Shim Rotor Motor to compensate for bent rotor arm

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on how to repair a motor that is tilted slightly inward after a tree/ground interface. :) When my P3Pro crashed it landed directly on the front left rotor arm. The plastic body/shell now has a slight deformation before the motor right at the seam on the lower half of the body at the narrowest part of the arm (similar to the picture below).
BentRotorArm.jpg

Now the tip of the rotor blade slightly contacts the top of the P3's body. Normally there is about 1cm of clearance. I haven't flown it since. I have ordered myself a new body/shell already, but wanted to try putting shims under the 2 inside motor mount screws to compensate for the body deformation and get the desired body clearance. Does anyone have any experience trying this or any videos or links that could help?

Thx.
CaptDukeLax

If replace the shell is the popular answer...Please post some links to videos showing a Phantom3 teardown and rebuild. I've seen a few P2V+ videos but havent found any for the P3. I think the two are pretty dissimilar enough inside.

This video will show you how to get it apart.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video will show you how to get it apart.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks that helps a bit, but not quite the full tear-down I would need to see before I felt comfortable replacing the shell.

Looking for some advice on how to repair a motor that is tilted slightly inward after a tree/ground interface. :) When my P3Pro crashed it landed directly on the front left rotor arm. The plastic body/shell now has a slight deformation before the motor right at the seam on the lower half of the body at the narrowest part of the arm (similar to the picture below).
View attachment 30292
Now the tip of the rotor blade slightly contacts the top of the P3's body. Normally there is about 1cm of clearance. I haven't flown it since. I have ordered myself a new body/shell already, but wanted to try putting shims under the 2 inside motor mount screws to compensate for the body deformation and get the desired body clearance. Does anyone have any experience trying this or any videos or links that could help?

Thx.
CaptDukeLax
I watched a YouTube shell replacement video last week but I can't find it now after a 5 minute search. Try different search words cause it's on there somewhere. It was actually a repairer who made the video. He does tablet and phone screens also and seems very reputable and up front on costs if you want him to do it. If not, the video was around 30 minutes or so and was very good. He was located in Virginia I think.

Well, I managed to find 2 very small thin washers and placed them under the 2 inside rotor mount screws. This perfectly leveled the rotors to they're original position. Test flight this weekend went flawlessly. I still have the new shell on order and will be checking for any stress cracks before any future flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.