Signal lost, Why, Fly Log Attached

Reaction score
New owner here. Aircraft lost signal from controller. Disconnect warning came across controller. I thought it would automatically return home, it wasn't that far away. After a few minutes, when it didn't return, I hit the return home botton and waited and it didn't return. Im pretty sure I had the settings correct, What settings should I be concered about?
If I attach the flight log can someone tell me why it disconnected?

Oh man bad read,did you home point get set before take off,? And yes should upload so someone can maybe work out what happen and possibly help locate you bird,good luck

New owner here. Aircraft lost signal from controller. Disconnect warning came across controller. I thought it would automatically return home, it wasn't that far away. After a few minutes, when it didn't return, I hit the return home botton and waited and it didn't return. Im pretty sure I had the settings correct, What settings should I be concered about?

Possibly - depending on what happened. It's certainly worth a look.

Have you got the Phantom back?
If you want help ....
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.

Oh man bad read,did you home point get set before take off,? And yes should upload so someone can maybe work out what happen and possibly help locate you bird,good luck
this doesn't happen very often.
But even if you are impatient and launch before the home point is recorded, a homepoint would be recorded as soon as the Phantom gets GPS reception, which would be soon after takeoff (unless flying in a cave, canyon or under dense tree cover etc.

I FOUND IT.

I looked at the litchi map and went to where it lost signal and it was there in a tree with a broken propeller.
I don't know if there wasn't enough gps signal for it to return home or what?
It was the first time flying in manually. I had it set in P mode, is that correct?
I have used waypoints mission to fly in the same area and it never lost signal.
Will try again.

I FOUND IT.

I looked at the litchi map and went to where it lost signal and it was there in a tree with a broken propeller.
It was the first time flying in manually. I had it set in P mode, is that correct?
I have used waypoints mission to fly in the same area and it never lost signal.
Will try again.

Are you sure that it simply wasn't too low to clear the tree, either when you were controlling it or, if it lost signal while still flying, when it was returning to the home point. Did you check your RTH altitude?

Are you sure that it simply wasn't too low to clear the tree, either when you were controlling it or, if it lost signal while still flying, when it was returning to the home point. Did you check your RTH altitude?

it was 113ft up, so don't believe it it the trees.
How do I check the RTH Altitude? In Litchi settings I have a couple options, first is Go Home Altitude, second is Maximum Altitude: both say N/A

Have you got the Phantom back?
If you want help ....

Flight Log.
Anyone tell me why it lost signal?
How many Satellites is good reception?

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Flight Log.

My guess is that you did not have enough altitude. Likely due to launching from a lower elevation, flying to an area of higher elevation, and not correctly accounting for the trees growing in the higher elevation.

It's a relatively common mistake that we see here regularly. Here's one from last week:
I lost my drone (P3 standard) tonight

Last edited:
Flight Log.

There are a couple of problems evident here. The uplink was fine but the downlink was lost quite suddenly at around 950 ft, which is why the log ended. Secondly, the aircraft was probably too low for the terrain - you launched at 545 ft MSL but the terrain where the log stops is at 625 MSL, so with an altitude above the takeoff point of 113 ft the aircraft was only 33 ft above ground level. The log does not record the collision with the tree though.

There was no problem with satellite reception - the aircraft had 15 locked at the end of the log.

2017-12-04_11-13-26_v2_01.png

Reactions: JoBe and Snider7779
It lost signal because you did not have a clear, unobstructed line of sight to your Phantom.
Treetops were blocking the signal.
The number of satellites has nothing to do with the quality of the radio signal between your controller and the Phantom.
it was 113ft up, so don't believe it it the trees.
The height shown is the height above your launch point.
At the point where the flight record ended, the terrain was about 74 feet higher than the launch point and the Phantom would have been about 39 feet above ground level (not counting tree height).
If the trees were 40 feet high, that is all the explanation you need for the incident.
i-Q4H6VBp-L.jpg

it was there in a tree with a broken propeller.
Once your Phantom has crashed into a tree it doesn't matter how many GPS satellites it has, RTH isn't going to happen.
How do I check the RTH Altitude?
You can check in the app when you have your Phantom powered on but it wouldn't matter what RTH was set at in this case.
The Phantom never got a chance to RTH.
In a Litchi waypoint mission, the mission will continue even if signal is lost. RTH will not be initiated.
In a waypoint mission it is extra important to make sure that you have sufficient height to clear all terrain and obstacles like trees because Litchi will fly exactly where you program it to. Even into a mountain (or treetops)

Reactions: JoBe and Snider7779
It lost signal because you did not have a clear, unobstructed line of sight to your Phantom.
The number of satellites has nothing to do with the quality of the radio signal between your controller and the Phantom.

At the point where the flight record ended, the terrain was about 74 feet higher than the launch point and the Phantom would have been about 39 feet above ground level (not counting tree height).
If the trees were 40 feet high, that is all the explanation you need for the incident.
i-Q4H6VBp-L.jpg

Once your Phantom has crashed into a tree it doesn't matter how many GPS satellites it has, RTH isn't going to happen.

You can check in the app when you have your Phantom powered on but it wouldn't matter what RTH was set at in this case.
In a Litchi waypoint mission, the mission will continue even if signal is lost. RTH will not be initiated.
In a waypoint mission it is extra important to make sure that you have sufficient height to clear all terrain and obstacles like trees because Litchi will fly exactly where you program it to. Even into a mountain (or treetops)

The OP was apparently flying using Litchi, but manually - not a waypoint mission. But, other than changing the RTH behavior on uplink loss, that doesn't make much difference. The line of sight question is marginal - I was going to post the viewshed from the last recorded point (see below) earlier but, without the trees, it indicated that line of sight existed. The downlink was lost before it hit the tree, however, and the signal quality was clearly degrading. The only slightly puzzling feature is that the uplink was still very good.

Untitled2.jpg

Reactions: Snider7779
The OP was apparently flying using Litchi, but manually - not a waypoint mission. But, other than changing the RTH behavior on uplink loss, that doesn't make much difference. The line of sight question is marginal - I was going to post the viewshed from the last recorded point (see below) earlier but, without the trees, it indicated that line of sight existed. The downlink was lost before it hit the tree, however, and the signal quality was clearly degrading. The only slightly puzzling feature is that the uplink was still very good.

View attachment 91862
I also thought about why seemingly only the downlink was compromised. Might it be that a custom channel was selected for the downlink and the operator was unlucky enough to have another service operating on that channel? I’m not sure if the custom channel setting is stored in the AC or is GO app and controller specific (would not carry across to a litchi use instance).

Reactions: chazzm
I also thought about why seemingly only the downlink was compromised. Might it be that a custom channel was selected for the downlink and the operator was unlucky enough to have another service operating on that channel? I’m not sure if the custom channel setting is stored in the AC or is GO app and controller specific (would not carry across to a litchi use instance).

The Litichi log reports that the system was using Channel 15. Does it use the same channel for up and down?

The Litichi log reports that the system was using Channel 15. Does it use the same channel for up and down?
I don’t believe so. That is why the 32 channel hack was often helpful in increasing range. It made one extra channel available for the control signal.

i-Q4H6VBp-L.jpg

Thank you for your response. I learned a lot.
Why did it lose signal, because of tree obstruction??
What should I do with these settings. I attached a photo. This is in Litchi settings.
Go Home Altitude??
Maximum Altitude??

Attachments

• IMG_0252.PNG
    IMG_0252.PNG
    164.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
As stated you have to be powered on to set your RTH, Etc settings, i made same mistake as you first litchi waypoint flight. Trees around me about 30-45' so i set RTH at 60' to clear trees. Not taking into consideration, the distance/direction i was flying, ground rose about 50', so when my P3A got to last waypoints, it was 10' into the trees! Thankfully, my bird just sat in the top branches of a 50' evergreen. An arborist & 100 bucks later, my undamaged Phantom & a lesson learned

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl