowd source current conditions, which has obvious limitations as well. Anyway, it's a cool app.

it does crowd source current conditions
That's a neat gimmick. I don't know if it's better than actually connecting to a nearby weather station though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers