P3P...got brave and stretched her legs..For me anyway

It's a great feeling flying long distance ! It gets addictive though !
That is so true. I passed my first mile and thought it was scary and then realized there was nothing to it. I just pushed out 10800 feet or just over 2 miles and I want to go farther.

Got out into a big open area today to see how brave I could get. P3P with 1.6 on the Rc and 1.9 on the AC. After a few flights and the wind surfer panels I went out to 4500 ft. Yea, I know many have gone tons farther but I felt pretty good getting out that far without soiling myself, plus I could no longer see the AC at that distance soooooo.

I did try without the wind surfers and started getting weak transmission signal at about 2000 ft. I thought part of that might of been because some high voltage power lines were very close by. Added the wind surfers and tried again and chickened out at about 4500 without any weak trans signal warnings. I wonder if I tried to downgrade the AC firmware to 1.7 if I could eliminate the weak trans signal at all. I will say she flew without a hitch so I may leave well enough alone. HOWEVER!!! going that far for the first time made me now hungry to go further.. :).

Also downgrading the firmware may interfere with the current versions of litchi I have as well as autopilot.

The park I was at will have fireworks tomorrow night and I hope to be able to launch away from folks and get to the fireworks and get some good video.

Man! What a rush going almost a mile away...Wish I had more than 3 batteries....Hmmmmm, what drone to get next...LOL

Look forward to any suggestions on range or anything else drone related. Had this about a year and only been flying around the house and never really going very far. Man that was fun!

Have a good one folks.
Agree - like pushing the boundaries. Was having some RC signal issue. Assembled a Windsurfer Wi-Fi antenna reflector and doubled my range for pennies. There's a lot of interference in my area, and the directional antenna helps cut through the crap and retain control of the bird.

Been over 2 1/2 miles with my P3P and still a strong signal. It was over the ocean, spooky with no landmarks that I could see on my 10.1" screen. Began having bad thoughts about getting the drone wet. You should have seen how fast I hit the RTH.

No FEAR here, I keep pushing past the last distance run(26k,28k,30k,33k.and this morning 41396'.. (7.8 miles) P3P ,No mods.wind surfer. 98% battery at takeoff. max ht under 150' (pretty sure I can keep it under 120' next shot),over the ocean.Apparently it auto lands itself at 9% battery.(because it landed itself 3' in front of me and 30' from the ocean. I'll see if I can change that to auto land at 3-4%.On distance runs I leave REC off.and usually turn off running lights(but I forgot to turn lights off today).Pretty sure I'll get 8- 8.5 miles

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0803.JPG.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 255
Reactions: lablover
No FEAR here, I keep pushing past the last distance run(26k,28k,30k,33k.and this morning 41396'.. (7.8 miles) P3P ,No mods.wind surfer. 98% battery at takeoff. max ht under 150' (pretty sure I can keep it under 120' next shot),over the ocean.Apparently it auto lands itself at 9% battery.(because it landed itself 3' in front of me and 30' from the ocean. I'll see if I can change that to auto land at 3-4%.On distance runs I leave REC off.and usually turn off running lights(but I forgot to turn lights off today).Pretty sure I'll get 8- 8.5 miles

WOW, that is unreal...AWESOME. Wind was high this weekend so didn't get much flying in...Grrrr...Oh well, next weekend

My personal record on a stock battery for my P3P is 8.2 miles total distance traveled --- but that was over a very flat part of Ohio with zero wind that day. Doesnt the ocean pretty much always have wind over it? You got a pair of cojones bigger than me if you're willing to see your bird take a dive into the drink because it wont make it back to shore :p

Reactions: lablover
My personal record on a stock battery for my P3P is 8.2 miles total distance traveled --- but that was over a very flat part of Ohio with zero wind that day. Doesnt the ocean pretty much always have wind over it? You got a pair of cojones bigger than me if you're willing to see your bird take a dive into the drink because it wont make it back to shore :p
8.2 miles sounds like a good number to go for;)maybe 8.3:D.
Yes flying on the islands (and anywhere really)you gotta play the wind, AND the tide .(usually with the tide change we get a wind change)it was a 13-15mph headwind heading out (full throttle=24-27mph). Run out till the battery hits 45%,hightail it back at 37-39 mph and hope for the best.
Yeah ,i know the consequences of flying where I fly:D:D:DI dont want to lose it but I like flying the water. What I would miss is the firmware (1 .7 I think)

8.2 miles sounds like a good number to go for;)maybe 8.3:D.
Yes flying on the islands (and anywhere really)you gotta play the wind, AND the tide .(usually with the tide change we get a wind change)it was a 13-15mph headwind heading out (full throttle=24-27mph). Run out till the battery hits 45%,hightail it back at 37-39 mph and hope for the best.
Yeah ,i know the consequences of flying where I fly:D:D:DI dont want to lose it but I like flying the water. What I would miss is the firmware (1 .7 I think)

Playing the wind can be fun but it's still riskier than a calm day. For example, you might fly out against a head wind and assume that it will be a tail wind coming back, but what if winds suddenly change and now you're facing a head wind coming home? Say BYE BYE, birdie, as it dives into the drink! :(

It seems that everyone gets crazy long distance at low altitudes over the ocean. But when you live out in the sticks (south Louisiana) with tons of trees and plenty of rf interference, even with cheap directional boosters, you can't hardly make a mile without losing connection to the aircraft. Notice that I blacked out my location and altitude. I had no camera/gimbal on my pro when I made this trip. And now that I just installed a brand new camera I'm nervous as all get out about attempting this again, at this location or any other where I don't have wide open space with little to no interference...
3623f63e7d4d8ef1fab1969d385a7d98.jpg
I wonder why you get so much interference in an area that appears to have little population? (Conspiracy theorists can now chime in!)

Playing the wind can be fun but it's still riskier than a calm day. For example, you might fly out against a head wind and assume that it will be a tail wind coming back, but what if winds suddenly change and now you're facing a head wind coming home? Say BYE BYE, birdie, as it dives into the drink! :(
It's always risky to fly,and Im not wanting to stay grounded until its perfect conditions.I know how the winds works (and it is ever changing here)and Im willing to take that chance.

I finally did the same a few weeks ago. I have an elementary school exactly 1 mile from my house that is surrounded by nothing but open farmland on 3 sides. This is where I go to do all my testing for new software and just to fly for fun. I called my wife and told her I was going to fly from the school to the house to go outside and watch for me. I flew over to my house and actually landed it in my driveway...that's when it got a little scary for me. I guess the WiFi from my house..trees etc started causing the signal to go in and out. Luckily I was able to take off again and once I got back up about a 100ft or so got a good signal back! It was definitely an Adrenalin rush! LOL. The thing is I have all my drones insured with State Farm so if I crash one, its stolen etc...they send me a check so I wasn't to worried about losing it!

Did it today. Longest flight for me to date. 1.75 miles out!,, Wow what a rush. Got back with plenty of battery left as well. Next weekend I shoot for 2 miles out. I cut it short today because the parking lot I took of from at the local,park started to fill up with cars for a Sunday baseball game

I have to say that was a total riot! Used litchi and never got a single hic up at all. Great signal all the way

Whew

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor