Remote ID Question regarding Phantom 4 Pro

Reaction score
I have been out of the drone field for roughly four years due to commitments with graduate school and the pandemic. I have an older DJI Phantom 4 Pro that has been in storage during that time. I plan to get recertified for the FAA Part 107 license before the end of this year. I am aware that the Phantom 4 Pro has been discontinued. For the interim, I plan to fly my Phantom 4 Pro to refresh and rebuild my piloting skills until I decide on an appropriate drone to replace it. While reading my FAA Part 107 study guide, I learned that in 2020, while I was absent from flying, that the FAA will soon require both newer and older drones to have Remote IDs or other appropriate radio or transmitter IDs to allow them to be identified in flight. I am no expert on radio frequencies or radio equipment. Before I fly my Phantom 4 Pro, I intend to make sure that the drone has the mentioned FAA-required remote ID, be properly updated with its software and firmware, get a remote controller with a built-in display, and, if necessary, replace the lithium batteries and any other parts that need replacing. My question is does the older Phantom 4 Pro already have the FAA-required transmittable remote ID built-in, will it be available through a software/firmware update from DJI, or do I have to purchase a separate ID transmitter or broadcaster to attach to the drone? If I have to buy a separate remote ID device, what device would you recommend?

Also, as stated earlier, I plan to purchase a remote controller with a built-in display to fly my Phantom 4 Pro. I am doing this because I have had past issues with the DJI app not working properly on my Samsung Galaxy smartphones which have caused me to delay or cancel my flights. Plus, Google and Android no longer have the DJI app on their store. I plan to purchase a remote controller with a built-in display on eBay. I am aware that there are remotes for the newer Phantom 4 Pro V2 drone. Which DJI remote controller(s) with built-in display would I look for to use with my Phantom 4 Pro drone?

Thanks.

Reactions: sea6288
I believe the controller/display you seek is the GL300E.

But why not see if your current phone or tablet works smoothly with the drone before trying to source a controller with a built-in display - especially since you plan to upgrade to a newer drone before long? FYI - DJI's Go 4 app can be downloaded from the DJI website.

And for what it's worth, I pair an older Samsung Galaxy (S7) with my V1 and it works fine.

I have been out of the drone field for roughly four years due to commitments with graduate school and the pandemic. I have an older DJI Phantom 4 Pro that has been in storage during that time. I plan to get recertified for the FAA Part 107 license before the end of this year. I am aware that the Phantom 4 Pro has been discontinued. For the interim, I plan to fly my Phantom 4 Pro to refresh and rebuild my piloting skills until I decide on an appropriate drone to replace it. While reading my FAA Part 107 study guide, I learned that in 2020, while I was absent from flying, that the FAA will soon require both newer and older drones to have Remote IDs or other appropriate radio or transmitter IDs to allow them to be identified in flight. I am no expert on radio frequencies or radio equipment. Before I fly my Phantom 4 Pro, I intend to make sure that the drone has the mentioned FAA-required remote ID, be properly updated with its software and firmware, get a remote controller with a built-in display, and, if necessary, replace the lithium batteries and any other parts that need replacing. My question is does the older Phantom 4 Pro already have the FAA-required transmittable remote ID built-in, will it be available through a software/firmware update from DJI, or do I have to purchase a separate ID transmitter or broadcaster to attach to the drone? If I have to buy a separate remote ID device, what device would you recommend?

Also, as stated earlier, I plan to purchase a remote controller with a built-in display to fly my Phantom 4 Pro. I am doing this because I have had past issues with the DJI app not working properly on my Samsung Galaxy smartphones which have caused me to delay or cancel my flights. Plus, Google and Android no longer have the DJI app on their store. I plan to purchase a remote controller with a built-in display on eBay. I am aware that there are remotes for the newer Phantom 4 Pro V2 drone. Which DJI remote controller(s) with built-in display would I look for to use with my Phantom 4 Pro drone?

Thanks.
I have watched Pilot Institute with Greg and he and others have stated a separate module is required for the P4P. Wait before purchasing since right now it's about $300. It will be a while before the law is implemented, so the price will come down. If you are going to buy another drone soon, I wouldn't worry about the RID right now. As for connecting problems, I have them too. Very frustrating. Be sure and delete your present Go4 app before d/l the new one from DJI's site. Wish you luck with bringing the batteries back to life.

As said, all the apps are on DJI site now and remote ID a ways off. No need for 300E and add-on ID will be less expensive by then. Good luck with 107 and getting back in the air.

Reactions: GFields
Instead of spending the money on a controller with built-in display, you might want to consider the Crystal Sky monitor. That way if/when you go for another drone, you may be able to move the monitor to the new drone's controller. Just a thought. I have this monitor on the controller for my P4P V2 and am very pleased with it. I have the "U" version which is the ultra bright.

Reactions: bsartist and 3putts
A few things...

First, you don't need RID until 9/16/23. So don't rush. And as one said above, wait. There will be cheaper and lighter options coming.

Also, go ahead a take your recurrency now. Got to www.faasafety.gov, and take ALC-677, Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent. It's free and you don't have to study for it. It's more of a class than a test.

And as others have mentioned, there will likely be no update for the P4P series. But who knows, it may happen. Which is another good reason to wait until you buy a RID module.

Thanks.
hey man, my names Dillon and i have a remote with the built in display i would be willing to sell it to you, ot you can give me some money and trade me your original remote?

Pandenic never stopped me. In fact, I made more of my best photography and drone imaging during that time. Flying in remote areas and not near people was the safest activity.

There is no reason to upgrade the remote really. I find using a iPad mini 6 a better option for me. You get a bigger screen and it compacts down better then the screened version does. As for RID, it is still far enough away to not worry about it. There are going to be a lot of options that come available to attach to the drone as we get closer to September. Heck who knows maybe DJI could surprise us all and give us a firmware update and give us RID built into out P4P drones. Who knows what the future holds for us. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Just enjoy flying your drone and share with us your adventures with it.

OK then. Bump this thread up as its been 6 months since last post.
I now have the mavic 3 and its my main bird. And I have a P4P v2 that I kept for backup or in case I ever need to do mapping.
But, can I use it right now (June 12,2023) without an Remote ID module, or is it actually not legal to fly now until I have one??
I only want it for a backup for an upcoming job, but don't want to risk my P107 license by using it if illegal....

***Update*** Found the answer. Temporary as it is. Looks like I'm OK at least until Sept. 2023
"
Reference: "All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

I have watched Pilot Institute with Greg and he and others have stated a separate module is required for the P4P. Wait before purchasing since right now it's about $300. It will be a while before the law is implemented, so the price will come down. If you are going to buy another drone soon, I wouldn't worry about the RID right now. As for connecting problems, I have them too. Very frustrating. Be sure and delete your present Go4 app before d/l the new one from DJI's site. Wish you luck with bringing the batteries back to life.
DJI will have a remote ID upgrade for P4P v 2.0 by December, or so they say.

Nice! Welcome news as I still have a P4pv2
I was wondering if I was going to have to spend money for what is now my back up…

I hope they actually get it done in time, the thought of my fleet becoming obsolete or needing to add a module to them kind of sucks.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I have brought this up in the DJI forums and they have made it abundantly clear they will not have a firmware update for the P4P of any version. They have motioned me to get a third party module. They refuse to give suggestions. I have pointed out that the P4P has the hardware in it to handle RID. And their response to this is they know but there engineers at this time have decided not to do anything. I know it is coming from up above, wanting up to buy brand new drones. I did buy a brand new drone. In January I bought a Air2S and I love it. It does have RID in it so at least I don't have to worry about it anymore. There are times I need a mechanical shutter and I have to fly the P4P so I guess I'll have to purchase a RID module.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I have brought this up in the DJI forums and they have made it abundantly clear they will not have a firmware update for the P4P of any version. They have motioned me to get a third party module. They refuse to give suggestions. I have pointed out that the P4P has the hardware in it to handle RID. And their response to this is they know but there engineers at this time have decided not to do anything. I know it is coming from up above, wanting up to buy brand new drones. I did buy a brand new drone. In January I bought a Air2S and I love it. It does have RID in it so at least I don't have to worry about it anymore. There are times I need a mechanical shutter and I have to fly the P4P so I guess I'll have to purchase a RID module.
So how do you explain this - supposedly from DJI, and from their forum?

Hey Shawgod, I am in exact same situation. Have a P4P V2 and use it extensively for mapping work, then I also have an Air 2S. I was wondering what RID Module you went with and how much was it? Thanks!

Hey Shawgod, I am in exact same situation. Have a P4P V2 and use it extensively for mapping work, then I also have an Air 2S. I was wondering what RID Module you went with and how much was it? Thanks!
I haven’t gone with anything yet. I am just going to fly my Air2S until I can find a great option. Your P4P V2 by the end of the year will have an update from DJI that will enable RID on your drone. I have a ver 1, so this doesn’t help me.

With the way the FAA has structured things, I am grounded even now, on my P4P v2 because their system wont allow me to RENEW my registration without a RID... and it isn't even Sept 15th yet!
Messed up.

Reactions: MTO
After numerous attempts to get someone to explain why the dronezone site would not allow a still-legal UAV to be renewed in registration, I finally received an answer.
You can. It is just hidden. What a mess. You have to displace reality and go down a rabit hole that no thinking person would figure out without guidance.

The FAA has its place, and they certainly have done a good job with many compliocated things over technology changes through the years. But the system works better when the pilots, who fly and use the system, interact and hold them accountable.

I hope others will notify their elected officials about this sort of thing. A system has to work well for the public to trust it, and when I say "work well" I do not mean simply reducing the number of UAV's legally in the airspace.

My 2 cents.

OK then. Bump this thread up as its been 6 months since last post.
I now have the mavic 3 and its my main bird. And I have a P4P v2 that I kept for backup or in case I ever need to do mapping.
But, can I use it right now (June 12,2023) without an Remote ID module, or is it actually not legal to fly now until I have one??
I only want it for a backup for an upcoming job, but don't want to risk my P107 license by using it if illegal....

***Update*** Found the answer. Temporary as it is. Looks like I'm OK at least until Sept. 2023
"
Reference: "All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."
Dronetag has been advertising for over a year. Ordered one 4 months ago ($219); took two months to arrive. They are in the Czech Republic. Mine works perfectly. September 16 now is just another date on the calendar. 😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers