RTH Issue

Reaction score
So today I took my phantom 4 out for the first time in a little over a year and encountered a few problems I'm looking for help with.

1) when I click the RTH feature even though I have my RTH altitude set at 40 meters the AC just flies up until it reaches 400 feet. Any insight on to why this would happen?

2) my iPad mini after about 20 or so minutes of flying will display an error message saying that the temperature is to hot and to let it cool down and the screen will go black. I live in Massachusetts and today it is rather warm 90+ degrees but I still have never encountered this issue in the past.

3) one of my 3 batteries does not appear to be showing any signs of life. The LED's do not turn on, even when plugged into the dji charger.

I had to stop flying for a while due to life, but are any of these issues things that you have seen before? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

1) when I click the RTH feature even though I have my RTH altitude set at 40 meters the AC just flies up until it reaches 400 feet. Any insight on to why this would happen?
First thought. Do you have anything like a gimbal guard on the aircraft? Also, how close were you when you initiated RTH?

Reactions: Capt KO
First thought. Do you have anything like a gimbal guard on the aircraft? Also, how close were you when you initiated RTH?

Yes I do have a gimbal guard on and not that far only a few hundred feet away. I did go up past 40 meters and tried to RTH and the AC still kept ascending

es I do have a gimbal guard on and not that far only a few hundred feet away.
I believe the guard is the issue. It is blocking the VPS sensors. If you want to know for sure, you will need to look at your flight logs. If you have not done that before, upload your .txt log from your device to the link below and look at the VPS altitude. If you need assistance with that place a link back here to the uploaded log and we can tell you if that is the issue. Have seen this a few times with guards on the P4. ( Instructions are on the link )

Log Viewer

Reactions: Capt KO
So I took the guard off and adjusted the max altitude so both RTH and max altitude was right about 100ft. Same problem the AC will reach the 100ft limit and hover where it is and won't return home. Only time it will return home is if it is directly above me

So I took the guard off and adjusted the max altitude so both RTH and max altitude was right about 100ft. Same problem the AC will reach the 100ft limit and hover where it is and won't return home. Only time it will return home is if it is directly above me
Your second statement makes no sense. If the aircraft is too close to the home point and you initiate RTH, it will land where it is. As I mentioned, If you can post the flight log we can take a look and see what is going on. That is the first step to diagnosing the issue. You can make guesses all day, the data should give you the answer.

Reactions: Ruben Fred
adjusted the max altitude so both RTH and max altitude was right about 100ft.
This is not an accurate test. You have to remember that the barometer can be off ( altitude wise ) at times. If you set these to the same altitutude, the aircraft may or may not be able to climb to the set RTH altitude. The aircraft will not descend to a set RTH altitude. It will only climb. That is to say that if you are flying above the set RTH, it will return at its current altitude.

Ok, the first flight from Post#9, shows that you gave full throttle up to the set max altitude. You initiated RTH, and the aicraft was returning as it should. As you can see the distance decrease below. You then cancelled RTH twice more, and re initiated.
Still the aircraft was performing as it should as fare as I can see. I have not looked at the other two sets as of yet, but this is a quick preliminary.

Sorry if I am being a pain, but when initiate rth it says that it will be returning to home but it does not it just hovers at max height. I will takw it out again tonight and change the max height so it is not the same as the RTH. I am confused as to why it is not returning and only hovering

Sorry if I am being a pain, but when initiate rth it says that it will be returning to home but it does not it just hovers at max height.
It was at max height, but if you look at the distance in the graph above, it was decreasing (aka...returning )

I am confused as to why it is not returning and only hovering
Another quick glance at the other files. Nothing detailed here but I noticed in ALL flights you were only a max of 75ft from the home point. That could be another issue. That is approximately the max range for RTH and not landing. You are right on the cusp there.

Here is another one of me flying it further away, when I click RTH, it just ascends to max height and hovers. I guess distance could be an issue since its not too far away but I am unfamiliar with the area I am flying so I dont want to take it too far away until I figure out what is going on. Dont know why it ascends to max height and yes I see that it is descending very slowly distance wise. When I was consistently flying over a year back it returned much quicker

Same scenario here for the additional flight. Notice how close your RTH and MAX altitude are...setting wise and actual.

Understood. But it also does this when the RTH is set to 40 and max was set to 400 ft. Can provide that flight log later tonight

But it also does this when the RTH is set to 40 and max was set to 400 ft.
That may be part of the issue. If you recorded that flight with the gimbal guard. There are quite a number of variables here. It is most difficult to pinpoint an issue when the initial variables change. ( Aka..settings...etc ). For evaluation purposes you should never introduce different variables that were not present when the issue began.

In this flight I set the RTH to 262ft I clicked RTH at 208ft and then it went all the way to the MAX just shy of 400 and sat there. Really not sure what the issue could be. I updated all of the firmware to the most current version before I began to fly this morning, maybe something to do with that?

In this flight I set the RTH to 262ft I clicked RTH at 208ft and then it went all the way to the MAX just shy of 400 and sat there.
Is this before or after you removed the gimbal guard?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31