Tips on flying inside commercial buildings

Reaction score
Hello,
I am hoping to gather some additional tips and thoughts on flying inside a commercial/ industrial building. I will be operating in an anticipated airspace of about 13' in a building with 23' ceilings. I will have prop guards on. Should I rely on "P" mode or switch to "F"? I will also have my VPS system on. If I stay in P mode without a GPS signal what are the negative consequences?

Thanks!

If you want to use VPS, you'll need to fly in "P" mode.

Reactions: Horton
No, but if it switched to P-ATTI mode due to GPS loss, you will drift. So if you give it forward stick and then release it, in GPS mode you would brake and hold position. In P-ATTI mode you will coast and need to apply enough thrust in the opposite direction to stop the drift. Go outside in a big area with no obstructions. Take off, gain some altitude, and then flip to A-mode. You will start drifting with the breeze. That's how it will be indoors, but without the breeze inducement.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I am in P mode will the changing satellite signal (if any) make the P3P act in an dangerous manner?
You most likely won't get a GPS signal indoors. If you do though, then you'll just have a more stable flight.

Check out the Phantom manual for details on how VPS works. You need to be within a certain altitude and flying over the right types of surfaces in order to take advantage of it. Otherwise, plan to fly in ATTI mode.

Hello,
I am hoping to gather some additional tips and thoughts on flying inside a commercial/ industrial building. I will be operating in an anticipated airspace of about 13' in a building with 23' ceilings. I will have prop guards on. Should I rely on "P" mode or switch to "F"? I will also have my VPS system on. If I stay in P mode without a GPS signal what are the negative consequences?

Thanks!
Just curious on any tips/suggestions you might want to add after you did the indoor flight? I'll be doing something similar to you this coming weekend inside of a gym and was thinking of ATTI mode.

Just curious on any tips/suggestions you might want to add after you did the indoor flight? I'll be doing something similar to you this coming weekend inside of a gym and was thinking of ATTI mode.

Let me know how it goes for you, I will be doing the same thing in couple of weeks. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Reactions: IronReel
Let me know how it goes for you, I will be doing the same thing in couple of weeks. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Per your request:

My tips... like many on here have said, "stick to flying outdoors". Na, I don't think that after doing this I wouldn't rule out indoor flying, but keep height in mind.
  • have at least 20' ceilings
  • ATTI or whatever manual/full-control your quad has
  • don't get close to corners or ceiling (I'd say less then 5' from) cause there is suction!
  • get all settings for camera/video done pre-flight
  • keep eyes on the bird 90% of the time or have a 2nd person watching your monitor
  • prop guards; mixed on this because it protects propellers and whatever they touch but it's also adding some variance in the control of your quad. But I recommend some quick connects
  • Lighting! The iso on my shoot was 400 which is the max I'll go to avoid grain, but this will change with the camera you have equipped.
fun part about this shoot was metal ceilings + metal workout equipment everywhere, doesn't allow for much damage should anything go wrong, except for the drone... I will be cautious going forward on accepting any work indoors unless allowed to scout the location and be confident.

Reactions: Dronason and cfd701

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20