My Sunday office...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

I like shooting on the weekends. Why? Because some businesses close on the weekend. I don't like launching from private property like business parking lots. If I launch from private property 5% of the time, that's a lot. But sometimes it's really hard to find a good, PUBLIC launch point. The cloudy day was perfect for mapping.

Since doing LiDAR and an M300 RTK, I've been using UgCS. I have to say it's good software. I've been impressed with it.

For smaller Photogrammetry jobs I've been using my P4P and MapPilot. For grins I've been testing UgCS with my P4P and my Mavic Pro. I've been liking it . So when a small, 20 acre Photogrammetry job came up, I thought this might be a good time to try out UgCS with my P4P. The caveat is that I have a little bit more to set up, but the control, the features and the telemetry are worth the extra effort.

What a great Sunday!

Here's the photo of the ol' Mini Cooper with all my junk set up. My telescoping RC stand has been, by far, one of my better inventions, and something I still use on every mapping job.
DSC08223.JPG

Here's a better photo of the setup inside the Mini. As you can see, I'm using both an iPad AND a Windows Tablet. Both net completely different sets of data and control.
DSC08224.JPG

If you look closely, you can see a white, round container. This is my Local Area Network.
DSC08225.JPG

Here's a better photo of my homemade, mobile LAN. Yes, that's an old P4P battery with over 90 flights on it. It's too old to fly anymore, but works great for my network!
DSC08199.JPG

We had tried using my business partner's smart phone as a hotspot, but this proved to be sketchy and unreliable, especially if a call came in. The best part of my mobile LAN is it is robust, reliable and inherently secure because it's not connected to the Internet (no WAN). In addition, it's not connected to that security nightmare you guys call "smart phones." HA!

And while my flip phone DOES have hotspot capabilities, I have a very cheap (but reliable) 2GB data plan (grandfathered in). I don't want to eat that up when I have this free, mobile LAN I put together with all spare parts (have about a dozen wireless routers in a drawer in my computer room at my house).

Discuss.

At any rate, it was a good day.

D

Last edited:
All very impressive from a hobbyist's point of view. But what's with the telescoping RC stand? You might get an improved signal, but why does signal strength matter with pre-programmed flight?

All very impressive from a hobbyist's point of view. But what's with the telescoping RC stand? You might get an improved signal, but why does signal strength matter with pre-programmed flight?
Not all waypoint flights are "connectionless." Depending on what the drone is doing, some flights receive instruction from the iPad. Also, most DJI drones are limited to 99 waypoints. So if we exceed that number, the iPad becomes the controller. All that said...

It's always good to receive telemetry and video feed. While video feed isn't really necessary for mapping, for video gigs, video feed is absolutely necessary. Plus, the less time I spend "in the dark," the better. I'm sure most would agree.

The photo is of a mapping job I did Sunday.

D

Reactions: Pygar70
If you are not using a "Live" internet connection, just connecting via wifi without internet are you caching maps prior to going on location, or how are you getting background map info while onsite? With a recent firmware disaster, DJI has made it imposible to cache maps prior to a flight that is done in an area without internet.

If you are not using a "Live" internet connection, just connecting via wifi without internet are you caching maps prior to going on location
Correct. The Windows version of UgCS actually allows the user to select a parcel of land and download that parcel as a map file, which can be used weeks, months or years later.

iPads aren't so lucky. I usually cache the iPad map the night before, but have experienced some persistence with maps that stay cached for a few days or even a week.

, or how are you getting background map info while onsite?
Read above.

With a recent firmware disaster, DJI has made it imposible to cache maps prior to a flight that is done in an area without internet.
The unfortunate reality is that the whole world is going in this direction. Microsoft and Apple are the worst offenders. It is now assumed that every human is connected to the Internet 24/7. And for most humans in first-world nations, that is true. The unfortunate reality is that I am NOT one of those humans. My work takes me out beyond Internet and often beyond cell service. And I own a flip phone.

The good news is that developers always install "back doors" that allow us to regain possession of our devices and use them how we see fit. The bad news is that the trip down this road isn't for the faint of heart. Everything I own is hacked. I mean EVERYTHING. My drones. My iPads. My computers. Even my GD CAR is hacked. It's insane. For the record, my flip phone is not hacked, because it doesn't have to be. No GPS hardware. No "apps."

An anecdote...rant really....

I own a small computer repair business. I got my first Windows 11 machine in my office last week. The client, who is a friend of mine, and very computer illiterate, wanted me to set up his computer for him. It was still sealed in the box. Now I have a standard set of hacks I've been using for Windows-10 for years to make these machines run the way I want them to run - dare I say, as they SHOULD run. So I was wondering to myself how far I would get into this Win-11 setup before I was going to have to hack it.

I powered up the computer and began the "Out Of Box Experience," which is the initial set up. County = USA. Keyboard = English. Made it that far. Next window; "Sign in with your Microsoft account." NOPE. Ain't gonna happen. I spent the next 30 minutes or so figuring out the workaround. I shouldn't have to hack this. It should be a user's CHOICE to create a LOCAL account on the machine, and not REQUIRE a Microsoft account for the privilege of owning a computer!!!

My buddy now has his computer. It's setup with a LOCAL account (as it should be). Other than Operating System updates, Microsoft is completely blocked out of this machine.

WE own our computers. NOT Microsoft. WE own our iPads. NOT Apple. And WE own our drones. NOT DJI. We PURCHASED them. We're not RENTING them. When we're inherently connected to "servers," we become their slaves. I know that that sounds paranoid, but it's not. It's reality.

I hack everything. Ergo, I own and control all my own stuff. It's very unfortunate that the world has gone in this direction. But as Internet becomes more available, it's only getting worse.

The good news is that, by the time this stuff is completely unhackable, I'll probably be dead or too old to care.

D

Last edited:
From what I understand, what DJI has done is removed Mapbox which allows map caching from the background map options leaving only Amap, which due to copywright issues does not allow caching maps. Therefore the DJI P4Pro RTK no longer allows map caching so there are no maps available without internet.

This is a critical feature to us, doing road building in undeveloped areas, and one of the reasons that we went with the DJI platform. The P4Pro RTK uses a controller with built in Android tablet with no way to add outside software that I am aware of. DJI's suggested solution of to pre-plan the mission and fly without a map which is sketchy at best.

From what I understand, what DJI has done is removed Mapbox which allows map caching from the background map options leaving only Amap, which due to copywright issues does not allow caching maps. Therefore the DJI P4Pro RTK no longer allows map caching so there are no maps available without internet.
This is what I hate about the screen being married to the remote controller. The good news is that you still may be able to connect an external iPad to your remote and cache the map there. I have an M300 RTK and that's exactly what I do.

This is a critical feature to us, doing road building in undeveloped areas,
Yep. 95% of what I do is in undeveloped areas.

and one of the reasons that we went with the DJI platform. The P4Pro RTK uses a controller with built in Android tablet with no way to add outside software that I am aware of.
I don't think this is correct. My M300 RTK controller essentially runs Android and has WiFi-ability. So it can connect to the Internet and download apps like any other Android tablet. My M300 came pre-loaded with third-party software, so I haven't actually done the process myself. But I assume it's pretty straight forward. The best part is that there is a Windows version of the software I use. So I set up a LAN (which is powered with an old P4P battery) and wirelessly connect the PC to the M300's remote control (photos in the OP).

There are a lot of options out there. I would simply try connecting an iPad to your P4P's remote control and see what happens. You might be surprised. Set up a LAN (most use their phone as a hotspot) and there may be some Windows/Android options out there in a wireless network.

DJI's suggested solution of to pre-plan the mission and fly without a map which is sketchy at best.
While I certainly CAN fly without a map, I absolutely do not. I LIKE knowing when/if I'm over traffic or a parking lot or a building or gully or whatever. Maps are always cached.

Good luck!

D

This is what I hate about the screen being married to the remote controller. The good news is that you still may be able to connect an external iPad to your remote and cache the map there. I have an M300 RTK and that's exactly what I do.

Yep. 95% of what I do is in undeveloped areas.

I don't think this is correct. My M300 RTK controller essentially runs Android and has WiFi-ability. So it can connect to the Internet and download apps like any other Android tablet. My M300 came pre-loaded with third-party software, so I haven't actually done the process myself. But I assume it's pretty straight forward. The best part is that there is a Windows version of the software I use. So I set up a LAN (which is powered with an old P4P battery) and wirelessly connect the PC to the M300's remote control (photos in the OP).

There are a lot of options out there. I would simply try connecting an iPad to your P4P's remote control and see what happens. You might be surprised. Set up a LAN (most use their phone as a hotspot) and there may be some Windows/Android options out there in a wireless network.

While I certainly CAN fly without a map, I absolutely do not. I LIKE knowing when/if I'm over traffic or a parking lot or a building or gully or whatever. Maps are always cached.

Good luck!

D
Great write up as always, interesting and informative helps myself and others.
Thanks,
Ed

Reactions: Harleydude
Hey doods!

I like shooting on the weekends. Why? Because some businesses close on the weekend. I don't like launching from private property like business parking lots. If I launch from private property 5% of the time, that's a lot. But sometimes it's really hard to find a good, PUBLIC launch point. The cloudy day was perfect for mapping.

Since doing LiDAR and an M300 RTK, I've been using UgCS. I have to say it's good software. I've been impressed with it.

For smaller Photogrammetry jobs I've been using my P4P and MapPilot. For grins I've been testing UgCS with my P4P and my Mavic Pro. I've been liking it . So when a small, 20 acre Photogrammetry job came up, I thought this might be a good time to try out UgCS with my P4P. The caveat is that I have a little bit more to set up, but the control, the features and the telemetry are worth the extra effort.

What a great Sunday!

Here's the photo of the ol' Mini Cooper with all my junk set up. My telescoping RC stand has been, by far, one of my better inventions, and something I still use on every mapping job.
View attachment 124822

Here's a better photo of the setup inside the Mini. As you can see, I'm using both an iPad AND a Windows Tablet. Both net completely different sets of data and control.
View attachment 124823

If you look closely, you can see a white, round container. This is my Local Area Network.
View attachment 124824

Here's a better photo of my homemade, mobile LAN. Yes, that's an old P4P battery with over 90 flights on it. It's too old to fly anymore, but works great for my network!
View attachment 124825

We had tried using my business partner's smart phone as a hotspot, but this proved to be sketchy and unreliable, especially if a call came in. The best part of my mobile LAN is it is robust, reliable and inherently secure because it's not connected to the Internet (no WAN). In addition, it's not connected to that security nightmare you guys call "smart phones." HA!

And while my flip phone DOES have hotspot capabilities, I have a very cheap (but reliable) 2GB data plan (grandfathered in). I don't want to eat that up when I have this free, mobile LAN I put together with all spare parts (have about a dozen wireless routers in a drawer in my computer room at my house).

Discuss.

At any rate, it was a good day.

D
I love your set up and how you've just MacGyver'd many of the things you need. Thanks for sharing.
That white round container looks to be an old wafer container from a semiconductor wafer fab.

Reactions: Harleydude
I love your set up and how you've just MacGyver'd many of the things you need. Thanks for sharing.
That white round container looks to be an old wafer container from a semiconductor wafer fab.
Yessir. Picked clean from the Intel trash can roughly 2 decades ago. Good eye!

D

Reactions: Oso

This is a critical feature to us, doing road building in undeveloped areas, and one of the reasons that we went with the DJI platform. The P4Pro RTK uses a controller with built in Android tablet with no way to add outside software that I am aware of. DJI's suggested solution of to pre-plan the mission and fly without a map which is sketchy at best.
Hey jvhooser:

I misspoke here:
1677391232467.png

I actually connect the M300 RTK to a Windows computer via a wireless network (tablet, laptop, desktop, or any combination of the three), and get telemetry data that way. However, I BELIEVE that you CAN connect an iPad to your rig and get telemetry data AND an image. But to be clear, I haven't tried it with the P4P RTK, as I don't own one. I DO, however, connect an iPad to my P4P.

You should TRY connecting an iPad to your P4P RTK rig and see if you do get telemetry data and image data. I'd be curious to know if it works.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20