Stopping a Drone from from Voyeurism

Be it operating a UAV out of plain view looking in on people, or hiding in the bushes with a gun aimed at taking down a spy, the whole anonymity factor to me seems to fuel the privacy concerns.

I was filming some of my kids' water activities from a hover point out over the lake they were on this past weekend. Like many, I enjoy the unique perspectives that aerial photography allows. I was later told by an older kid that was there that a supervisor of the activities said that what I was doing was illegal because I didn't have all of the kids permission to be photographed. I guess it is something about a flying camera that is perceived differently than half a dozen parents holding up iPhones, camcorders, or DSLRs.

I wonder if the young 20-something had any idea about the 20-year felony for taking down an aircraft when he was spraying water towards my P4P with the water hose meant for the kids activity area .
With a few exceptions, it's legal to film children in public places without parental consent. For examples of the exceptions, Georgia passed a law in 2010 that prohibits taking a photograph (or video) of a minor with the consent of the parent or guardian. NJ introduced a similar law in 2016, but I think it hasn't passed yet.

Private facilities may have their own rules preventing photography without parent consent.

In that kind of situation, it might be prudent to speak to the supervisor ahead of time. It's no different than if you had been standing there with a camcorder or cell phone. That can change the perception of "that's creepy" to "that's cool".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT