This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Hmm.. All the numbers are exactly the same!! I guess it doesn't really make any difference then, since your numbers are great!
Maybe it got something to do with the firmware u got on yours.. Its just that a lot of new (purchased in the past 1-2 months) P3S owners on here report great results with all stock Standards, vs. ppl who got their standard last year mostly disappointed with their range. You can see a lot of threads here with ppl complaining bout range issues etc.. @dirkclod was the one who first pointed out. i still think there is some truth to it tho. But regardless, its a great bird to mess around with. i cant wait to do more 'things' to mine :smirk: we gonna go the distance and she's gonna love it :wink:
im looking into getting dipoles, and battery mod very very soon.
From my log my first flight was 9/22 and back then when I went 6,666' that was great . Not the case now so the newer ones have to be
better some how if but nothing but by better cables or they fired somebody ..I dono .

Reactions: SZNJ732
So, i'm a week into my 3 Standard, 4th drone, started with a few small guys and worked my way up. This last one was a gift and feeling confident enough to do some modding, I ordered the DBS Mod for the standard after reading some good reviews. going to be posting my results as i go along. what mods did you drop on this one or could you direct me to another link for more info regarding the correct add ons to buy. Am i going to be able to upgrade my DBS with some boosters? How long will video transmit opposed to remote control. This is all fairly new to me so any help is greatly appreciated. I am away on a get away as we speak and have a lot of open air to do some stock tests before i return home to my mod.
Sunhans 2.4Ghz Wireless Signal Booster 2.5W WiFi Indoor Signal Amplifiers
SUNHANS eSunRC 2W 5.8GHz 33dBm FPV Aeromodelling Amplifiler WiFi Signal Booster
DC 12680 6800mAh DC 12V Super Lithium Polymer Battery Pack, 1-3 day shipping
ITELITE Range Extender for PHANTOM 3 4K - ITE-DBS01_V.3
This is all i've used in these tests for signal mods so far! (I do use external birdside batteries for extended flight time)I'm starting to wonder if its even worth messing with the birdside additional antennas!
The answers to rest of yer questions are all in this thread

Last edited:
Sunhans 2.4Ghz Wireless Signal Booster 2.5W WiFi Indoor Signal Amplifiers
SUNHANS eSunRC 2W 5.8GHz 33dBm FPV Aeromodelling Amplifiler WiFi Signal Booster
DC 12680 6800mAh DC 12V Super Lithium Polymer Battery Pack, 1-3 day shipping
ITELITE Range Extender for PHANTOM 3 4K - ITE-DBS01_V.3
This is all i've used in these tests for signal mods so far! (I do use external birdside batteries for extended flight time)I'm starting to wonder if its even worth messing with the birdside additional antennas!
The answers to rest of yer questions are all in this thread
Hello dirtybum- Are you still using a tripod? Not sure if that was you or someone else.

From my log my first flight was 9/22 and back then when I went 6,666' that was great . Not the case now so the newer ones have to be
better some how if but nothing but by better cables or they fired somebody ..I dono .
Honestly, Big D, i didnt know this model had it in it! When i was flying the p3a/p distance chasin i read what a challenge this little guy was to get ANY distance at all! I thought to myself " i would love to take some of my p2v+ mod experience & mod the hell outa this thang and go for 3 miles"!
I had no idea this Standard was going to be this capable especially w/ stock antennas! Even w/ heavy external battery mods this model is lighter, faster,& has potential to have longer flight times/distance than its bigger brothers, no let me retry that, bigger SISTERS!
Completely unexpected!

Honestly, Big D, i didnt know this model had it in it! When i was flying the p3a/p distance chasin i read what a challenge this little guy was to get ANY distance at all! I thought to myself " i would love to take some of my p2v+ mod experience & mod the hell outa this thang and go for 3 miles"!
I had no idea this Standard was going to be this capable especially w/ stock antennas! Even w/ heavy external battery mods this model is lighter, faster,& has potential to have longer flight times/distance than its bigger brothers, no let me retry that, bigger SISTERS!
Completely unexpected!
Yep.. I knew it as soon as it popped up it would . Not with stock antennas but from coming from the P2's I saw a lot of potential .
Was getting ready to get an Adv when I saw it and ya see what I got .
I will have a 4K next .I think it has more in it not to mention the extra features on the TX .
You have not surprised me though as I have watched what you did with the P2's and expected nothing less from you .

Reactions: dirtybum
Hello dirtybum- Are you still using a tripod? Not sure if that was you or someone else.
Yep, after 2 miles my AdD kicks in and i start watching birds and squirrels around me so a tripod is the only way i can keep it steady and aim true! (Plus after the controller is fully loaded its **** heavy)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459338612.846665.jpg

Yep, after 2 miles my AdD kicks in and i start watching birds and squirrels around me so a tripod is the only way i can keep it steady and aim true! (Plus after the controller is fully loaded its **** heavy)
View attachment 48970
Where did you get that one at may I ask? I might pick one up as well. I know you said aiming steady is crucial in getting distance.

I got that one at the thrift store for three dollars. They have them there all the time, they usually at the top have a little screw sticking up to screw into the bottom of the camera. The bracket that holds my boosters and locks into the controller I screwed a hole in and put a nutsert so I can easily attach it to the tripod. Yeah what you get out so far it's pretty important to be locked in! The signal back-and-forth is traveling along ways so you're either locked in or you're not

Completely unexpected!

DB what state do you live in? I saw Des Moines and wondered if it was in Washington State?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

DB what state do you live in? I saw Des Moines and wondered if it was in Washington State?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Des Moines, Iowa!
Greatest city in the world( some think)
Why, which area do you live in, Speedz?

5.8 is the control and that's the one that I seemed to lose first. Someone else who knows more may chime in, but I don't think you're going to see a difference between a 2, 2.5, 3,or even 4 watt booster one may be 30db and the other 36db boost but I have a couple 4 watts and I don't see any difference between them and my 2.5 W

Hey dirtybum, I had mine out to 9500 feet today. I started to loose control signal, adjusting the altitude does seem to help.

Do you get more distance from under 200ft or 400ft and above?

My Video was a solid 5 bars, even at 9500ft. I think I'll stay at one 2.5W booster for now.

I stay low as i can for as far as i can! Usually when i hit 2 miles and drop a bar i'll go from 150 to 200 then every time i drop a couple bars i'll climb another 50 until 500. Aiming at 500 isnt as easy as aiming at the horizon

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Heres a couple screenshots to show signal strength on my 40,000+ run today w/ stock bird and DBS boosted controller. BTW, just because the screen shows red weak signal its not a sign that all is lost! I see that a lot during the flight but as long as the bars are strong everything is flowing smoothly!
View attachment 48828
View attachment 48829
Heres the stock bird w/ lipos strapped before the flightView attachment 48830View attachment 48831

Man your distance test made me order some 2x 2.4ghz 3w gold sunhans boosters for my dbs mod and a spare P3A aircraft only from DJI.
What the best battery mod for the P3A
Phantom 3 Power Mod V3
Or
DJI PHANTOM 3 SMART BATTERY MOD AND KIT WITH INCLUDES 2-3 DAY SHIPPING

Man your distance test made me order some 2x 2.4ghz 3w gold sunhans boosters for my dbs mod and a spare P3A aircraft only from DJI.
Phantom 3 Power Mod V3
Or
Most all of us are getting better results out of our own modded batteries with different brands of lipos and all that reported except for two have the opinion that the v-3 is a waste of money. Have checked out this subject here
Horizon v-3 split power mod

Phantom 3 Power Mod V3
Or
You know Pluto, that 40 was w/ the standard not the Advanced rite? I run the advanced that far out but have yet to make it 40 w/ it cause of batt limitations! The advance is lighter and seems to be a perfect candidate for a bat mod!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj