Stress Cracks

Can you post some detailed photos of the damage?

It says that I need a valid forum ID before I can post the photo
While you are figuring out how to post a photo, have a read through these 10 dozen or so threads about stress cracks to get some ideas of what others have done. They may help you decide if you prefer to fix the cracks or to just replace the shell. Good luck! :)

I have , as everyone else here also have, stress cracks. It doesn't matter too much. Simply fly safely and don't care about them.

I have , as everyone else here also have, stress cracks. It doesn't matter too much. Simply fly safely and don't care about them.
Watch stress cracks closely I would be concerned with them its not if anything will happen its when

Reactions: Shoot4fun
My phantom has stress cracks under one of the motors. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I have a couple Phantoms. My Phantom 3 Pro has had stress cracks for over a year now and I fly it regularly haven't had any issues with it. There's a couple ways you could fix this. I'm not saying this is how you have to do it but this is just what I done. First I bought some covers for it. They sell machined aluminum covers that go on like the bottom the replaced with the factory screws underneath the plastic. Just recently I took those off and I used plastic epoxy( made by jb- weld) on all four arms underneath where the motors are and basically it put a protective layer of plastic coating and it seems to work Flawless and I have absolutely no issues. When I get home later I'll try to upload some pictures. Obviously if the cracks get too bad you may want to think about getting the new plastic for your drone top and bottom. My P3 Pro is my backup drone but like I said I fly it a lot and it's no big deal. Unless like I said they're really really bad.

Well, good luck with that!
Right.. lol your motor can fall/break out of the shell in mid flight if your cracks are bad enough right?? Thats why im replacing my shell... my camera cost 200. Im not risking it. New shell is in the mail. I just did a yaw arm replacement. you think i can do the shell replacement by myself? Not worth the risk of losing my bird. Anybody use or have the metal motor mount plates that attach onto the shell on the bottom to help with stress cracks. I was gonna order some. But wasnt sure about them. Plus its added weight though not much.

Reactions: dronesky
The P3 shell is a relatively simple replacement. I've had mine apart before to repair crash damage. Didn't replace the shell, but I could have if needed. The P4 is a different monster all together I think... I haven't had my P4 apart, but there are several members who have, I'm sure. I'm also very sure there are a buttload of youtube videos on it. As long as you're very cautious/meticulous, I'd say it's doable. Someone put them together once...

The P3 shell is a relatively simple replacement. I've had mine apart before to repair crash damage. Didn't replace the shell, but I could have if needed. The P4 is a different monster all together I think... I haven't had my P4 apart, but there are several members who have, I'm sure. I'm also very sure there are a buttload of youtube videos on it. As long as you're very cautious/meticulous, I'd say it's doable. Someone put them together once...
Awesome yeah ive had quite a few smaller ones apart and have some build experience with soldering skills so I think ill be alright if intake my time like you said. Thanks for the support. And now the question is to paint the shell before i put it on?? I have a good flat black thats chip resistant. Uv fade resistant and industrial strength. Ive ised it on my grill and bumber for my truck.. turned out amazing. And never a rock chip. The added weight of a couple coats shouldn't bother the bird to much I wouldn't think. Im very ocd so it will hopefully come out looking pretty decent. Or should I go with the flat olive green or miltary green? Choices

Some ppl need to completely read posts before making sarcastic comments. Then again some ppl know it all.?. Btw, in my post I stated that I used the metal motor mounts...(I took them back off) Not trying to start drama, that's not what we are here for. I mentioned what I did and it's been working fine. I also stated that this is my spare...If this was my main flyer I probably would spend the money on a new shell. Again, this is just MY OPINION... Please read thourouly before sounding of negatively please.

Hey bro.. i dont know who your talking to or about.. but who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? Aint no body starting drama except you my man.. we are giving our opinions like you asked.. there was hardly a smart answer in all those posts. We were just saying serious things can happen..maybe we made light of the situation and made a joke.. but sounds like your wanting drama. If you ask a question your gonna get realistic answers. I was talking about it and asking questions about the motor mounts for myself.. cause what do you know. Im going through the same thing with my p3p. Its got cracks and i have a new shell in the mail. Im debating whether to order the mounts before I get to excited and put the shell on. No ones downing you man. Might had a laugh but it wasnt at you. Sounds like your taking it too seriously. But in the end of your post you say this is just your opinion ... so how you gonna jump on others for expressing their opinion.. whether you like it or not... everyones reading your post thoroughly.. we just drifted into another conversation a little bit. Sorry i have a p3p and am dealing with the same issues. And personally if you have more than one bird and even a newer model then the P3P then you should know that by now and you should not want to risk 1 of your crafys by falling out of the sky or falling into something or hurting somebody. The stress cracks can be a serious thing if you don't keep an eye on them I have accumulated new cracks after one flight and it was a big one so just be careful that's all we're saying. I wouldn't wanna lose a 200 dollar drone or 2000 dollar drone eother way.. Anyway man not trying to drag this home but be a little more receptive and a little more open to people it's a forum for a reason. Other people are gonna be experiencing the same problems maybe the same exact problems maybe a little bit different but a similar problem so of course other people are going to respond. Sorry if it seemed like someone was singling you out

As in all engineering, a stress crack has formed due to excessive stress at that point, on the shell very often from slight (probably unnoticeable) vibration or rapid direction changes over a period of time.
A stress crack can very quickly turn into a full break and disaster so there is no way I'd fly with these cracks, value the drone too much.
The Comet 1's and 2's fell out of the sky due to stress cracks around the windows:(

Right.. lol your motor can fall/break out of the shell in mid flight if your cracks are bad enough right?? Thats why im replacing my shell... my camera cost 200. Im not risking it. New shell is in the mail. I just did a yaw arm replacement. you think i can do the shell replacement by myself? Not worth the risk of losing my bird. Anybody use or have the metal motor mount plates that attach onto the shell on the bottom to help with stress cracks. I was gonna order some. But wasnt sure about them. Plus its added weight though not much.
Will let you know about the reinforced plates got some coming Friday for my P3P has 2 cracks on one motor

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Will let you know about the reinforced plates got some coming Friday for my P3P has 2 cracks on one motor
Please do!! I have a 3d printer. And a laser i could cut something similar out of a different material if i could find the design online. But im hesitant because i dont want to use too weak of a material or use a design that could possibly add more stress to the shell. Cause they are rounded and curved a bit. Or if i should just let it ride with the new shell cause well its a new shell. Just maybe dont over tighten anything?

As in all engineering, a stress crack has formed due to excessive stress at that point, on the shell very often from slight (probably unnoticeable) vibration or rapid direction changes over a period of time.
A stress crack can very quickly turn into a full break and disaster so there is no way I'd fly with these cracks, value the drone too much.
The Comet 1's and 2's fell out of the sky due to stress cracks around the windows:(
Cheddar man whats your opinion on dji brand carbon fiber props? I did a quick test flight a quick hover and throttle punch and they dont seem to be out of balance much if at all but I'm no expert. Should i buy a balancer and balance them properly? Or assume they are somewhere near the right tolerance and keep flying. I noticed one stress crack i didnt see before after the flight but its a good possibility it was there before hand. After i put the new shell on in a couple days I want to make sure she is in top shape flying the best she can be. Thanks for any input

Hi all,
I have been using the cnc aluminum mount plates on every Phantom 3 I own for quite some time now. I put them on whether there are stress cracks or not. The ones that have cracks are not getting any worse. The ones that are crack free, are still crack free. I have flown them with and without the plates attached. In my humble opinion, there is no affect in performance by having them on. I personally like the look of them,, and they are a lot easier to install than replacing a new shell, and less money also. And, after you have replaced the shell, you eventually have another phantom with stress cracks! My opinion.

Hi all,
I have been using the cnc aluminum mount plates on every Phantom 3 I own for quite some time now. I put them on whether there are stress cracks or not. The ones that have cracks are not getting any worse. The ones that are crack free, are still crack free. I have flown them with and without the plates attached. In my humble opinion, there is no affect in performance by having them on. I personally like the look of them,, and they are a lot easier to install than replacing a new shell, and less money also. And, after you have replaced the shell, you eventually have another phantom with stress cracks! My opinion.
Right on. Appreciate the knowledge. Pretty much what i figured. Amd if your out there flying in alaska lol they must be up to the challenge.. the new shell is already shipped unfortunately. And i want to replace it anyway. The landing gear are bent too and think the whole shell is a little out of whack so ill def add the motor mounts for sure either when i replace it or a few days after as soon as i can muster up the cash just bought all these little goodies to go with the new shell heres my cracks.. i put a little jb plastic weld to hold her for a couple days until the new shell.comes

Attachments

• 20190828_123015.jpg
    20190828_123015.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 249
  • 20190828_123249.jpg
    20190828_123249.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 274
  • 20190828_123258.jpg
    20190828_123258.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 254
Reactions: KachemakDiver

Recent Posts