Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

What type of android device?

I appreciate your responsiveness and dedication to this forum!

Nvidia shield - DJI Pilot 1.07

So much theory - very interesting

The P3 iso can go down to 100 if I am not mistaken

Nvidia shield - DJI Pilot 1.07

So much theory - very interesting

The P3 iso can go down to 100 if I am not mistaken
100ISO?? That's great.. Another reason to consider the P3 over the GP4. Mohan, can you please confirm you can lock it at 100ISO?

100ISO?? That's great.. Another reason to consider the P3 over the GP4. Mohan, can you please confirm you can lock it at 100ISO?

Well here is a screenshot to show it will go down to 100

photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: sawx75
Mohan... I first want to thank you very much for being so helpful in this thread... It is helping me decide which direction I want to go.. Unfortunately I am still on the fence and it's not so much the phantom itself, but the camera that has me a bit pickled.. so again I thank you for your insight on being a new P3 owner..

Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned the distortion at the corners of frame.. and that what If DJI was using a fisheye lens (Which is easier and less expensive to manufacture than a corrected ultra wide lens) and then using software in the camera to correct the distortion before saving the image file... Well it got me thinking, so I loaded up premier and reversed the barrel distortion effect the same amount that I use to remove barrel distortion in a GP fisheye and not only did it remove the distortion at the edges of frame, but it also brought back almost exactly the same optic distortion of a fisheye lens... Here are a few screen grabs of an unedited frame from Mohan's video and then the same screen grab with the same amount of positive barrel distortion correction used to remove a fisheye lens... Pay attention to the two cars at the lower left and right of frame..

Un Edited Screen Grab

Barrel Distortion Added

Reactions: dalebb and sawx75
That's good news.. Can you also lock shutter speed the same time you lock ISO?

Yes - you have to press the AE Lock on the screen (Blue padlock on the right) and it will lock it. However I cannot simply drag the ISO down to 100 - I had to let the the auto hunt it down by adjusting shutter then click the padlock once I got ISO down to 100 and then manually change shutter.. maybe user limitation on my part

photo.JPG

That's also good news as well regardless of the workaround, which can be fixed through an update.

Being able to lock shutter speed and ISO takes the P3 camera closer to professional functionality..

Can you turn off post processing auto sharpening as well?

Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned the distortion at the corners of frame.. and that what If DJI was using a fisheye lens (Which is easier and less expensive to manufacture than a corrected ultra wide lens) and then using software in the camera to correct the distortion before saving the image file...
This sounds highly unlikely .. the sort of crazy idea that pops up on forums.
Look at the size of the lens on the P3 against the lens on the P2V+ and that should tell you all you need to know.
They definitely are not using a cheap old fisheye they had lying around and converting from there.

Re any small levels of distortion - that should be pretty minor.
Every lens design has some degree of imperfection but it can be addressed in software.
Adobe has released a lens profile to allow total rectification for the Inspire/P3 lens - just like every Nikon and Canon SLR lens out there.

That's also good news as well regardless of the workaround, which can be fixed through an update.

Being able to lock shutter speed and ISO takes the P3 camera closer to professional functionality..

Can you turn off post processing auto sharpening as well?

To be totally honest I couldn't find any other options on this settings tab. Doesn't mean it is not there.. I am going to put my hands up and say I have been more of a RC guy - you have taught me a level of knowledge regarding the camera operation that I previously never sought.. I was always a 'AUTO' guy...:Do_O

This sounds highly unlikely .. the sort of crazy idea that pops up on forums.
Look at the size of the lens on the P3 against the lens on the P2V+ and that should tell you all you need to know.
They definitely are not using a cheap old fisheye they had lying around and converting from there.

Re any small levels of distortion - that should be pretty minor.
Every lens design has some degree of imperfection but it can be addressed in software.
Adobe has released a lens profile to allow total rectification for the Inspire/P3 lens - just like every Nikon and Canon SLR lens out there.

Not saying they used a fisheye from the P2, just stating and backed up by the images that the edge barrel distortion was removed by the opposite effect used to remove fisheye barrel distortion. It's obvious its not the same lens and that the center of frame is looking a lot better, but I wouldn't be surprised if the raw sensor image uncorrected has a bit of a fisheye look to it.. In a nutshell, I believe they are doing some postprocessing with barrel distortion before saving the image.

Reactions: StevenQX
Thanks will good to see how it looks next to the 4k footage. It will also be good to see the P3A vs P3P in 1080p 60 when they hit the shelf's

OK it is a bit overcast today so not the nicest of days to take a video. But it is pretty windy with gusts of 20 mph. I can't see any Jello but I am sure someone will see it if it is there on the video. This is for the benefit of users who don't want 4K footage. File sizes are very economical in size.

720 footage ----> https://www.dropbox.com/s/20ei0lp56wy6dbq/DJI_0122.MOV?dl=0
1080 footage --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvvk4swci1w564s/DJI_0123.MOV?dl=0

Snapshot of conditions

DJI_0124.JPG

OK it is a bit overcast today so not the nicest of days to take a video. But it is pretty windy with gusts of 20 mph. I can't see any Jello but I am sure someone will see it if it is there on the video. This is for the benefit of users who don't want 4K footage. File sizes are very economical in size.

720 footage ----> https://www.dropbox.com/s/20ei0lp56wy6dbq/DJI_0122.MOV?dl=0
1080 footage --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvvk4swci1w564s/DJI_0123.MOV?dl=0

Snapshot of conditions

View attachment 18141

Totally new to this and have no real world experience as yet, but from what I have managed to glean from these threads it looks like a ND filter will be a necessity

Mohan,

Those videos look good.. The lower light level from the overcast day and the 50fps frame rate helped to smooth out the video. The lowest ISO you can lock too would be the best.. Plus using auto exposure lock would keep the camera from changing exposure as the brightness of the scene changes. If you weren't locked off on exposure, then it appears the P3 is overexposing just a bit.. next flight try setting an EV adjustment value of -1/3 to -2/3rds of a stop.. That should bring your highlight detail back in so you get detail in the sky.

A darker ND filter would help to further smooth things out and get it looking tits...

Here's a tip for DJI...

If your gonna call the P3P the "Professional Model" why don't you guys include a small set of ND filters like you do for the Inspire with a small counter weight... I wouldn't care if you guys use a slip on filter mount or just thread the end of the barrel, but a set of ND's and polarizer would be good.. Pola -3 stop, ND-2, -4 and -6 stop glass would give this drone a **** ton more production value.. I personally would even pay a bit more if you included this.. Something to think about.. Especially considering that it would cut down on all you support calls you receive for Jello and frame strobing.

Something to think about!

Mohan,

Those videos look good.. The lower light level from the overcast day and the 50fps frame rate helped to smooth out the video. The lowest ISO you can lock too would be the best.. Plus using auto exposure lock would keep the camera from changing exposure as the brightness of the scene changes. If you weren't locked off on exposure, then it appears the P3 is overexposing just a bit.. next flight try setting an EV adjustment value of -1/3 to -2/3rds of a stop.. That should bring your highlight detail back in so you get detail in the sky.

A darker ND filter would help to further smooth things out and get it looking tits...

Here's a tip for DJI...

If your gonna call the P3P the "Professional Model" why don't you guys include a small set of ND filters like you do for the Inspire with a small counter weight... I wouldn't care if you guys use a slip on filter mount or just thread the end of the barrel, but a set of ND's and polarizer would be good.. Pola -3 stop, ND-2, -4 and -6 stop glass would give this drone a **** ton more production value.. I personally would even pay a bit more if you included this.. Something to think about.. Especially considering that it would cut down on all you support calls you receive for Jello and frame strobing.

Something to think about!

ISO locked at 100 - EV -2/3 - 1080 footage

Download ---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms19f3vvkkn8922/DJI_0128.MOV?dl=0

Snapshot of scenery

DJI_0129.JPG

Last edited:
I can't see it, other wise it would have to have loads of different height restrictions for all over the world which seems to high tech. Some are still being told at this point by DJI they are not even set by GPS so its all a mystery at this point. I was upset enough see it had a 500 Mtr height restriction in the app, if it turned out to be only 120 Mtr I will be very upset. We find out later anyway cos there is a test being done for us by mohan.
the p2v+ is set to 120 metres on uk models as this is uk legal max height, it can be changed to unlimited but is highly illegal to do so

Send me a link to what your looking at.. A standard ND filter made for a camera wont work, as those are threaded.... Is the front of the lens on the P3 camera threaded?

If the front of the camera isn't threaded then your gonna need to rig something or wait for a vendor to make a filter adapter that fits the P3 camera...

Here is a company that makes ones for the Gopro, p2+ and inspire.

http://polarprofilters.com/shop/shop-by-activity/quadcopter-multi-rotor

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl