Flying inside

Reaction score
i wish to fly my P3A inside a warehouse. now i understand that i will probally have to be in Atti mode with VPS switched on. i have used atti mode several times outside and quite confident that i control in a confined space.

now when i fire everything up and switch to atti mode (or GPS mode) it won't let switch the motors on. keeps coming up with compass error. now im inside a metal building so i expect this to happen.

i was under the impression that this shouldn't mattter as im wishing to fly in atti mode? maybe im wrong?

i thought, hey i just won't callibrate the compass as i won't be going any further that 20 feet away.

question is, how do i fly inside on atti mode with compass error? or can i not?

VPS will be disabled in ATTI mode. Try leaving it in P mode and see if it goes to "safe to fly - no gps". You may need to move it around to different spots to find a spot without compass interference.

tried leaving in p mode also, still get compass interference error. just tried it outside to double check that it wasn't a real compass error and eveything was ok.
maybe just too much metal around.

Try hand holding the P3 at various heights and see if the error will clear. I recently flew indoors in a large gymnasium, and the same thing happened I believe it was the rebar in the floor causing the issue. When a few feet above the floor, the compass errors cleared and I could start the motors and then fly in ATTI mode. I ended up using a large plastic garbage can/dumpster as my take off platform for 4 batteries worth of flying. Landed on the floor just fine each time. Flew with VPS on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

thanks guys. had to raise it up off the floor a couple of feet and the error cleared. all good to fly!!

Nice. Remember to leave it in P mode if you want to use VPS.

yea left it in P mode. more stable than i thought it would be. another question as we are on the subject. When flying indoors if i change the failsafe mode to hover instead of RTH.
if the signal is lost it should just hover? correct?

what would happen if i pressed the return to home button? would this just hover or would it RTH?

Yeah, it's a good idea to change the failsafe mode to hover (or land). You don't want it ascending to return home if it loses RC signal.

If you don't have GPS signal, I don't think RTH will actually work at all. But if it does work, and you're within 20 meters of the home point, it will just land in place if you hit the RTH button.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj