Solving the black screen FPV (no-live-feed) issue - co-operation needed

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think this is time for us to solve the issue called no live feed.

Also known as:
  • no live stream
  • black screen FPV
  • telemetry ok but no picture
  • phantom connection broken
Possible cause (assumption) 1
haven't used the P2 for a while - when turned on, screen is black, last time it worked

Possible cause (assumption) 2
DJI Vision APP forced the Range Extender update
054109h4cmmpnvrf41mvcv.jpg

And the next flight the screen is black.

Symptoms (assumption, based on forum posts, videos)
  • unclear image, codec issues (green/pink bars and no clear image)
  • no live stream at all
  • loss of camera functions (shot, video)
  • phantom connection broken error message
  • network timeout message
As "gaucho" user pointed out - this issue is not just affects Phantom 2 vision (+) but Lightbridge and P3 series as well.
lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) - firmware version not found by dji assistant tool

I have bought a range extender and a V3 wifi module (with vents on the metal case) so we could test it out and try to reflash it.
IMG_20170206_234612.jpg IMG_20170206_190053.jpg IMG_20170206_190005.jpg IMG_20170206_190001.jpg IMG_20170206_185954.jpg
  • We will need a fully working DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus firmware, this has to be dumped.
  • We will need somebody with deep electrical skills to perform the update
  • We will need to document it for the forum members
Please help me find the final solution for this so we could enjoy the P2 for a few more years.

Cheers thanks

I hope someone finds a solution for this. If possible, without soldering :)
It would be easy if you could connect the two boards together and upgrade via USB

Sorry for the delay with this. My road blocks really are that if I flash the 2 "dead" wifi modules, I do not have a way to verify them as I have sold off my cables (internal to connect to Phantom 2), and my WiFi extender that mounts to remote.

I need to find a way to power the board so i can attempt the flash procedure. I have solderless connectors I can use also.

Hopefully I can use a power supply from work as I believe the board needs 12 volts.

Hope to have some progress on this.

Sorry for the delay with this. My road blocks really are that if I flash the 2 "dead" wifi modules, I do not have a way to verify them as I have sold off my cables (internal to connect to Phantom 2), and my WiFi extender that mounts to remote.

I need to find a way to power the board so i can attempt the flash procedure. I have solderless connectors I can use also.

Hopefully I can use a power supply from work as I believe the board needs 12 volts.

Hope to have some progress on this.

I still have the cables and 2 RE700s. we could work together and share the results.
I have 12V PSU with small amps, I'd try that.
What do you think? I live in GMT+1 area but very flexible..

Hi all, I'm trying to solve the same. Input from the Lightbridge reflashing thread with Gaucho, rmhome and username helped with my first attempt and 2nd attempt at this. I've now reflashed a "bad" module that I bought off eBay and I'm waiting on a borrowed p2vp this weekend to validate the "fix."

Reactions: Seaman and shomci
Hi all, I'm trying to solve the same. Input from the Lightbridge reflashing thread with Gaucho, rmhome and username helped with my first attempt and 2nd attempt at this. I've now reflashed a "bad" module that I bought off eBay and I'm waiting on a borrowed p2vp this weekend to validate the "fix."

excellent, lets hope you succeeded.
could you prepare a quick documentation for us as a how-to please. i am intended to do the same and create a video tutorial. most of the p2s are suffering from this.. i'd like to solve it and help others.

excellent, lets hope you succeeded.
could you prepare a quick documentation for us as a how-to please. i am intended to do the same and create a video tutorial. most of the p2s are suffering from this.. i'd like to solve it and help others.

Hi. No luck yet. I think the used wifi module I bought off eBay had more issues than just firmware flakiness. It was unstable and didn't predictably (try to) boot. Only after multiple power cycles did I get the Boot Me Boot Me message in the terminal.

That said I did get it to boot and accept all the bins Gaucho and Rmhome prepared, but the unstable boot process made testing the flash effectiveness impossible...

Hi. No luck yet. I think the used wifi module I bought off eBay had more issues than just firmware flakiness. It was unstable and didn't predictably (try to) boot. Only after multiple power cycles did I get the Boot Me Boot Me message in the terminal.

That said I did get it to boot and accept all the bins Gaucho and Rmhome prepared, but the unstable boot process made testing the flash effectiveness impossible...

hey, i still have a "bad" module awaiting for testing. can you create a quick howto with pics so i can replicate what you were doing and test it on my side.

in the meantime i got my p2 back from dji, now heavily testing it.
without motors on, 1.0.59 apk running since 1,5 hours, taking snaps per minute. dji vision app sometimes fails but the live feed is solid. this is after djis second repair attempt.
i tested the 1.0.61 for almost 4 hours of continuous live feed.
my warranty ends in april, until then i am not gonna open it but after i am willing to create a proper dump image. for this i need to know the exact process.

i flew with the biatch today.
spent 3 batteries, around 1 hour flight. i was really pleased but in the second battery at around 50% i got jammed video feed.
upload_2017-2-26_19-41-25.png

landed, turned off, battery swap and with the 3rd battery it worked like a charm.

i think it will fail again.... lets see, next week i try to be in the air much more. temperature was around 8 Celsius.

Hi Somci,
The solution proposed by gaucho for the lightbridge can be applied to P2V +? I stopped using it for a few months and it does exactly the same thing, it does not transmit video but it does the telemetry.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Somci,
The solution proposed by gaucho for the lightbridge can be applied to P2V +? I stopped using it for a few months and it does exactly the same thing, it does not transmit video but it does the telemetry.

Thanks for your help.
hey, some people had luck with that. i haven't try it out because i sold mine while it was still in a good working condition..

Hi my module was bad with no live feed and no responce on the ping test. Sent mine to rmhome who fixed it with the lightbridge flash method. Mine is the old module with no vents so i thought it was overheat but its corrupt firmware causing it. I think the firmware from the lightbridge and the P2v+ is the same.

I am new drone pilot. bought my first p2 v+3.0. Owner said that all was fine when he last flew it 9months ago. When I powered up I could not get Live video, but owner assured me that it was fine and its an issue with app so I bought it. When I got home and spent all night pulling my hair out reading and watching youtube and tried fixes, didn't matter how many times I re bind and/or youtube fixes that people post etc.

Another friend had a P2 V+ 2.0 that he crashed and broke his camera. So I took his wifi module out and swapped with mine. Mine had holes in it, his didnt, so Im assuming downgrade. As soon as I swapped live feed was good as gold. Have now had the drone for about 5 days and done more than 7 charging cycles X4 batteries (yes Im addicted to flying...lol) and live feed is good as gold!

But the more I read about this issue, im scared its gonna burn the module again? Or was it only burning out because of a software update, which now would not affect me?

I have read about taking it apart to put that isulation paste to prevent burning.... but on the other hand the mate that crashed his drone and donated his wifi module to me has told me he has flown his for hours upon hours with no issue til he crashed. but thats his camera fail not module. So would this mean he was lucky and dji put enough paste from factory? So I should just leave it alone as I got a good one now?

Hi all,
For those of you with Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus quads that are suffering the blank screen in app issue - no FPV, but good telemetry data. I've successfully revived my wifi module using info from this thread (big thanks to Gaucho, rmhome, andrew_by and others on the lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) thread).

I packaged what I did up in this tutorial: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix

I hope it helps some people revive their wifi modules too. Good luck and feedback on my tutorial is welcome.

IMG_7262.PNG
IMG_7258.JPG
Hi all,
For those of you with Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus quads that are suffering the blank screen in app issue - no FPV, but good telemetry data. I've successfully revived my wifi module using info from this thread (big thanks to Gaucho, rmhome, andrew_by and others on the lightbridge firmware PROBLEM (and solution) thread).

I packaged what I did up in this tutorial: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Blank Screen Corrupt NAND fix

I hope it helps some people revive their wifi modules too. Good luck and feedback on my tutorial is welcome.

Woohoo! It worked!
Thanks again for the tutorial.

A few days after successfully re-programming the module my video feed has stop working again. What is causing the chip to "forget" its programming?

A few days after successfully re-programming the module my video feed has stop working again. What is causing the chip to "forget" its programming?
These modules have issues with the NAND memory corrupting - this is why releasing fixes it. Some are worse than others.

Can the board be programmed per the above instructions but without disconnecting anything? (I would solder connectors to the board and cut the shielding to allow connection to the board without any disassembly.)
I ask because I have a P2V+ that re-corrupts within a week of being re-programmed. Taking it all apart to re-program before each day of flying gets old fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic