Flying inside an Industrial Facility

Reaction score
Prepping for a flight that will have me operating inside a large building with lots of metal and other possible interference. Anyone have any general advice for this? Should I be in ATTI mode? I will be adjusting the RTH setting accordingly. Thank you!

Well.... same question... Need to fly inside such facility. When in ATTI mode - am I good as far as compass goes?

I did a straight flight through a building, and found keeping it steady was a challenge.
VPS was not helpful because there is a pit in the middle of the floor that freaked it out.
The best result was to just fly though at speed which allowed me to keep it generally on path.
After flying through and landing, the aircraft suddenly took off (toward a chain link fence), I assume as it regained GPS and compass. Will have to try atti mode next time.
The best footage was made with the aircraft strapped to my car!
This video shows the best free flight, strapped to the car, and the GoPro attached to the side of the car.

Well.... same question... Need to fly inside such facility. When in ATTI mode - am I good as far as compass goes?

Nope, no compass, no P-GPS mode. So you will want VPS turned on and you will have to pay attention to height because once you get above 10' you will lose VPS and be flying completely on your own. As soon as you lose VPS your bird will start drifting so make all changes beforehand. Once in the air with VPS on - change your rc control to home lock mode on the tablet. Also later when flying, if it starts drifting to the point that you feel that you are losing control because of the height off of the ground, all you need to do is lower the UAV's elevation to below 10' or until VPS can kick back in. Then you can let go of the sticks if needed and it will hover, maybe not perfectly but it will hold within 3' usually. If you are 40 to 50' in the air above an interior roof or plywood or something wide enough up there, you can fly over to it and as long as the UAV is within 10 feet of and directly over the roof structure, VPS will kick back in until you move off of it again. The best thing that you can do is to take it outside and learn to fly it in atti mode because that's what happens indoors above 10'. Once it starts drifting, it will continue to drift until it is either brought under control either by you.. or a wall will slap it down...

Last edited:
Nope, no compass, no P-GPS mode. So you will want VPS turned on and you will have to pay attention to height because once you get above 10' you will lose VPS and be flying completely on your own. As soon as you lose VPS your bird will start drifting so make all changes beforehand. Once in the air with VPS on - change your rc control to home lock mode on the tablet. Also later when flying, if it starts drifting to the point that you feel that you are losing control because of the height off of the ground, all you need to do is lower the UAV's elevation to below 10' or until VPS can kick back in. Then you can let go of the sticks if needed and it will hover, maybe not perfectly but it will hold within 3' usually. If you are 40 to 50' in the air above an interior roof or plywood or something wide enough up there, you can fly over to it and as long as the UAV is within 10 feet of and directly over the roof structure, VPS will kick back in until you move off of it again. The best thing that you can do is to take it outside and learn to fly it in atti mode because that's what happens indoors above 10'. Once it starts drifting, it will continue to drift until it is either brought under control either by you.. or a wall will slap it down...

Thanks alot. I do know how to fly in atti but I didnt do it too often. And I didnt know its not using compass so my plan is to go out now and start testing it a bit. (second battery charging just now :) ) And I didnt know about the VPS 10'. Thanks alot! Will try and let ya know if I hit the wall :D

Reactions: Reed L
DJI once had a video (I can't find it after looking on their youtube page) of them flying around/in an old industrial building as part of their marketing footage.

Their bird looked stable as all heck in such setting. However in real life I didn't have much luck. Even when I was flying low to a paved road under the thick canopy of the redwood forest - my bird acted like a **** drunk. I couldn't get a straight flight path to save my life.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj