Solving the black screen FPV (no-live-feed) issue - co-operation needed

My comms error was caused by TX on wifi going to TXO on USB board when it should got to RXI . Also Tx on wifi should go to RXI on usb board.
Look carefully at the diagram. A basic serial comms error which I should not have done.
I only remembered this today after looking again at instructions. Hope it helps and good luck.
I have attached a diagram to show what I mean with the arrows showing the direction of the data to and from the boards.
Where are you by the way ?
I from Argentina for last two years i living in Lima Perú. I think mi USB board is different. Can you check? I uploaded photo but I don't see rxi only a RX and no txo only TX , this board is compatible for this job? Thanks for you help.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_130246.jpg
    IMG_20171125_130246.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20171125_130515.jpg
    IMG_20171125_130515.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 455
Looking at you photos your board has just Tx and Rx so connect Tx on board to Rx on wifi then Rx on board to Tx on wifi. Remaining wires are Vcc on board to 5V on wifi and GND on board to left UART pad on Wifi.
Have not had chance to look up your board but FTD 1232 as on photo is a USB to serial converter board so should be ok. Don't forget to "jumper" the Boot and 3V3 pins also.
You may like to follow the colours of the wiring in the original diagram as a help. You photos are excellent and were a great help.

Another thought. if you still get a Comms error and you are convinced your wiring is correct try a different USB to FTD1232 board connector as these are sometimes different or faulty.

Reactions: okstuv
P2V have black screen and have a line on some brand new in box FC200 - if using android app 1.0.61 and install new camera will this solve the black screen issue - it’s my understanding that the board that’s bricked is in the camera - any help is appreciated.

I was also experiencing the problem with no video in Vision App from my Phantom 2 Vision Plus although I was getting telemetry. I removed and sent my wifi module to okstuv for repair. I got it back today and installed it an now I am once again getting video. I highly recommend okstuv for this repair. He was very helpful to me.

P2V have black screen and have a line on some brand new in box FC200 - if using android app 1.0.61 and install new camera will this solve the black screen issue - it’s my understanding that the board that’s bricked is in the camera - any help is appreciated.

The black screen problem always seems to point to either over heating (obvious burnt circuits in some cases) or faulty nand memory in the lower board. Both refer to the wifi module not the camera.

I was also experiencing the problem with no video in Vision App from my Phantom 2 Vision Plus although I was getting telemetry. I removed and sent my wifi module to okstuv for repair. I got it back today and installed it an now I am once again getting video. I highly recommend okstuv for this repair. He was very helpful to me.
Thanks Copperminer - okstuv is on the case !!!!

okstuv feels the issue is in the video transmission hardware inside the egg which has its own memory and maybe corrupted !!!

No it didn’t - okstuv worked on my egg and no go - I did get a refurbished egg and installed DJI-vision 1.0.61android app on my Samsung galaxy s4 - all working fine now - swapped old egg in - no go.

Quick question. Will this fix a P2V Standard (NOT PLUS)?
Moose is correct. I tried to find appropriate connection points on the egg's boards, to no avail... couldn't find any resources online about repairing it either, unfortunately.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Thank you. I have communicated with DJI and they say I “might” be eligible for the P2 Care replacement program. I explained that my son received as gift and I didn’t have proof of purchase...so we’ll see.

Worst case, I guess I’ll strap on a 5.8ghz tiny FPV racing came and let let him use goggles. The cam still records, so at least he wouldn’t be completely blind. Lol

Is there an easy way to hook up the "Egg" to a 5.8ghz FPV transmitter like the ImmersionRc? Can the transmitter then be powered by the Egg/P2V? Sorry for all the questions on such an old thread. I am pretty new at FPV mods/installations. Just trying to get some sort of live video feed for my son to fly the thing...

Is there an easy way to hook up the "Egg" to a 5.8ghz FPV transmitter like the ImmersionRc? Can the transmitter then be powered by the Egg/P2V? Sorry for all the questions on such an old thread. I am pretty new at FPV mods/installations. Just trying to get some sort of live video feed for my son to fly the thing...

The P2V uses a 5.ghz transmitter so adding any type of 5.8ghz system for camera will cause issues such as loss of control and flyaway. Only the original P2 quads that used 2.4ghz transmitter were able to use 5.8ghz fpv gear.

The P2V uses a 5.ghz transmitter so adding any type of 5.8ghz system for camera will cause issues such as loss of control and flyaway. Only the original P2 quads that used 2.4ghz transmitter were able to use 5.8ghz fpv gear.

So everything on P2V is 5.8? I was thinking that since the WiFi module is dead (thus no video feed) a replacement 5.8 would work in its place. So you’re saying the control of craft itself is on 5.8 too? I thought it was 2.4. Good to know.

So after further research, it would cost me about $85 to convert it to 2.4 and get new Rx controller. Then, I’d have to add the FPV parts of another $50 or so. Geez. All I want is to have FPV again without spending $150 on a stupid egg replacement that will more than likely die again. Curse you DJI.

One additional question. With that conversion, is a different repeater needed or does it replace the need? Argh. Looking more and more like we’ll be flying this without “eyes”. Too much $ to spend on such old tech.

Thanks in advance.

So everything on P2V is 5.8? I was thinking that since the WiFi module is dead (thus no video feed) a replacement 5.8 would work in its place. So you’re saying the control of craft itself is on 5.8 too? I thought it was 2.4. Good to know.

It’s not the Wi-Fi that’s dead it’s the video transmitting board that has failed, a bit like a GoPro when you can link to it using Wi-Fi but get no picture from the camera.
There is no way to use the range extender on a P2V if you want to use a GoPro as it’s propriatary to DJI and links the egg camera to your phone. You can however replace the camera on a P2V plus with a GoPro and adapt the cabling, I’m no expert on that subject however

Hi AndrewCCM and crash1sttime.
It's been another few months and unfortunately there is still no progress on fixing Blind/Blank FPV on the Phantom 2 Vision Basic (non-plus, egg camera) model :-/ A few other drone hackers have reached out to me and we've shared info but haven't been able to get the FC200 cameras into "Boot me" mode in order to re-flash the boot-loader on them. The P2 Care Program may be the best route for any US flyers who haven't broken too many warranty seals on the Phantom 2 Vision drones (base with the egg camera).

For those of you looking for a blank screen fix for your Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus model, I've consolidated all the resources I've found in one place to help you sort through your options. Here we go...

What causes the blank screen issue on the P2VP? Quite simply, the firmware memory chips corrupt over time and if enough memory corruptions build up then the bottom board in the module won't boot up and the streaming video feed to your app stops.

What about heat? Heat never helps! But it's not the root cause. It probably increases the rate of volatile memory corruption, but even a cool module, sitting on the shelf, corrupts over time - as we see from the myriad hobbyists who turn it on after shelving it for 6 months only to find FPV isn't working.

Now you have telemetry (because the top board in the wifi module still works and transmits wifi signal to the range extender), but the FPV doesn't work because the Davinci video processing chip on the lower board stops doing its job and freezes during its boot-up sequence.

What are your options (as of March 2019):
  • Buy a working module ($100 to $200 on eBay) that is good for now, but has a non-zero chance of failing at some point in the future
  • If you live in the USA and you've never opened or modified your drone, try your luck at DJI's P2 Care Plan - maybe after filling out the survey and jumping through all the hoops you'll get your drone fixed for FREE! This is the only repair option that I know of to fix a Phantom 2 Vision Basic (egg camera) that has no live video feed.
  • Get a newer drone that is less likely to go blind: Mavic Pro, P3 Standard, Phantom 4, etc. (note that some P3Pro do go blind for similar reasons to the P2VP issue)
  • Reflash the NAND yourself, using the tutorial I've put together - this requires about $30 of equipment and a steady soldering hand. Be careful not to damage the test pads on the board or repair will become impossible for you or anyone you send the board to!
  • Have someone else repair your board for you (~$80) - I am in the USA and do the repairs (contact me here), in the UK this Youtuber FlymyMavic has a tutorial on the fix and does great work, or try one of the handful of people offering the service on eBay (my handle on eBay is okstuv)

Oh, and one more tip. For those of you with no telemery and no fpv: your problem is Binding, not necessarily a bad module. Unfortunately, binding the module to the range extender is trickier than it used to be. You see many modern cell phones are not completely compatible with the binding feature in the DJI Vision app. I've put together this tips and tricks page to help people bind their range extenders properly - even examples of what a bad bind looks like and what a good one looks like. Enjoy!

Good luck and happy flying!

. I've put together this tips and tricks page to help people bind their range extenders properly - even examples of what a bad bind looks like and what a good one looks like. Enjoy!

Good luck and happy flying!

Sorry mate never made this plain, crash and flymymavic are the same person in case you werent aware. as for binding, i find that nearly every apple phone upto the 6 plus seem to work the best, might be because DJI were built for apple devices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic