Scared myself.....which is a first for me.

taking off / landing from something elevated perhaps helps with prop wash against the ground... just my guess. concrete is not going to provide any cushion on landing either. having said that i take off from just grassy ground mostly.
i have prop guards on, even though they are bulky, and maybe increase prop wash, or vertices, or whatever the term is. i dont want to chop anyone, and that risk outweighs the benefit of flying without them IMO.
last thing i can think of - i always set my return to home point. i launch, fly 50' out or whatever, and set RTH point. you have to be some X distance away to set it. if my craft is right next to me, it wont set.i dont recall the exact distance. P2vision.

Just insure it and fly care-free (as long as it's safe). I have a personal articles policy that will replace my equipment with no deductible if I screw it up. If it's a manufacturers issue, DJI will make it right if it's under warranty, and if it's liability you're concerned about join the AMA and just make sure you fly in accordance with their safety standards. That will give you 2.5 million in liability. Replacing my bird is the least of my concerns now, which is really freeing and allows me to enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you're really new to the hobby, do yourself a favor and go pick up a blade nano or other small, indoor-capable quad for 2 good reasons:

1. It's ridiculously fun. Low consequence, anywhere anytime flying is quite a different activity than flying a 'full' quad, and much more shareable with friends.

2. Practice. Aside from gyro stabilization, those little suckers are all manual and are great for learning the sticks. There's a lot to building the muscle memory and orientation adjustment (fly towards yourself and still know which way to move all your controls...without thinking about it!) that just takes time-in.

I've flown RC for decades, including helicopters briefly, and I put quite a few hours on a QX nano before picking up a phantom.

Otherwise, welcome, be careful, and have fun, in that order :)

EDIT: and good choice, btw. My P3P has been amazing

Reactions: Erised
Where are you located? Their might be someone here who can help you out. I've helped out two members here who came to my house and I let them fly mine

Hey folks!

Any tips / advise from the more experienced pilots would be truly appreciated.

Large part of my book talks about giving yourself the best shot of avoiding potentially dangerous situations, please have a look: A GUIDE TO STUNNING AERIAL IMAGERY – Where To Fly Drones

If a critical equipment failure occurs there isn't much we can do. Inspect your aircraft as best you can before each flight for loose screws or other parts, dents in the shell, etc.

I got flamed for this before (by people saying with my way of thinking we would never get to the moon) but try to NOT fly farther than you can see. Maintaining visual on the drone WILL help you react if something suspicious is going on. The rest is really just common sense.

Also, remember to tighten your props!!!! NOT just spin them on, but use the motor tool and give the props about 1/4 turn past snug!
The active "braking" of the motors can spin them off if they are not tight!

Have TONS of FUN though! Just concentrate on what you are doing and avoid distractions.

This is VERY addictive!!!! AND FUN!!!

Sorry i didnt quite understand why its better taking off from the case? I do notice pilots do that alot in the YouTube videos but didnt realize there was an advantage of doing this?
Avoiding taking off from concrete probably has more to do with the metal reinforcement in the concrete affecting your compass.

Sorry i didnt quite understand why its better taking off from the case? I do notice pilots do that alot in the YouTube videos but didnt realize there was an advantage of doing this?
There are 2 reasons why it's better. When you take off from the ground the air blown from the rotors lifts dirt and you can get your camera lens dusty. The 2nd and most important is that when you take off from a road, cement surface, pier you might have a compass issue. I experienced it twice. Everything might seem fine but the moment you get off the ground red links start blinking and you phantom is not responding in a proper way. This simply because of iron bars beneath the surface which messed the compass. If you are on the case you are normally far enough to avoid compass disturbance. This is way I never put it on a floor, not even for a moment.

I don't know if other people do this. But always calibrate the compass before flying. I've never had a problem

I don't know if other people do this. But always calibrate the compass before flying. I've never had a problem
The manual says to, and I always do and have had no issues. I have received some nasty comments from several people, and I will do what I feel is best and not them. I calibrate after every flight and once, I lost a signal, and the RTH home kicked in, and it came right to where I calibrated it from.

Fantastic tips folks. Thanks very much for sharing it. I will definitely remember this once I get my P3P back from the dealer. Unfortunately the firmware upgrade didn't go so well on the RC. Wished I just started flying it without trying the firmware upgrade now. [emoji17]

Phantom 3 Professional
iPhone 6 / iPad 3

I take off and land from cement, dirt, beach, grass, if you're too careful with this thing you won't learn crap.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

f329f811b220ff736d0b6df572cd6cda.jpg

Finally manage to get my replacement P3P on Friday and couldn't wait to take it up. This is my second flight and took off beginners mode on my first flight. Had a few runs on the simulator prior to that to ensure I got familiar with the controls.

There is still that element of fear when flying and am hoping it subsides as I get more flight time in. The fear is more apparent when the RC temporarily loses connection to the AC. [emoji28]

Took a few test shots just so that I had something to show for. Nothing spectacular I know but I hope to get better shots in future.

7b19a937a668eb15c8bb66be13f03c8b.jpg

ced5c7d5adf4f94747f9f781ff6f0b9e.jpg

Phantom 3 Professional
iPhone 6 / iPad 3

i understand your worries. i got my drone a few days ago and on my first flight was terrified of it just flying away. silly i know but as far as i was concerned i didnt want to just waste money and crash it.

fast forward a couple days and im flying it as far as i can away from only using my galaxy s5 as reference to the where abouts of my drone.

to get over the fear of losing it what i did was fly out to 100m a couple times and use the return to home function. once i was happy the drone would actually come back it made me more confident.

as to hurting people when crashing etc just dont fly near people.
i personally think flying away from people gives nicer pictures and videos anyway. would rather pics of stunning landscapes than the roofs on peoples homes.

Reactions: Raftcomm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers