Question regarding airport and helipad regulations!

Reaction score
I want to fly my Phantom4 in Nashville,TN at a park near my house, but when I pull up my B4Ufly app I get the following: "warning action required: airspace restriction, and airports within 5 miles." ALL of the following airports excluding Nashville International Airport are not AIRPORTS but instead HELIPORTS. So, my questions are, FIRST: do I need to notify Nashville International of my flight? SECOND: do I need to notify all the surrounding heliports or just fly within the guidelines of not interfering and staying clear of all manned aircraft?

P.S. I have never seen a helicopter fly near or around this park!

IVE ATTACHED FILES WHICH CONTAIN SCREENSHOTS OF MY AIRSPACE RESTRICTION AND AIRPORTS WITHIN 5 MILES (KEEP IN MIND ALL ARE HELIPORTS EXCEPT FOR NASHVILLE INTERNATIONAL)

Attachments

• IMG_0163.PNG
    IMG_0163.PNG
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0162.PNG
    IMG_0162.PNG
    161.8 KB · Views: 944

Attachments

• IMG_0164.PNG
    IMG_0164.PNG
    916.4 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
FAA regulations does not say anything about notifying helipads. Some one correct me if I'M wrong.

If there is no tower or controller you should be good.

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

SOURCE: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Use of Model Aircraft Near an Airport – Airports
  1. Is model aircraft use prohibited within five statute miles of an airport?
    There are no legislative prohibitions. However, Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 requires the operator of the model aircraft to notify the airport operator and airport traffic control tower (if one is located on the airport) prior to operating within five miles of an airport. For ease in determining distances, the FAAinterprets this as five statute[5] miles from an airport reference point (ARP) as denoted in the current FAA Digital - Chart Supplement (d-CS) or for airports not denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current FAA-published aeronautical chart. Please note that model aircraft operators must also comply with the requirements of the airspace where they intend to fly the model aircraft. Please refer the model aircraft operator to the local airport traffic control tower, if one is located at the airport, for specific questions on airspace operating requirements.

2. What procedure should I follow for a permanent model aircraft flying location that is within five statue miles of my airport?
    Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 states that:

“Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within five statute miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)."

A best practice for the airport operator is to enter into a letter of agreement (LOA) with the model aircraft operator, or operator’s outlining the airport operator’s understanding of how the model aircraft will be operated within five statute miles of the airport. This LOA could include:
    • The type of model aircraft being used,
    • Parameters for the flight (altitude and locations)
    • Anticipated Times for flight
    • The safety guidelines the model aircraft operator will use, and
    • Notification procedures to the airport operator, if any.
    A benefit to the airport operator for establishing a “mutually agreed upon operating procedure” is that the agreement could eliminate the need for the model aircraft operator calling the airport each time they fly, which is a requirement under Section 336. This is because the LOA described above would include a mutual understanding of how the model aircraft would be operated.

The Model Aircraft operator, or operators, should contact the airport traffic control tower if one is located at the airport to also establish and LOA with the ATCT.

I am within 5 miles of an airport every time I fly and I have a capitol building that is restricted as well. I just call the tower every time I fly and they are use to hearing my voice. I also just make sure I know where the capitol boundaries are and don't fly past them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you are looking to contact someone in the hospital I would try the switchboard and get a head nurse in the er. Most hospitals are contacted through pd aviation or whatever paid company does air transport when the helicopter is on its way in. They kind of act like the tower from there. If the Lz is not fenced off they also have to coordinate security to keep it clear

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Michael Thompson
If you are looking to contact someone in the hospital I would try the switchboard and get a head nurse in the er. Most hospitals are contacted through pd aviation or whatever paid company does air transport when the helicopter is on its way in. They kind of act like the tower from there. If the Lz is not fenced off they also have to coordinate security to keep it clear

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
So hospitals with helipads have to be contacted prior to flight?

So hospitals with helipads have to be contacted prior to flight?
I would call the hospital switchboard and enquire - they should be able to put you through to the right department for clearance. The very nature of a hospital heliport means the flights mostly arent planned ahead - activity usually being when a medical urgency requires, so I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt want you flying there, then again they may just allow it and thank you for letting them know you are flyin nearby.

God, if I needed to notify every helipad around me I would just never fly. I'm surrounded. Most are just landing zones/hospital helipads... I just try to be aware where they are etc. Actual heliports, I have like 1 by me, then I have 1 small airport 20 minute from me, then Newark Liberty Int'l Airport about half hour away.

192214ea5c91e4bba568f85fd509f7ec.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I want to fly my Phantom4 in Nashville,TN at a park near my house, but when I pull up my B4Ufly app I get the following: "warning action required: airspace restriction, and airports within 5 miles." ALL of the following airports excluding Nashville International Airport are not AIRPORTS but instead HELIPORTS. So, my questions are, FIRST: do I need to notify Nashville International of my flight? SECOND: do I need to notify all the surrounding heliports or just fly within the guidelines of not interfering and staying clear of all manned aircraft?

P.S. I have never seen a helicopter fly near or around this park!

IVE ATTACHED FILES WHICH CONTAIN SCREENSHOTS OF MY AIRSPACE RESTRICTION AND AIRPORTS WITHIN 5 MILES (KEEP IN MIND ALL ARE HELIPORTS EXCEPT FOR NASHVILLE INTERNATIONAL)

If you click on the airport in the map, it will give you a number to call.
U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20