Taking the next step ( mods galore ) update 3/25/15!

You did not know my name was Jack?
( of all trades ) lol.
Turned out nice, doing another one tomorrow! Back breaking though!

Your friend,
J Dot

Ive decided,
To do the slow yaw mod to my spare tx, while i await arrival of upgraded tx.
Going to fly now, ive also instaLed the gps booster, added 2-3 sats more than usual, im going to attempt to double up booster inserts just to see if any difference in sats from 1 and 2 inserts? Just for fun, will keep you informed!

Peace!

Ive decided,
Going to fly now, ive also instaLed the gps booster, added 2-3 sats more than usual, im going to attempt to double up booster inserts just to see if any difference in sats from 1 and 2 inserts? Just for fun, will keep you informed!

Peace!
Hey J Dot....have you used simplebgc with the gimbal...or do you know if it will work? Thanks

Ive decided,

Peace!
I did try and ended up putting this one
FullSizeRender2.jpg

Over this
Tin Foil.jpg

And even tried with the copper one I got of e bay but in Mine I ended up with the tinfoil and the booster one for my best results .
Just thought I would share . ;) I guess every bird likes something different and ya don't know till ya try !!:cool:

True,
I bought the same booster, but something happened to it in shipping? So he resent it ( 2 included for my trouble ) but not necessary, anyhow I picked up 2-3 extra sats with it, I was thinking since he sent 2 ( what would happen with BOTH installed? Will keep you informed! ( just for fun ) had to you know just had to! Can't hurt! Or can it? Resolution to follow!

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
True,
I bought the same booster, but something happened to it in shipping? So he resent it ( 2 included for my trouble ) but not necessary, anyhow I picked up 2-3 extra sats with it, I was thinking since he sent 2 ( what would happen with BOTH installed? Will keep you informed! ( just for fun ) had to you know just had to! Can't hurt! Or can it? Resolution to follow!

J Dot
Hey ya don't know till ya try and I see we both like doing that !! Will be our downfall :)
Did I say downfall :( ;)

Easy
Just like the Phoenix, you Dirk, will rise up from your ashes, and be reborn into a Bigger, BETTER, baddest *** bird EVER.

I can't wait!

Till then no talk about downfalls, lol
Mine is going well, EXCEPT:
I have a weird WOBBLE going on when I hover? Pissin me off! I've tried:
Basic IMU cal
Advanced IMU cal
Compass cal
Tx cal ( RC assist )
Tx cal ( PC assist )
New props

Wth?
Used to be stable, luckily my new gimbal compensates, but bird looks drunk, or like when you spin a coin on a table, and right before it falls flat, it wobbles around a few times, that is the wobble! I tell everyone it is a drunken samurai flying dragon technique! But they don't believe me? Don't know what to do now?
Other than that, battery 1 is gone, flies about 1 minute then low battery auto land ( still 4 bars on battery ) I cleaned terminals ( no avail ) battery 2 works perfectly, I ordered 2 new, still waiting, I also ordered another gimbal, in case I crash this one, lol, after seeing your pics, figure I'll start setting myself up with a crash kit ( lol )
That way if/when I do come down, I'll be prepared to rebuild!

Your friend
J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Easy
Just like the Phoenix, you Dirk, will rise up from your ashes, and be reborn into a Bigger, BETTER, baddest *** bird EVER.

I can't wait!

Till then no talk about downfalls, lol
Mine is going well, EXCEPT:
I have a weird WOBBLE going on when I hover? Pissin me off! I've tried:
Basic IMU cal
Advanced IMU cal
Compass cal
Tx cal ( RC assist )
Tx cal ( PC assist )
New props

Wth?
Used to be stable, luckily my new gimbal compensates, but bird looks drunk, or like when you spin a coin on a table, and right before it falls flat, it wobbles around a few times, that is the wobble! I tell everyone it is a drunken samurai flying dragon technique! But they don't believe me? Don't know what to do now?
Other than that, battery 1 is gone, flies about 1 minute then low battery auto land ( still 4 bars on battery ) I cleaned terminals ( no avail ) battery 2 works perfectly, I ordered 2 new, still waiting, I also ordered another gimbal, in case I crash this one, lol, after seeing your pics, figure I'll start setting myself up with a crash kit ( lol )
That way if/when I do come down, I'll be prepared to rebuild!

Your friend
J Dot
Not sure if you know this, but with battery removed you can press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds and it will basically show you if you have any bad cells......you want all 4 bars lit up....

J Dot,

I am new to the forum, but am enjoying all the posts a lot.

I liked your China Gimbal upgrade so much, I went out and bought the same from the same seller on EBay. It arrived yesterday, and of course I hade to install it immediately. It was as easy as you said it would be. However; because of heavy fog here in the Black Hills I had to wait till today to actually fly.

I have one issue and was wondering if you seen the same, if so how would you fix it: When the bird banks or accelerates hard, the gimbal tries really hard to keep up. Then, when the bird levels back out, the gimbal "resets" its position and slowly creeps down, or up, depending the direction I flew off in. Then the camera is pointing up or down until I change the pitch via the app. I watched the position in the app not keeping up, and then resetting the last position.

I did change the gimbal limits to -250 and 900 (or the other way around). Is there any other adjustments you recommend?

Any help is appreciated.

J Dot,

I am new to the forum, but am enjoying all the posts a lot.

I liked your China Gimbal upgrade so much, I went out and bought the same from the same seller on EBay. It arrived yesterday, and of course I hade to install it immediately. It was as easy as you said it would be. However; because of heavy fog here in the Black Hills I had to wait till today to actually fly.

I have one issue and was wondering if you seen the same, if so how would you fix it: When the bird banks or accelerates hard, the gimbal tries really hard to keep up. Then, when the bird levels back out, the gimbal "resets" its position and slowly creeps down, or up, depending the direction I flew off in. Then the camera is pointing up or down until I change the pitch via the app. I watched the position in the app not keeping up, and then resetting the last position.

I did change the gimbal limits to -250 and 900 (or the other way around). Is there any other adjustments you recommend?

Any help is appreciated.

Hello,
First off WELCOME to this wonderful place, nice to have you with us!

I'm not 100% sure I understand you fully. But key word being reset! My first question to you is:
1) does the gimbal move quickly ( any direction ) or does it move slowly?
( take props off p2v , power on bird, no need to power radio or extender , let gimbal boot up, manually move bird around, see if gimbal tracks right, smoothly and quickly )?
My second question ( and possible answer ) is,

Due to gimbals VERY low profile design ( to use stock legs ) camera suffers, I'll explain, like above, while manually moving phantom, turn phantom TOO FAR, to right of phantom ( holding phantom in front of you with it facing you, lower your left arm, and raise your right arm , causing phantom to bank right ) if you go too far, the tabs on top of camera egg, hits bottom of gimbal bracket, causing it to reset to liftoff setting, or level ) try that out and see if that is what you are experiencing, or is it another issue all together?
I see it a lot when I'm fun flying ( fast moves ) it jumps down, then tries to level back out, but I still have to raise or lower a bit to get it back right in the app. I believe this is happening to you, but I will look at all my setting again, and let you know, could just be a gain setting? Also make sure all wires are COMPLETELY PLUGGED IN, and you camera and gimbal wires are secured, but just loose enought to let gimbal move freely in all dirrections, if they are too tight, could cause the same effect. Too loose can cause unwanted off balance issues or entanglement in flight. One of my anti-jello balls tore ( top to bottom ) did not notice it, but that simple defect caused my phantom to WOBBLE in a hover, looked like a drunk stumbling around the sky, lol,
But the gimbal kept the shot smooth and level, it was crazy, cause the bird was wobbling pretty violently, ole gimbal hung in there, fixed the ball, smooth sailing!

Let me know, and I'll do the same!

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

see it a lot when I'm fun flying ( fast moves ) it jumps down, then tries to level back out, but I still have to raise or lower a bit to get it back right in the app. I believe this is happening to you, but I will look at all my setting again, and let you know, could just be a gain setting?

Sorry for my not so great description. But this describes the situation the most...

I watched the gimbal position in the app on the screen, and it moves around, but not fast enough. And then it seems to be off when it centers out. Only up and down, not lateral.

Let me try to post this video:

Hope this works. And thanks for looking into this.

Hey Intruder101,
That might be a defective gimbal? That is weird!

Here is a short video I shot with mine out of the box: ( slow yaw video, but gimbal instaled for the test flight )

Only setting were limit settings, the -250/900 gimmick. Other than that it is out of box ( and this video was shot with the wobbling going on ) you can see how smooth it is, even with craft wobbling around.

I would contact seller, see if they will send a new one? Sounds like the bottom board is not working correctly,
That is just too weird!

Let me know?
J Dot

Yeah, figured it out...:D

I overlooked step 6 in the all infamous "Installation instructions for use" :eek:

It reads "Tilt sensitivity must be set to 0" and it has a rather bad picture of the NAZA M gimbal setup in the RC assistant...:p

The default in my software was at 30 for bith, so I set the pitch and roll to 0, and voila, it worked, really amazing :). I only had a few minutes left in either battery, and it is already dark outside, so I have a few minutes of footage outside the office window looking in. It is SMOOOOOTH, let me tell you. All the frustration of the last 24 hours gone in a blink.

Thank you for recommending this gimbal, and more importantly, racking your brain to try to figure another "pilot's" problem out.

THANK YOU!

More footage to follow in the next few days.

Last edited:
I got this gimbal on J Dot's recommendation. It can from Hong Kong in 7 days and the installation was a breeze. Since I installed it the aircraft is shaking like crazy as soon as I launch it. The camera seems steady but I'm afraid to fly with the crazy wobble the way it is now.

Intruder talked about adjusting the tilt sensitivity in the RC assistant software but I can't find it anywhere. I'm using an upgraded version of the Tx with the thumb wheel.

I got this gimbal on J Dot's recommendation. It can from Hong Kong in 7 days and the installation was a breeze. Since I installed it the aircraft is shaking like crazy as soon as I launch it. The camera seems steady but I'm afraid to fly with the crazy wobble the way it is now.

Intruder talked about adjusting the tilt sensitivity in the RC assistant software but I can't find it anywhere. I'm using an upgraded version of the Tx with the thumb wheel.
This what ya looking for ?
Speed.jpg

Well I'm not sure what you see on a mac bro. That's all I get to set anything on mine,maybe Intruder will see this and beable to help you more !
I did see where he and J Dot were having some issue's and fixed them but just not sure where I saw it .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik