RTH Issue

In this flight I set the RTH to 262ft I clicked RTH at 208ft and then it went all the way to the MAX just shy of 400 and sat there. Really not sure what the issue could be. I updated all of the firmware to the most current version before I began to fly this morning, maybe something to do with that?
I'm not convinced you have a problem at all.
If you do a simple test with an RTH height of just 20 or 30 metres and don't have your RTH path facing towards the sun, you should see things working properly.
In a number of your flight records I see this message explaining what you interpret as hovering ... RTH: Backing up to avoid obstacle
In one of your 400 ft attempts, when you cancel the RTH and try to fly manually, you have full right stick but only manage 8 mph against a strong wind .. wind that is enough to prevent RTH from making headway.

Do a simple test at low altitudes and see what's really happening.

But does that explain why the AC is flying straight past the RTH altitude to Max altitude?

But does that explain why the AC is flying straight past the RTH altitude to Max altitude?
No, it does not. This one is a bit different. Other than one small spike from the VPS right after RTH was initiated ( Which should not mean anything ), we may need to see the aircraft .dat file to know more. I always prefer more "eyes" on the data, just in case. @sar104 Your opinion?

Also there wasn't that much wind only about 7 mph. So not sure on the speed either

Yes ... when the sun is appearing as an obstacle, the drone tries to climb past it.
Your flight data tells you that the drone is trying to avoid an obstacle.
Do a simple test at 20 metres with the RTH not going towards a low, bright sun.

When the 400ft flight was done, it was dusk and the AC was not facing the sun
Your flight data shows warnings that the drone was avoiding obstacles.
Also there wasn't that much wind only about 7 mph. So not sure on the speed either
I explained that your speed with full right stick showed clearly that there was a significant wind 400 feet up.

You have too many flight records to make this simple and haven't looked in detail at any of them (OA messages have been missed).
Forget past flights and do one simple test at low altitude with obstacle avoidance disabled and look at that properly.

Ok will do first thing in the morning. Ill make sure to turn obstacle avoidance off. Appreciate the help

Good new, you were right! When I turned the obstacle avoidance feature off it worked perfectly. So that leads me to believe one of two things.

1 - That you are correct about the sun

2- There may be something wrong with one of the front facing sensors.

In the morning I will try to put obstacle avoidance back on and do the same test. If it does happen to be a sensor issue, how would I go about getting that fixed?

Thank you all for the help, it really is appreciated

No, it does not. This one is a bit different. Other than one small spike from the VPS right after RTH was initiated ( Which should not mean anything ), we may need to see the aircraft .dat file to know more. I always prefer more "eyes" on the data, just in case. @sar104 Your opinion?

View attachment 112825

Yes - what is happening is that the FC is detecting an obstacle to RTH, and so it climbs to try to avoid it. Since the obstacle is spurious and continues to be detected, the aircraft climbs to its maximum flight altitude and then hovers.

Ok so I took my P4 out this morning and narrowed the issue down to having to do with the RTH Obstacle Check feature. When ever this was enabled, the AC would again just fly to max height and hover. However if I disabled this feature and kept the Obstacle Avoidance feature on the AC would RTH properly (also worked if both were off).

I re-calibrated using the assistant 2 platform last night and made sure to wipe all 4 sensors with a paper towel. So not sure what to do here, I would like for this feature to work.

Here are the flight logs from this morning:

When ever this was enabled, the AC would again just fly to max height and hover. However if I disabled this feature and kept the Obstacle Avoidance feature on the AC would RTH properly (also worked if both were off).
After looking at 5 of the flights, all of the RTH initiations were done in the approximate area below. I am suspecting that the VPS, and/or OA is seeing this building or the trees. That is a commonality in each flight. Try a flight in an open area where there are no buildings to obstruct the sensors and see if you get the same results. Then you will know for certain, since the aircraft functioned normally with the VPS turned off.

RTH.png

So I figured it out, I plugged the AC into assistant 2 and reset it to factory, then re-installed the firmware update and it worked no issues. No clue what happened but I am glad it is fixed. Thanks again for the help everyone

After looking at 5 of the flights, all of the RTH initiations were done in the approximate area below. I am suspecting that the VPS, and/or OA is seeing this building or the trees. That is a commonality in each flight. Try a flight in an open area where there are no buildings to obstruct the sensors and see if you get the same results. Then you will know for certain, since the aircraft functioned normally with the VPS turned off.

Doesn't that seem a bit unlikely if it was still detecting obstacles at 400 ft AGL?

Doesn't that seem a bit unlikely if it was still detecting obstacles at 400 ft AGL?
If you are looking at the flight over the baseball field, I believe that was before the OP removed the gimbal guard.

Yes the flight over the ball field was after the guard was removed. I just went out and tested several times in the location with the buildings and all OA sensors on and it worked fine. Must have been a glitch in the initial firmwarw update

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl