P3P...got brave and stretched her legs..For me anyway

Reaction score
Got out into a big open area today to see how brave I could get. P3P with 1.6 on the Rc and 1.9 on the AC. After a few flights and the wind surfer panels I went out to 4500 ft. Yea, I know many have gone tons farther but I felt pretty good getting out that far without soiling myself, plus I could no longer see the AC at that distance soooooo.

I did try without the wind surfers and started getting weak transmission signal at about 2000 ft. I thought part of that might of been because some high voltage power lines were very close by. Added the wind surfers and tried again and chickened out at about 4500 without any weak trans signal warnings. I wonder if I tried to downgrade the AC firmware to 1.7 if I could eliminate the weak trans signal at all. I will say she flew without a hitch so I may leave well enough alone. HOWEVER!!! going that far for the first time made me now hungry to go further.. :).

Also downgrading the firmware may interfere with the current versions of litchi I have as well as autopilot.

The park I was at will have fireworks tomorrow night and I hope to be able to launch away from folks and get to the fireworks and get some good video.

Man! What a rush going almost a mile away...Wish I had more than 3 batteries....Hmmmmm, what drone to get next...LOL

Look forward to any suggestions on range or anything else drone related. Had this about a year and only been flying around the house and never really going very far. Man that was fun!

Have a good one folks.

Got out into a big open area today to see how brave I could get. P3P with 1.6 on the Rc and 1.9 on the AC. After a few flights and the wind surfer panels I went out to 4500 ft. Yea, I know many have gone tons farther but I felt pretty good getting out that far without soiling myself, plus I could no longer see the AC at that distance soooooo.

I did try without the wind surfers and started getting weak transmission signal at about 2000 ft. I thought part of that might of been because some high voltage power lines were very close by. Added the wind surfers and tried again and chickened out at about 4500 without any weak trans signal warnings. I wonder if I tried to downgrade the AC firmware to 1.7 if I could eliminate the weak trans signal at all. I will say she flew without a hitch so I may leave well enough alone. HOWEVER!!! going that far for the first time made me now hungry to go further.. :).

Also downgrading the firmware may interfere with the current versions of litchi I have as well as autopilot.

The park I was at will have fireworks tomorrow night and I hope to be able to launch away from folks and get to the fireworks and get some good video.

Man! What a rush going almost a mile away...Wish I had more than 3 batteries....Hmmmmm, what drone to get next...LOL

Look forward to any suggestions on range or anything else drone related. Had this about a year and only been flying around the house and never really going very far. Man that was fun!

Have a good one folks.

From day one ive wanted to go further and further, my old P2V was at first 800ft then with mods it went to 2000ft then with more mods it went to 6000ft, ive since switched to the P3A and my last flight was 11990ft before i lost FPV and decided that 2.27 miles was far enough, at least for now. be careful once you start its hard to stop

Reactions: Numone and lablover
From day one ive wanted to go further and further, my old P2V was at first 800ft then with mods it went to 2000ft then with more mods it went to 6000ft, ive since switched to the P3A and my last flight was 11990ft before i lost FPV and decided that 2.27 miles was far enough, at least for now. be careful once you start its hard to stop

I can't even imagine that range right now...Tomorrow is another day.... :)

Reactions: crash1sttime
It's always fun to keep pushing limits on range. I remember when I bought my first drone --- a P2 Vision+ in August 2014 --- I was nervous about flying that sucker more than 400 feet away from me the first couple weeks I had it. Then I got brave and flew it out half a mile and felt like a "bad azz". Installed an FPVLR kit and routinely made 1.5 mile flights without breaking a sweat. Bought a P3P in 2015 and a FPVLR kit and now make 3 mile range flights on calm days and it's as easy as taking a dump. Still get palpitations when I push it out 3 miles+ and suddenly lose all telemetry --- that's when you push the RTH button and ..... PRAY .... and your heart rate and breathing go into overdrive :p

Reactions: kb-p3 and lablover
It's always fun to keep pushing limits on range. I remember when I bought my first drone --- a P2 Vision+ in August 2014 --- I was nervous about flying that sucker more than 400 feet away from me the first couple weeks I had it. Then I got brave and flew it out half a mile and felt like a "bad azz". Installed an FPVLR kit and routinely made 1.5 mile flights without breaking a sweat. Bought a P3P in 2015 and a FPVLR kit and now make 3 mile range flights on calm days and it's as easy as taking a dump. Still get palpitations when I push it out 3 miles+ and suddenly lose all telemetry --- that's when you push the RTH button and ..... PRAY .... and your heart rate and breathing go into overdrive :p

OH BOY

153.00 bucks for the FPVLR kit...Look out credit card here I come.....Hope it doesn't matter firmware etc....I gotta get this bad boy

Hmmmm..gotta look into this FPVLR kit thing. :)

Top quality stuff made in Florida --- I've purchased a kit for my old P2V+ and my current P3P and they work fabulous --- long range flying is like helical heroin! :p

Get add-on battery upgrades and then you're talking 5 and 6 mile range flights without even breaking a bead of sweat on your brow!

Top quality stuff made in Florida --- I've purchased a kit for my old P2V+ and my current P3P and they work fabulous --- long range flying is like helical heroin! :p

Get a battery upgrade and then you're talking 5 and 6 mile range flights without even breaking a bead of sweat on your brow!

Oh yea, I'm already reading the long range thread....Man this is gonna be fun. Also reading on battery upgrades

when you push the RTH button and ..... PRAY .... and your heart rate and breathing go into overdrive :p

Or as we call it, joining the brown trouser brigade :eek:

Or as we call it, joining the brown trouser brigade :eek:

I flew my P3P out 3.5 miles last week on a calm day. Started getting FPV signal breakup around 3 miles, and then at 3.5 I got the dreaded "Lost Connection" message on my iPad Mini 3. Hit the RTH button and started feeling a little gooey fudge squirt out on the BVD's! Heart rate and respiration shot up to redline. I had 911 on speed dial and was ready to hit the call button. Luckily, about a mile away I get a good signal and the FPV & telemetry returns and I'm at 30% battery. All my bodily functions return to normal --- except for that smelly skid mark in my undies! Lesson learned. :eek:

A guy on EBay has a P3A for sale with some big honking transmitter on the controller that is advertised as getting out 4 to 5 miles. He said he never went past 3 miles because he got scared. I would be scared at 2 miles, let alone 4. That boggles the mind. Besides, wouldn't you run out of battery time 3 or 4 miles out and 3 or 4 miles back?

Lablover,
You remind me of myself, I have read a ton of stuff about my phantom 3 advanced, on this forum and others but I still get nervous as hell when my ship becomes a small dot, I push the RTH and pray, the rush is frightening and fun.

3 miles is about 15,000 feet. That's 30,000 feet out and back. Enough juice for that?

I dont have a battery mod for my P3P so I've pushed the limits on the stock batteries many times.

Under ideal conditions like a totally calm day with ZERO wind --- my personal record is 4.1 miles out and back with full signal and manual control the whole way and about 5% remaining on the battery when it landed. That is basically full throttle forward pitch the entire way out and back with no lingering any point in between.

Of course, I'm using the dual amp kit from FPVLR to achieve this kind of range. :D

Reactions: kb-p3
I fly mostly beyond line of sight.
If i can see my drone, it's too close, why bother.
If I can't send it beyond max, great lenghts over water, total disregard for recovery, and quite comfortable with it.
Although loosing completel connectivity does increase the pucker factor

If I can't send it beyond max, great lenghts over water, total disregard for recovery, and quite comfortable with it.
It is exciting, but I cant afford to replace my Phantom every time I lose it.

You must have deep pockets!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4