What I did was wrong on so many levels

Reaction score
So, I'm a pretty new P3A and first time quad owner.

Wife and I live in a neighborhood where it's pretty much three acre wooded lots.

Late yesterday afternoon, I send the bird up through a tree opening above our rear deck.

I sent her over the trees to my neighbor's house, with who we are very good friends. Then I lower it to about 75 feet and hovered a bit before moving on. This was over their deck.

I did this not to spy, but as a "look at my new gadget" thing.

Anyway, I land the P3A back on my deck.

Wife and I put it in the car and drove over there to give them a close up look.

I was pretty shocked at the response upon our arrival.

"Privacy invasion...Almost shot it down". That sort of thing.

It was not overtly hostile, but not pleasant.

I KNEW BETTER, BUT JUST HADN'T THOUGHT IT OUT!

The least I could have done was called beforehand, to have him watch for a celestial visitor in a joking sort of way.

Yeah, I'd had a few "beverages" as he and I often do.

64 years old, and again: I
KNEW BETTER!

Learned my lesson bigtime, so no flames necessary.

My reason for posting is to remind other newbies... Respect your neighbors areas, no matter how innocent your intentions may be.

Now, to go over and apologize AGAIN this afternoon.

I'll leave the quad at home, but bring some beer... :(

And then, when this little incident is smoothed over, you should offer him a chance to fly it, and check it out from that perspective. We humans tend to be fearful of that which we do not understand...

Lol, I have one neighbour who would definitely shoot me down. I stay below the privacy fences when junior and I are out playing in the street just to make it clear I'm not peeking over them.

Lol, I have one neighbour who would definitely shoot me down. I stay below the privacy fences when junior and I are out playing in the street just to make it clear I'm not peeking over them.

My neighbour just bought a P4P
I'm safe
His wife told me if she sees me flying over her place she'll "get the girls out" LOL

lol I live in a pretty rural area but do have close neighbors on both sides of me and across the street on the sides they don't care or mind it but starting to think the ones across the road do as I noticed yesterday evening they were out in there yard doing stuff I heard there kid say hey look as my P3S went past they're land then they all went inside till I was finished. I want to and plan on going over there to tell them I'm not spying on them just passing by to get to this tree line I fly every evening in hopes of spotting deer and other wildlife.

I pulled the card and transferred the video onto my desktop for a much clearer view.

Wow, he did come out of the house and leveled his shotgun right at my bird: Sadie 2 (our Goldendoodle is Sadie).

I didn't realize it, and coincidently jumped to 300 feet right before he pulled the trigger.

Cripes! :cool:

Reactions: Squirrel!
I pulled the card and transferred the video onto my desktop for a much clearer view.

Wow, he did come out of the house and leveled his shotgun right at my bird: Sadie 2 (our Goldendoodle is Sadie).

I didn't realize it, and coincidently jumped to 300 feet right before he pulled the trigger.

Cripes! :cool:

Post that video please.

I might.... I know nothing about video editing, and right now am trying to learn how to clip out that footage so I don't have to post the whole flight.

Using Windows Movie video maker...

I might.... I know nothing about video editing, and right now am trying to learn how to clip out that footage so I don't have to post the whole flight.

Using Windows Movie video maker...

I couldn't get WMM to read my video files from the Phantom, I got avidemux, no effects and not super user friendly to output but it'll do full quality and takes screen grabs easy.

Reactions: The Springs
lol I live in a pretty rural area but do have close neighbors on both sides of me and across the street on the sides they don't care or mind it but starting to think the ones across the road do as I noticed yesterday evening they were out in there yard doing stuff I heard there kid say hey look as my P3S went past they're land then they all went inside till I was finished. I want to and plan on going over there to tell them I'm not spying on them just passing by to get to this tree line I fly every evening in hopes of spotting deer and other wildlife.

Actually, this is exactly what you should do. I went around my neighborhood and let everyone know that I had a new "toy" and that if they saw it flying around, it was me. I let them know that I fly it for fun and was not using it for nefarious reasons, or spying. The reception was actually quite positive and lots of curiosity. Many actually asked if I could take a picture of their house or property from the sky. That being said, I am still very respectful and try to be mindful not do so something silly.

Cometstorm, having a few 'beverages' before you take flight is an equally irresponsible thing. At 64 you should probably know that too. If you want to crash your gear into a tree in your backyard 'cause you've had a few cocktails that's fine but for the sake of everyone else in your neighborhood and those in these industry please fly sober. Admitting such in a forum is also a good way to lose your part 107 license (if you have one).

I fly a lot in the country. Good scenery. Never fly near homes. Never fly near livestock. Always ask permission to fly near farm buildings in use (abandoned ones are fair game). I don't want to be one who contributes to the bad reputation we get from irresponsible pilots. Here's a tip...BLM lands are a great place to fly (or shoot your favorite firearm!).

Call your neighbour and say "can I bring over a beer" when he says yes then fly a can over to him on a drone. Pretty sure he will see the funny side and all be well

Last edited:
All is good with the neighbor.

I visited a few days later and we had a good laugh.

He said his gun was not loaded, and being the laid-back guy he is... he was about to lasso it with his fishing rod! :D

Fortunately I live on 44 acres with no neighbors close by. I use my Phantom 3 4K to check my property. I never fly over any neighbors yards as I travel the perimeter. I mostly check for trespassers which I've had in the past. After reading your replies i think it would be a good idea to let the abutting properties know that I fly my perimeter and I'm not spying on them.
Thank you for the insight, as always

The real issue here is, from what you are saying, you did not maintain VLOS. That's is an extremely unsafe practice and violates the FAA rules. Where I live, Ultra-lights and sea planes buzz over tree tops. You can't see them until they are nearly on top of you. So once you fly out of sight, you not only don't see your drone, but you can't see other danger. Here in NH, eagles and large birds are another unseen threat.

Enjoy your drone, but fly within the FAA rules before we all lose our freedoms to fly.

I live in an upscale subdivision with mostly seniors, if any of my lady neighbours let the "girls" out I'd need a bumper cam on juniors RC car to get video of the goods from ground level, lol.

This is one of the most hilarious things anyone has said on this forum. Thanks for the belly laugh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues