tablet and size

jtm

Reaction score
guys.. any recommendations on tablet and size? I'm currently using my Samsung s6 but alas it is a little small.. looking at the samsung s2 either 8" or 9.7"...... is 9.7" a little big though? I'm liking the 8" but would like to hear what everyone else's setup is... do share.

I'm using a 7 inch and it works well. Not to heavy either. Just ordered a 8 for my personal use may give it a try. But I don't like the top heavy weight on the RC too much as I don't care for the neck straps. So far with the litchi app which give more viewing area and 7 inch , it does good.

I'm using an iPad Mini 2 (7.9" and 0.75 lb). I think it's the perfect combination of size and weight.

I use a dedicated Air 2. 0.96 lb (437 g), 9.7" screen. It's more secure with the Inspire mount and not at all too big. I also love the anti reflective screen so never use a sunshade.

Reactions: JoBe
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S with the 10.5" display. Nice and big with a bright screen. No lag or hang up problems.

I use a dedicated Air 2. 0.96 lb (437 g), 9.7" screen. It's more secure with the Inspire mount and not at all too big. I also love the anti reflective screen so never use a sunshade.
I agree about the Inspire mount and that 9.7" would not be at all too big.

I use an air 2 and love the size. I also use the Inspire mount. Although the mount is great, you do have to keep up with the tilting screw and tighten it as needed. But it's a stable mount for the size of the air 2. I think that's the biggest size the mount will take though. The thing I have noticed is that to view the iPad you need to angle it up. The lower you have the rc either holding it or on a neck strap, the more you have to angle it. This can possibly have a negative effect getting too close to the top of the antennas. I have once angled it during flight and the back of the iPad touched the top of the antennas and the video feed definitely got jumpy until I moved the tablet away again. I think with a slightly smaller tablet and certainly a phone, this isn't an issue. But the air 2 definitely puts a roof over the antennas depending on the angle and you have to be a little mindful of that. I have my rc pretty high on my neck strap. I adjusted it shorter so it's higher. I prefer that for my bad neck. It also helps keep the antennas in a good position and less of an angle on the iPad.

Reactions: lotusteve
@shockwave199,
Have a look at this @dji informative video, for great info on your radio controller antenna best practice.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hope this was helpful to you. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Thanks, yes I have watched that. I don't think the tablet is blocking signal but depending on the angle you put the tablet at, it can get too close to them and I think that can possibly play a role in interference. I also fly in airplane mode.

Just be conscious of where you are in the air, in relation to your radio controller. I also use the iPad Air 2 Cellular. It's been an incredible experience since day one. Even while still using the original wobbly device holder. Having installed the Inspire 1 holder, just made it all the more complete. Couldn't be more satisfied, than this. ;-)

RedHotPoker

+1 for the Air 2. I started with the Galaxy S5. It worked but the screen was too small. I then went to the Galaxy Tab 10". It was too slow to keep up. I ended up with the Air 2 and I'm still trying to find something wrong with it. I didn't know about the Inspire holder so I got the aluminum mount from Taco-RC and it works great. Now I'm looking into a Headplay unit.

Finding anything wrong here, is like looking for fallen tears in the river..
Keep searching, we're in an earthquake free zone now.
As there isn't any fault lines. ;-) & aren't going to be any either. Hehe

RedHotPoker

+1 for the Air 2. I started with the Galaxy S5. It worked but the screen was too small. I then went to the Galaxy Tab 10". It was too slow to keep up. I ended up with the Air 2 and I'm still trying to find something wrong with it. I didn't know about the Inspire holder so I got the aluminum mount from Taco-RC and it works great. Now I'm looking into a Headplay unit.
The Headplay is a super way to watch the video, it is clear as a bell and has all the telemetry

The Headplay is a super way to watch the video, it is clear as a bell and has all the telemetry
I agree, love the Headplay goggles. However if you wear progressive or bi-focal glasses you may have "up-close" focus issues with your prescription. I had to glue some 3.0 scuba diving bifocal lenses ($29) on the inside of some 3.0 reader glasses ($10) to magnify things adequately to see things in focus, being so close to the screen. They include two fresnel lens to try, but it's not enough. Older people with limited "up-close" focus capability may need to jury-rig this kind of DIY prescription.

I agree, love the Headplay goggles. However if you wear glasses you may have "up-close" focus issues with your prescription. I had to glue some 3.0 scuba diving bifocal lenses ($29) on the inside of some 3.0 reader glasses ($10) to magnify things adequately to see the screen in focus, being so close to the screen. They include two fresnel lens to try, but it's not enough. Older people with limited "up-close" focus capability may need to jury-rig this kind of DIY prescription.
I used a pair of drugstore readers, they were narrow enough to fit inside the opening.. They worked great!!

I used a pair of drugstore readers, they were narrow enough to fit inside the opening.. They worked great!!
Good point, if you need some to buy readers for this, buy the most narrow pair you can find to fit the goggle better. Since 3.0 is the strongest reader you can buy, if that isn't enough to put things in focus, that's when you need to get creative with the scuba diving lenses, to add more magnification to the reader..

My Nexus 9 is a perfect size. Gorgeous smooth picture, can easily record the screen etc. I have an old Nexus 10 and it only fits in the holder with a little printed adapter - a little big, plus it can't really quite keep up. I've flown with phones (5" and 6" Samsungs) and they are too small for me now.

With pretty much any tablet and P3A or P3P you are probably going to want to upgrade the holder with either the Inspire 1 version like I did ($30 http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Inspire-Mobile-Device-Holder/dp/B00V8QXO6W) or a knock-off (here's one and there are others: Infinity Hobby)

See HOW TO: Fix unstable tablet mount | DJI Phantom Forum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic