What is your Ideal "prime" lens for Phantoms/Mavics?!

Reaction score
So over the years I have had 5 drones or so with various cameras, and I was thinking about this as I am reading about the new rumors about the potential new Mavic that DJi could announce next week.

Im currently on a P4 Pro. After having all the other phantoms as well as an Inspire 1 pro (that I had 2 lenses for) I am curious what is the ideal lens for a fixed lens system. Id love to upgrade to the potential new Mavic, but NOT if it is above 24mm. (

24mm seems like a good width and FOV. Wide enough to capture good pano's, but also allows a person to get a little closer for more details. Wide angle is where it is at for drones obviously, but I am starting to think that having some choices would be excellent although unlikely.

Personally, I would love a quality 20mm optic around F1.8. Im assuming it would be fairly large, but the width plus low light ability would just be awesome.

When I had my Inspire I had the Olympus 12mm and the detail/sharpness was just awesome. I believe its 35mm equiv was 24 so I was ok with that, but as a hobbyist I found myself way too nervous and anxious flying around 5k in the sky at any given time so I sold it all off and enjoy the P4 Pro's ease of hauling around.

*a recent shot from my P4Pro*

Attachments

• DJI_0201-1.jpg
    DJI_0201-1.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 367
I’d like 35mm. Drone is basically never in closed quarters anyway - if I need wide angle I can just fly back the needed distance. And less props in view with narrower DoF.

And able to get close ups without tearing off peoples faces.

Reactions: Helihover
If there was an option, in addition to the 24mm lens, I'd realistically like 50mm.

If we could only have one lens, then 35mm would be preferable to 24mm. As Dronefriend says above, if you need a wider view, you can (usually) fly backwards.

If I can be silly for a moment, I'd like my 300mm f2.8mm Nikon lens mounted on the drone for wildlife shots. But the drone might not be able to takeoff as the lens' considerable amount of glass makes it rather heavy.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Completely depends on use-case. Just like my dSLRs, the lens I place on them totally dependent on the job.

Completely depends on use-case. Just like my dSLRs, the lens I place on them totally dependent on the job.
But.. if you had to choose one?

Probably 35mm... While the wide angle is nice for lower level flights, as mentioned elsewhere, you can always fly higher...can’t always get closer.

Reactions: Dronefriend

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers