This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I'm trying to understand how dual 2.4 antenna's, and the single 5.8 work in the Standard's Controller (with DBS)? How is that split? I guess I'm used to the P3/4 Controllers where are are only 2 antenna leads both @ 2.4.
The standard uses a different panel than the p3p/a. The Itelite panel for the Standard has (3) ports. (2)2.4 &(1) 5.8

Heres a couple screenshots to show signal strength on my 40,000+ run today w/ stock bird and DBS boosted controller. BTW, just because the screen shows red weak signal its not a sign that all is lost! I see that a lot during the flight but as long as the bars are strong everything is flowing smoothly!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459227281.603631.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459227299.036889.jpg

Heres the stock bird w/ lipos strapped before the flight
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459227352.857979.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459227385.827545.jpg

Heres a couple screenshots to show signal strength on my 40,000+ run today w/ stock bird and DBS boosted controller. BTW, just because the screen shows red weak signal its not a sign that all is lost! I see that a lot during the flight but as long as the bars are strong everything is flowing smoothly!
View attachment 48828
View attachment 48829
Heres the stock bird w/ lipos strapped before the flightView attachment 48830View attachment 48831

Hey dirtybum, do I need to keep my eye on the satellite icon? I don't get 12, but more like 8 or 9.

I went ahead and got the 5.8 4W booster, my control signal is definitely the one I always loose first.

So as long as that control signal is not down to a single bar of signal lost. The red weak signal notification is nothing to worry about?

Reactions: dirtybum
I need to get me a P3 Standard. Wish I saw that eBay $399 deal in time last week. Then again I'm on the prowl for another v1 (W322) Advanced and if I can't find one of those in really good condition I'll likely end up getting a new P3A or P3P from ThePixelHub on eBay.

Hey dirtybum, do I need to keep my eye on the satellite icon? I don't get 12, but more like 8 or 9.

I went ahead and got the 5.8 4W booster, my control signal is definitely the one I always loose first.

So as long as that control signal is not down to a single bar of signal lost. The red weak signal notification is nothing to worry about?
It was 9 sats for most my flight, i didnt even notice the 12 til you mentioned it! Dont worry Big Guy, 9 is plenty!

I need to get me a P3 Standard. Wish I saw that eBay $399 deal in time last week. Then again I'm on the prowl for another v1 (W322) Advanced and if I can't find one of those in really good condition I'll likely end up getting a new P3A or P3P from ThePixelHub on eBay.
Yep, thats the bird" rite thar"!
Old motor p3a/p's rule!

Reactions: dirkclod
I already had a set of batteries charged up so I couldn't resist doing another run today stock standard, DBS boosted. Even though it was 17 MPH WINDS!!!(check out how wavy my flight path was) 20,000+ feet, no signal issues.
I think we can all agree that stock bird boosted panel is sufficient enough. What do you guys think should we even go onto the next step, add dipoles??
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459268238.772792.jpg

I already had a set of batteries charged up so I couldn't resist doing another run today stock standard, DBS boosted. Even though it was 17 MPH WINDS!!!(check out how wavy my flight path was) 20,000+ feet, no signal issues.
I think we can all agree that stock bird boosted panel is sufficient enough. What do you guys think should we even go onto the next step, add dipoles??View attachment 48860

yeah, very impressive! Standard is a good bird, but it appears that newer model P3S are put together better than last year model, and get better bone stock range without any mods.
I have last year model and honestly i had a hard time getting any decent distance until i threw in DBS and amps.
I doubt i will ever get to 40,000 even if i hook up every available antenna mod out there..
If you have full signal at 40,000' with the current set up, how much farther can you really get before you have to turn around and go home, considering your batt was at 50% at that range.
Unless you can fly in a straight line till you run out of battery, and have someone follow it in a car and recover it after it lands. Then its probably worth adding dipoles, imo.
but if you do decide to go thru with it, keep us updated, we would love to hear your results!
(btw the wind has been brutal here in NJ for the past 2 days, with gusts over 50mph . And its been very windy for the past 2 weeks. it really sucks, cant wait till we get better weather out here)

Here's my controller, the top is my 5.8 (long antenna) booster, bottom is my 2.4(double helix antennas) booster. What if I had a booster for each helix instead of them sharing one? Guessing I would need another battery to power it?

http://i.imgur.com/OPIYCRv.jpg

I use a 6800mAh battery to power all 3 of my 2.5W boosters, it works just fine. It can easily last 3-4 flights, or about an hour of non-stop flying.

Reactions: dirtybum
Hey,J732, I can't be sure if this is the old model or the new model! I just got it a week ago and from what I understand it was an old store return with a broken antenna on the controller but never been registered.
The FW is 1.1.30 so maybe that's why it's having such great reception! I really don't know. With it coming new out-of-the-box with that firmware how can you tell if it's old or new or different from yours, do you know?

Cant say for sure that it's no better maybe someone else can chime in the knows more. But I'm guessing your 2 W is a 30-33 db boost and that one is a 36 which is as high as you can use. So one things for sure if you do get that one you got the best of the best!

Hey dirtybum what's the maximum db boost on the 2.5 ghz antennas? Is that 36?

Hey,J732, I can't be sure if this is the old model or the new model! I just got it a week ago and from what I understand it was an old store return with a broken antenna on the controller but never been registered.
The FW is 1.1.30 so maybe that's why it's having such great reception! I really don't know. With it coming new out-of-the-box with that firmware how can you tell if it's old or new or different from yours, do you know?

Well... I believe mine came with the original firmware:
2015.9.3 - Version: v1.1.30
I did the "Christmas FW update" about a week after it came out:
2015.12.22 - Version: v1.3.50
I noticed that my range decreased and signal became much weaker after this update.
Last week i updated to the newest FW:
2016.3.15 - Version: v1.4.60
Surprisingly, it improved my range and quality of signal and wifi video down link. ( a lot of other P3S owners also confirmed the latest update improved signal/distance).

Here is a pic of the sticker from the box, i got mine around Christmas last year.. im not really sure how to tell the manufacture date tho. Maybe you can look at yours and see if there is any difference.
IMG_1288.JPG

Well... I believe mine came with the original firmware:
2015.9.3 - Version: v1.1.30
I did the "Christmas FW update" about a week after it came out:
2015.12.22 - Version: v1.3.50
I noticed that my range decreased and signal became much weaker after this update.
Last week i updated to the newest FW:
2016.3.15 - Version: v1.4.60
Surprisingly, it improved my range and quality of signal and wifi video down link. ( a lot of other P3S owners also confirmed the latest update improved signal/distance).

Here is a pic of the sticker from the box, i got mine around Christmas last year.. im not really sure how to tell the manufacture date tho. Maybe you can look at yours and see if there is any difference.
View attachment 48923
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459297946.151008.jpg

Heres what I'm flying

Reactions: SZNJ732

Hmm.. All the numbers are exactly the same!! I guess it doesn't really make any difference then, since your numbers are great!
Maybe it got something to do with the firmware u got on yours.. Its just that a lot of new (purchased in the past 1-2 months) P3S owners on here report great results with all stock Standards, vs. ppl who got their standard last year mostly disappointed with their range. You can see a lot of threads here with ppl complaining bout range issues etc.. @dirkclod was the one who first pointed out. i still think there is some truth to it tho. But regardless, its a great bird to mess around with. i cant wait to do more 'things' to mine :smirk: we gonna go the distance and she's gonna love it :wink:
im looking into getting dipoles, and battery mod very very soon.

So, i'm a week into my 3 Standard, 4th drone, started with a few small guys and worked my way up. This last one was a gift and feeling confident enough to do some modding, I ordered the DBS Mod for the standard after reading some good reviews. going to be posting my results as i go along. what mods did you drop on this one or could you direct me to another link for more info regarding the correct add ons to buy. Am i going to be able to upgrade my DBS with some boosters? How long will video transmit opposed to remote control. This is all fairly new to me so any help is greatly appreciated. I am away on a get away as we speak and have a lot of open air to do some stock tests before i return home to my mod.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues