The Phantom 2 Vision main controller firmware has been upgra

Re: The Phantom 2 Vision main controller firmware has been u

rfernandez said:
I think that is correct .... but for good reason in many cases ... and in my opinion, airports should be locked out.
Much will be determined by the way we self-regulate the technology before governments begin to intervene.

I think some regulation is appropriate. Too many idiots out there trying to prove how far and how high the can fly without thinking of the possible consequences of being beyond visual range. Having said that, the manufacturer would have not thought of that on its own. This is already being influenced by government. Since the FAA cant seem to make a ruling, perhaps this is another way they are do it. And i will get more restrictive you wait and see. I don't trust them as far as i can throw them.

Just because the FAA is dysfunctional, that does not mean the Military is.
And in the USA, it is the "Pentagon" that swings the most weight.
They can get a lot done, and their boss reports directly to the President, not to Congress.

Seahorse said:
Old Gazer said:
Mori55 said:
Heard the gimbal screen is gone ? How can you adjust it now ?
I have the new firmware update and still have the gimble settings. Someone has said that if you have the 7th channel hack to revert back to Vision to see it in Vision assistant. I do believe that it would be a good idea to revert back to Vision before upgrading for those that are using the hack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would be a better idea that DJI acknowledge people are fitting the DJI 7th channel switch to control gimbal and include software settings for it in 2.1... :idea:

I didn't revert back before the update and everything works exactly as it should in the new 2.0 with NAZA-M showing at the top. I have no gimbal tab though but found the work around.

If you want to get the gimbal tab back you have to temporarily revert back to Vision with the tool. The only need for this would be to change a setting then reapply H3-2D setting for 7th channel control.

Just because the FAA is dysfunctional, that does not mean the Military is.
And in the USA, it is the "Pentagon" that swings the most weight.
They can get a lot done, and their boss reports directly to the President, not to Congress.

I don't think the military doesn't care much about the civilian use. They do care about the technology being developed for their own purpose. And this whole government is dysfunctional..

rfernandez said:
I don't think the military doesn't care much about the civilian use. They do care about the technology being developed for their own purpose. And this whole government is dysfunctional..

Getting a little USA-centric on the politics here guys... We did politics on the Rotorpixel thread once - it stopped before it got bloody, but only just. ;)

Question , when the ground station comes out can I use my iPad mini wifi only if I preload a map of my area ?

IMO I don't think DJI should put any limitations on it. We should keep our **** freedom and if you are foolish enough to break a law that is the individual's fault, not the machine. Same as the ridiculous firearms laws coming out in the US. Let's blame the guns and not the ******* breaking the laws that already exist. I just don't think excessive laws and control is beneficial to the rights of the civilian...for anything.

bobomet said:
Pull_Up said:
The airports exclusion zones are only applicable for setting waypoints, so that will come into play for us with the app update. But you can still fly normally within the exclusion zone - I think they are preempting issues with airspace regulators in an attempt to head off any regulations against autonomous flying for this class of aircraft.

One of my sons (works for a consulting engineering firm near Washington, DC) told me last night there is a plan afoot to lock down a wide radius around KDCA-National and Dulles Airports to all UAV activity.
I'm sure NYC airports are in the discussion as well.
How do they plan to enforce it .....? Well, we do know the capability is there now.
Missiles!

I've seen a youtube video of a Phantom flying over the Egyptian protests in Cairo. It was shot down with a machine gun.

PS
There is a post in the video section of someone asking if he could fly over the White House because he said it is in a national park.
Some people don't have common sense.

Scottrod said:
IMO I don't think DJI should put any limitations on it. We should keep our **** freedom and if you are foolish enough to break a law that is the individual's fault, not the machine. Same as the ridiculous firearms laws coming out in the US. Let's blame the guns and not the ******* breaking the laws that already exist. I just don't think excessive laws and control is beneficial to the rights of the civilian...for anything.

For now the limits are user configurable. Set them to infinity and there are no limits. For now...

gfredrone said:
Scottrod said:

For now the limits are user configurable. Set them to infinity and there are no limits. For now...
This is an interview with Colin Guinn stating DJI position is not so much to enforce laws and regulations but to give users the tools to know when they are flying outside the laws and/or regulations. He also said they have put in geo fences for the Chinese government around an unnamed monument and will do so for other governments when they agree with the reason.

Of course, Colin Guinn is no longer with DJI.
The video is also interesting in that he gets a call from "Frank" (Tao Wang from DJI China).

http://youtu.be/n7h8x28rKMg

I posted this video before but some may have missed it.

I think a better firmware update would have been to certainly limit the descent speed but only up to a certain height, i.e. slow the rate of descent starting at 100 feet above the ground. Above 100 feet, allow the same descent speed that was allowed prior to the recent firmware upgrade.

phantomguy said:
I think a better firmware update would have been to certainly limit the descent speed but only up to a certain height, i.e. slow the rate of descent starting at 100 feet above the ground. Above 100 feet, allow the same descent speed that was allowed prior to the recent firmware upgrade.
That would require that the ground is in the same place where you decide to land as it was where you took off (definitely not in my case; it's +/- 300 feet on my property) and that the baro altimeter is accurate.

By my math, 3 m/s is nearly 15mph, which is still a pretty serious clip going straight down. If you want to go faster, you could test to see if motor shutoff will work at altitude. ;)

There have been users that have attempted to descend rapidly and while in their own prop wash they have lost control. Most of us either move forward doing that or my favorite is to do tight circles. It gets you out of the prop wash.

Tahoe Ed said:
There have been users that have attempted to descend rapidly and while in their own prop wash they have lost control. Most of us either move forward doing that or my favorite is to do tight circles. It gets you out of the prop wash.

I had to do a rapid decent the other day, as I'd let the battery get a little too "critical" and just brought it straight down at speed. Very bumpy ride. When I got it down far enough that I knew I'd make it in time, I circled and dropped at the same time. I looked at the video of that ride down, later... scared the crap out of me. Thing was pretty much totally out of control there for a bit...

-slinger

dkatz42 said:
By my math, 3 m/s is nearly 15mph, which is still a pretty serious clip going straight down.
Show your work, please. I'm pretty sure that 3 m/s is less than 7 mph. Each meter per second equals 2.24 mph. :)

60x60=3600 seconds in an hour so 1 m/s equals 3,6 km/h. Times 3 equals 10,8 km/h. Divided by 1,609 equals 6,71 mph. That's a fairly brisk running speed but a fairly slow cycling speed.

Bigbells said:
dkatz42 said:
By my math, 3 m/s is nearly 15mph, which is still a pretty serious clip going straight down.
Show your work, please. I'm pretty sure that 3 m/s is less than 7 mph. Each meter per second equals 2.24 mph. :)
Ah well, multiplied by 5280/3600 rather than 3600/5280. I'll thank the Brits for saddling us with an insane system of weights and measures, and the Americans for refusing to go metric (we tried back in the 70s but it didn't stick.)

I'm reminded of the Gimli Glider, a B767 that ran out of fuel at 41,000 feet because both the pilot and the maintenance guy got the lb/kg conversion backwards (the fuel gauges weren't working, and the MEL at the time allowed for using a stick in the fuel tank to measure quantity). The pilot (an accomplished glider pilot) dead-sticked the aircraft onto an abandoned air force runway (which was being used for drag races at the time). No power meant no hydraulics, which meant no nose gear (the mains locked down under their own weight) and no flaps (he needed to do a forward slip to lose altitude--I bet flying sideways was exciting for the pax). All of the injuries were due to sliding down the slides (particularly the rear door slides, which ended at some distance from the ground because the plane was sitting on its nose).

Er. "Never mind." :?

So what is the max altitude limit with 2.0 upgrade?

The altitude and distance limitations are user configurable. So the altitude limit is what ever you set the limit to be.

I have a few issues since doing this update. Prior to this update my Phantom would get a gps lock within a minute tops. Now it can sometimes take 2or3 min. Also my wifi range is way shorter now but only at distance not altitude. Meaning, if I go straight up I can easily do 400ft but if I go out it will cut off at about 250/300ft and go into failsafe.
The conditions are exactly the same as far as my location. Today is a little overcast is about the only real difference. Just odd that this started after doing the update. The limits are still at the default. Can't remember at the moment but they are set way beyond what I'm getting.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Oh, batteries on the extender, tx, and Phantom were fully charged.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor