Stripped screw heads

Reaction score
Guys I have a issue

I went to remove the top of my phantom to check the esc version and stripped the Phillips screw heads(oops)

I want to make sure I don't have the risky escs before I take it up to 3-400 feet so I don't have to worry about it failing in flight

It is fun to fly it btw just want to take the risk of a esc failing prematurely

I did the same thing the first time I opened my shell (because I used the wrong screwdriver) :(

I first tried to use this to extract the damaged screw:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4 ... OYUUIYWWX7

The screw is so small that the screw extractor would not bite it. So, I don't recommend you try that.

I was able to remove the stripped screw by drilling through the top of the screw -- which broke the head of the screw off. If you do this, you want to use a drill bit that is the size of the screw base (not the head of the screw). That way, when you drill through the head of the screw, you won't hit any of the plastic shell beneath it. Drill very slowly and carefully.

Important: Make sure you cover the motor -- else shards of metal will get inside of the motor and stick to the magnets. You could wrap a plastic bag around the motor and tape the top of the bag to the shell arm.

Lastly, you'll need to buy a 00 Phillips screwdriver (if you don't have one) and replacement screws (none that size come with the Phantom).

i didn't want to admit it but i also used the wrong screwdriver (opps)

i found the right size one after i had stripped a couple of the screws (doh)

i will cover the motor before i do anything with the screw(last thing i want is metal shards to ruin the motors)

would it harm anything if i left them out after i got them out???

general01 said:
would it harm anything if i left them out after i got them out???
Probably not, but I wouldn't chance it. I waited until I got my replacement screws before flying.

Ok I managed to get one free and give me just enough room to check which version esc I have(it was one that I didn't strip the head thank goodness)

So for now I am good but will buy a replacement set of screws as I don't want to mess around with them when it comes time to replace a motor later on(if I don't upgrade sooner)

Thanks for the help now to make sure I can fly it without worry(it sure is a blast to fly)

Always remove the small philips screws first, and use a screwdriver that fits well. Then remove the hex screws.

CityZen said:
Always remove the small philips screws first, and use a screwdriver that fits well. Then remove the hex screws.

I did in that order but messed up the heads on a couple of them in the process(mainly because I used the wrong size by mistake)

I will be replacing the screws so I won't have this happen(had to use force to remove the screws that I had stripped the heads on which was not fun)

Thanks for the help guys

What a coincidence !
I had the same problem with a malformed screw (they're Phillips P00 BTW...) the other day on my V2+

As I couldn't get the screwdriver tip into the screw I seemed to have little choice but to grind the screw head off.
But..they're small buggers !
I didn't have anything on hand suitable as my tungsten carbide burrs were too big.
So...off to eBay !
Found this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151194296628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Now, I used the one on the far left of the image and cut a slot into the screw head so I could use a small flatblade to unscrew it.
Piece of cake, but you will need a very steady hand.
Best $10 ever spent and invaluable for drones. Could also slot the hex screws but would require more finesse.
Didn't touch the surrounding plastic case at all.

Been meaning to bring one of the screws to a hardware store to see if I can get better flat head replacements. The last thing I'd want to do is purchase the same garbage screws from DJI.

MapMaker53 said:
The last thing I'd want to do is purchase the same garbage screws from DJI.
I haven't compared the quality, but the DJI screws are working just fine for me after I started using the proper tools :D

Even with the 00 Philips, they easily strip if you don't press down hard when you turn them. The screw bite is very shallow and the screw metal is very soft. I'd rather use different screws.

Ok I think I will switch my screws to something that isn't so soft(I did have a time getting them out)

If I plan on upgrading the motors at a later time I don't want to go through this again(regardless what screw it is)

I may remove one and go to my local hardware store and see if they can match up a screw that like it but with a different driver head(Allen head)

morph000 said:
What a coincidence !
I had the same problem with a malformed screw (they're Phillips P00 BTW...) the other day on my V2+

As I couldn't get the screwdriver tip into the screw I seemed to have little choice but to grind the screw head off.
I didn't have anything on hand suitable as my tungsten carbide burrs were too big.
So...off to eBay !
Found this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151194296628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Now, I used the one on the far left of the image and cut a slot into the screw head so I could use a small flatblade to unscrew it.
Best $10 ever spent and invaluable for drones. Could also slot the hex screws but would require more finesse.

Interesting
I have been in hobby rc(land vehicles) for years and this is my first time stripping out a screw head due to a inspection

Even with the correct tools, Philips head screws strip easily. I went to the hardware store and bought flathead screws of the same size/thread count. They were a tiny bit too long so I cut them down. Since replacing them I never had an issue with them stripping.

:D
I use a small dremel cut-off wheel and make those screws - instead of plus.

Mopar Bob said:
Even with the correct tools, Philips head screws strip easily. I went to the hardware store and bought flathead screws of the same size/thread count. They were a tiny bit too long so I cut them down. Since replacing them I never had an issue with them stripping.

Will do soon on both phantoms as I plan on upgrading the motors on my p2v(non plus) soon and making it easier to work on it will be easier

What a coincidence !

So...off to eBay !
Found this:
The eBay link is dead now. What kind of tool did you use? I’m having a very similar issue 9 years later

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31